Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Builders bulldoze Mayan pyramid in Belize

DieChecker

Prosecutors said they were considering bringing criminal charges against the construction company. What is there to consider for gosh sakes....they destroyed a historic landmark....prosecute their asses!!!!

• Like 3

would be nice if they would be forced to stop where they are and let archeologists dig through the rubble for any artifacts that may have been inside the pyramid.

Maybe something could be found that would otherwise have been lost to history through the preservation of the pyramid.

- I'm digging deep for a silver lining here.

Hopefully this happens, and if so, I hope the archaeologists set up the most conplex and time consuming field dig possible, and halt construction of the road for months if not years. That would be poetic justice, to some extent at least...

• Like 3

This gets worse the more I read of it. Seems many ohter sites have been used for the cheap abundant stone as well. The company is owned by a high ranking politician too.

And you watch the company that did this will probably only get a minor fine :/

The construction company should be buried in what's left of the ruins with gravel stones from the road they paved.

Here in the U.S. it would have been to erect a Wal-Mart.

• Like 4

Wow that commit by "Zalanox" ! wOW ! DID HE ,SHE WHAT THE HECK EVER THEY MAYBE aRRE YOU REAL?

Brings a new meaning to the Troll world I agree. Whats that drug that made people go mad like that ?

Oh ! Ignorance Thats the ticket ! :no:

So very Sad ! But Now the words out and Were watching You Down there !

• Like 1

In Hawai'i construction, no matter how much it costs, will come to a screeching halt if anything from ancient times is found, especially bones of the ancestors.

There are hundreds if not thousands of altars (Heiau) built by the ancient Hawai'ians and these are very important to the native Hawai'ian community. They are not pyramids or anything fancy like that but these spots were and still are sacred areas. People still leave offerings to the various gods they believe in. There is no way ever something like this would happen, they wouldn't even be able to get close to a site with that kind of equipment.

We actually did have an incident where the bones of ancient Hawai'ians were found at the site of a new Walmart and that wreaked total havoc. It ultimately got built but I think they had to pay to have the bones relocated and ceremonies had to be performed.

Conflicts between past and present occur all the time here; one of the most recent where petroglyphs were vandalized and the suspects were thought to be photographers that wanted to make the petroglyphs stand out more. Idiots.

I don't have to believe in the ancient spirituality to respect the importance of these things, to know that the antiquities of a culture help us to understand where we came from and sometimes where we are going.

When those construction people, from the owners who ok'd it to the driver who carried out the infraction, destroyed the mound they disrespected the culture, the people and the ancients associated with the area. It was complete and utter disregard for their history and that is sad.

• Like 3

So they tore down some pos lump in the ground built by a bunch of idiots who believed in gods and sacrificed people who lost at games. Why is this upsetting people?

We don't have to preserve every damn thing our ancestors touched.

Well maybe not in your case. Yours are still swinging through the trees. But history gives meaning to humanity from where they came from and what they accomplished. Stupid greedy and sad. They should be fined heftily for desacrating a protected site.

• Like 3

In Hawai'i construction, no matter how much it costs, will come to a screeching halt if anything from ancient times is found, especially bones of the ancestors.

There are hundreds if not thousands of altars (Heiau) built by the ancient Hawai'ians and these are very important to the native Hawai'ian community. They are not pyramids or anything fancy like that but these spots were and still are sacred areas. People still leave offerings to the various gods they believe in. There is no way ever something like this would happen, they wouldn't even be able to get close to a site with that kind of equipment.

We actually did have an incident where the bones of ancient Hawai'ians were found at the site of a new Walmart and that wreaked total havoc. It ultimately got built but I think they had to pay to have the bones relocated and ceremonies had to be performed.

Conflicts between past and present occur all the time here; one of the most recent where petroglyphs were vandalized and the suspects were thought to be photographers that wanted to make the petroglyphs stand out more. Idiots.

I don't have to believe in the ancient spirituality to respect the importance of these things, to know that the antiquities of a culture help us to understand where we came from and sometimes where we are going.

When those construction people, from the owners who ok'd it to the driver who carried out the infraction, destroyed the mound they disrespected the culture, the people and the ancients associated with the area. It was complete and utter disregard for their history and that is sad.

Great one Lava Lady ! My brother-n-Law Lives on the Big-Island and has for over Fifty years ,When we were there two years ago he took us to camp on privet land north of the Air port on a beach with a Royal Bath pool that was dug right into the Lava,and is half salt water&half fresh water from the Hills. Its really a Honor to get to see and actually swim in these places. THe Beach alone is such a Dream Beach ! Only accessed by 4-wheel or sea !

Aloha !justDONTEATUS :tu:

• Like 1

Great one Lava Lady ! My brother-n-Law Lives on the Big-Island and has for over Fifty years ,When we were there two years ago he took us to camp on privet land north of the Air port on a beach with a Royal Bath pool that was dug right into the Lava,and is half salt water&half fresh water from the Hills. Its really a Honor to get to see and actually swim in these places. THe Beach alone is such a Dream Beach ! Only accessed by 4-wheel or sea !

Aloha !justDONTEATUS :tu:

You are lucky! I don't know a quarter of what's on the Big Island, hardly get out there and for us islanders it's just such a long damn drive to get across that island... :) Anything over an hour (the usual transit time on O'ahu and only due to traffic) is miserable for us.

I will be going out to the Kona side soon though. Can't wait... :)

Nothing lasts forever.

Edited by rustygh

Nothing lasts forever.

Not in nature, no. But a bulldozer is preventable.

• Like 2

It was complete and utter disregard for their history and that is sad.

unfortunately Lady, this kind of thing happens all the time over here. we've lost hundreds of ancient sites to industry. a few years ago we lost a group of stone circles to a quarry company, despite dedicated protests, campaigns by local residents that an alternative site was a better prospect, and all to no avail. archeologists were allowed two weeks to excavate & document the site, then it was destroyed, after 4000yrs of doing no-one any harm. the thornborough henges near to me are in danger of being lost to a gypsum mine, ruining a major prehistoric site when the whole area is built on gypsum and could be mined elsewhere.

even stonehenge has a road built through it, that campaigners have been trying for decades to have removed, but govt. doesn't deem this most famous of sites as being worth the cost.

sad indeed.

• Like 1

Wow... They can build a mcdonalds... History is pretty cheap to some

The deep sea trawlers have been destroying any potential evidence from the world's shores and shallow seas, but it doesn't seem to be regarded so big issue because you dont know if the evidence is there in that case. I'd regard it a bigger issue in archeological perspective though, because it destroys any potential evidence that we haven't even begun to find yet. But I guess it's late for that now.

Meeting and exceeding the qualifications for 3rd world country

very sad to read this. i hope the guy who told them to do this goes to jail

• Like 1

unfortunately Lady, this kind of thing happens all the time over here. we've lost hundreds of ancient sites to industry. a few years ago we lost a group of stone circles to a quarry company, despite dedicated protests, campaigns by local residents that an alternative site was a better prospect, and all to no avail. archeologists were allowed two weeks to excavate & document the site, then it was destroyed, after 4000yrs of doing no-one any harm. the thornborough henges near to me are in danger of being lost to a gypsum mine, ruining a major prehistoric site when the whole area is built on gypsum and could be mined elsewhere.

even stonehenge has a road built through it, that campaigners have been trying for decades to have removed, but govt. doesn't deem this most famous of sites as being worth the cost.

sad indeed.

That really is unfortunate... :(

I love going to the ancient sites here, it's so amazing to feel the petroglyphs and wonder who it was so long ago that left this tiny piece of art and probably had no idea that it would last this long. It's like holding hands with the past.

There are grave sites on Maui I visited that are really old with the bones of the deceased still in there. Having been lovingly placed by family and some still get flowers and other gifts.

I feel sad that some people don't care.

Edited by Lava_Lady
  • Like 1

That really is unfortunate... :(

I love going to the ancient sites here, it's so amazing to feel the petroglyphs and wonder who it was so long ago that left this tiny piece of art and probably had no idea that it would last this long. It's like holding hands with the past.

There are grave sites on Maui I visited that are really old with the bones of the deceased still in there. Having been lovingly placed by family and some still get flowers and other gifts.

I feel sad that some people don't care.

It is kind of like someone tearing down Mt Rushmore to get gravel for a parking lot. It is simply disrespectful. Or knocking down Stonehenge to build condos.

• Like 1