Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I have a conection with spirts I think..Help?

Mynameisnotimportant

This is not funny at all. If a "doctor" often prescribes debilitating antipsychotics for children with conduct disorders, eating disorders, depression etc. what the hell do you think they might do to a child with "a connection to spirits". Hopefully the kid stopped posting before his parents found out, especially if they would take him to a doctor for this kind of thing.

I could show you thousands of these.....You must be in one of these cults....

Faith-Healing Parents to Avoid Jail After Teen Dies Trying to ‘Pray Away’ His Burst Appendix

Faith healing is an immensely controversial means of curing peoples’ ailments. Depending on the extent of one’s illness, the practice can be down-right dangerous, particularly when it comes to declining medical care for life-threatening and easily-treatable diseases. Russel and Brandi Bellew of Creswell, Oregon, learned this the hard way after their 16-year-old son died due to a burst appendix last year.

Rather than take their son, Austin, to a doctor or a hospital when his symptoms worsened, the Bellews decided to “pray away” his condition. Now, following his death, they are avoiding jail after admitting that they let their teenager die in an effort to practice their faith healing.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/09/19/faith-healing-parents-will-avoid-jail-after-teen-dies-trying-to-pray-away-his-burst-appendix/

• Like 1

So you are saying, what? That the parents instantly throw their kids into a mental hospital? So you claim to have a clear mind, clearlyI think you watch too many tv shows because on this earth parents aren't jerks.

Mostly likely he suggest to talk to some one to help ease the kids issues

No, that was not what I was saying.

I hardly watch tv, my friend, I deal with the real world.

I was exaggerating the advice many posters have given to the OP about seeking counseling. Obviously, the OP wanted advice from those that are knowledgeable about the subject, so the OP posted here. If the OP thought counseling would help, I'm sure they'd go there so they can be talked out of believing in any such manifestations.

Lmao, knowlegeable.

You can't KNOW what is not proven to exist, you can just BELIEVE in it.

It is proven that psychology and sometimes mixed with medication prescribed by a psychiatrist help people.

See none of you knowlegeable people understand that counselors or psychologists CANNOT prescribe medicine. All they can do is listen and if they believe you need medicine advise or recommend you see a psychiaTRIST not psycholoGIST who is the only one who has the ability to write actual prescriptions. Or one of their RN's.

Advising him to talk to someone isn't advising him to go on medication. Educate yourselves about mental health people. You might actually need what you learn one day.

• Like 3

Lmao, knowlegeable.

You can't KNOW what is not proven to exist, you can just BELIEVE in it.

It is proven that psychology and sometimes mixed with medication prescribed by a psychiatrist help people.

See none of you knowlegeable people understand that counselors or psychologists CANNOT prescribe medicine. All they can do is listen and if they believe you need medicine advise or recommend you see a psychiaTRIST not psycholoGIST who is the only one who has the ability to write actual prescriptions. Or one of their RN's.

Advising him to talk to someone isn't advising him to go on medication. Educate yourselves about mental health people. You might actually need what you learn one day.

:nw::clap::tsu::tu::nw:

• Like 1

There were people who knew being gay wasn't a mental illness, back when the "professionals" were swearing blind it was. Just because scientists can't prove something (yet), doesn't mean it does or doesn't exist and it's pretty weak to continue to use that line in debates. Doesn't really strengthen your argument.

Those people did not " know ", they " believed ".....I do not know that there is yet any 100% proof of why people are gay, nor do I care either way.. ( off topic )

So, if we can not prove something exists yet, you are saying we should say it does exist......At least it does until it is proven to exist.

So, believing makes things exist.

There were people that " knew " the earth was flat ( still are )....

There were people that burned innocent women because they " knew " they were performing witchcraft....

George Bush " knew " Iraq had weapons of mass destruction.....

Sorry, not buying into that.

The truth is, you can not know what is not proven to exist....Coldethyl had it correct.

Nothing weak about using that in a debate, it only makes sense.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1

Tell that to the gay people who knew they didn't have a mental illness. You can say they "believed" they didn't have one but that doesn't change the fact that deep down they knew..and they were proven right. It's not an illness.

It is weak considering, imo, it doesn't strengthen your argument because you can't definitely say it DOESN'T exist (even though you do and will). All you can say is that science hasn't proven one way or another. All you have on your side is your beliefs and all I have is my beliefs. After all, not all scientists believe the same thing because much science is based on theories because it's not advanced enough to know the answer. Quick google search and I find plenty of results for scientists saying they believe there is a soul, a part of us that survives death. Just like I'm sure I could find just as many (who are no more scientifically credible) who refute that idea.

Trying to use " you can not prove it does not exist " to make a case of something being real is so far out in left field.

Really, think about that.

On my side I have facts ( if it is a topic I have studied ), not " belief".

And I would tell that to the Gay people that think or thought that. You can not " know " something if there is no evidence to support what you say you " know "........

That is why one should say " I believe ".....Can not argue that, and there is nothing wrong with believing.

• Like 1

Ok,

First, Being Gay and beliving that they have ghosts following them are TWO completely different things. That is like comparing a brick to a rainbow or Heaven is a halfpipe to an orange.

Let's try and focus on the main topic, The person who did a drive by post and not about people being homosexual.

• Like 1

Not that different...the "pros" said gay was all in the mind, they say ghosts is all in the mind (well, some of them :P ) Goes to show they're not always right. If somebody goes around throwing science in people's faces as part of their argument, they should be reminded that science is divided on this matter and far from united that "it doesn't exist".

I respect your views Brian, just like I respect Coldethyl's and Sakari's - you all dish out some good advice, sometimes - but there's a common misconception here that every single scientist rejects the idea of a soul or life after death, when that's just not true. All any of us can do is form our opinions and beliefs because even science doesn't have the facts.

Refering to the ghosts are following them:

but jumping to the deep end with out elimating the possibilities of the cause is the cause of the concern from the skeptic side. I knew a person here that would change to some one who swears to his/her face that she/he can summon demons and ghosts and yet when she/he was taking her medications, she/he acutally hold a conversation straight for more than 5 minutes with out the need to tell me that her/his coat hangers were made of alien parts.

• Like 1

Not that different...the "pros" said gay was all in the mind, they say ghosts is all in the mind (well, some of them :P ) Goes to show they're not always right. If somebody goes around throwing science in people's faces as part of their argument, they should be reminded that science is divided on this matter and far from united that "it doesn't exist".

I respect your views Brian, just like I respect Coldethyl's and Sakari's - you all dish out some good advice, sometimes - but there's a common misconception here that every single scientist rejects the idea of a soul or life after death, when that's just not true. All any of us can do is form our opinions and beliefs because even science doesn't have the facts.

I think you understand a bit where I come from. If anyone posts " I believe ", I do not argue that at all. It is when people say " I know "...If someone knows, I do expect to see some strong hard evidence backing that up.

I am not sure about what you mean by not all Scientists reject the idea.I have not seen one scientist, or journal, that states they " believe " ghosts or spirits exist. I am pretty sure, anyone that is a actual " scientist ", or " Doctor " of Psychology, states there is no evidence to support that. I really have a hard time giving a person in that profession any credit if they said they think something exists because they believe it.....

Now, I wish I could find this, I have looked numerous times.....Was a few years ago, not sure what I saw it on.

A Psychologist searching for the " soul ".....Was very interesting....So, yes, there are some people researching this.

Edited by Sakari

Well, I am not a "pro", what ever the hell that title is.

Being Gay is not in the mind.

• Like 1

There were people who knew being gay wasn't a mental illness, back when the "professionals" were swearing blind it was. Just because scientists can't prove something (yet), doesn't mean it does or doesn't exist and it's pretty weak to continue to use that line in debates. Doesn't really strengthen your argument.

You missed the point entirely, which was that recommending a counselor or therapist did not mean this 'one hit wonder' poster would be put on drugs automatically.

Also, psychiatry is a work in progress and any good psychiatrist will tell you that. That is why there are changes to the DSM yearly. As SCIENCE learns more it changes.

As far as that goes though, hallucinations are still in there as symptoms for a lot of things, since we are speaking of ghosts.

• Like 1

Yes, thank you coldethyl

]2.5 million: [/b]The number of Americans surveyed for prescription drug use from 2001 to 2010

1/5

One out of every five U.S. adults takes drugs to treat some type of mental health condition

Percent increase in the number of U.S. adults taking mental health drugs in 2010 compared to 2001

Percent increase in the number of women using antidepressants in 2010 compared to 2001

1/5

Proportion of women over the age of 20 who are prescribed antidepressants, like Zoloft and Lexapro

Percent of middle-aged women using anti-anxiety medications

Percent of middle-aged men using anti-anxiety medications

Number of people ages 20 to 44 using antipsychotic drugs (like Resperadol) and ADHD medications (like Ritalin) in 2010 for every one person who used them in 2001

Percent increase in the number of children under age 10 taking antipsychotic medications

Percent increase in the number of girls being prescribed ADHD medications

Percent of people in the “diabetes belt” states of Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Alabama who are on at least one psychiatric drug

Good thing psycologists can't write prescriptions

I 100% agree that all the possibilities have to be eliminated. I read a lot of things on here that just come across fake, sensationalised or even deluded but I do believe a small percentage of people experience real things, that can't be explained by science right now. Some of my own experiences, included.

I'm glad you at least acknowledge that well educated people DO research these subjects because you have said before as basis for an argument that since (in your words) nobody of scientific note was bothering to research the area,

we all know it'll just turn into classic skeptic versus believer debate that never goes anywhere

I have to hit on those.....

Before we use that in later discussions, it was one Doctor, and I can not find his work anywhere now. And, it was on TV. Science has no interest in ghosts and such, because there is not good evidence to support the funding. I mention this many times ( people think I am being sarcastic ). When people claim poltergeists with a ton of activity, or the ability to summon and such, I always say, with that kind of evidence, a University would easily take note, and jump on board to research. Now, Psychology does research some of this to a point ( possessions, Excorsisms, etc. ), but not the outcome you would like.

On the other thing, I have seen, and have myself, helped people find answers with these " skeptic -vs- believer " things you talk of. You may look at it that way, I look at it as a discussion. This is not a game where we have 2 teams looking for a win, that to me is ridiculous. I am here for the discussions, if they interest me, and if I have nothing better to do.I am not here for a cage match. I like to give people facts, and try to put away any " scare tactics " that may be fed to them.

As a matter of fact, I believe Coldethyl this last week, gave information on sleep paralysis to someone whom thought they had a ghost holding them down. After that person read the links, they were thankful to her, and found peace knowing that this was a medical thing, and not something to be afraid of......So, these discussions can lead to good things. And no offense, but I have yet to see someone say they found their answer here, and it was a ghost, etc...

• Like 1

Yes, thank you coldethyl

Good thing psycologists can't write prescriptions

It's because regular general practitioners have started doing the psychiatrists job for them and writing psych meds.

I know because it happened to my sister and brother in law.

General Practitioners need to refer people to therapists instead of just writing prescriptions but the prescription companies get to them.

And you're welcome, my pleasure. Glad to educate.

I will PM my response Sakari as I don't want to see this thread turned into a classic debate. I will say though; I have been personally thanked by somebody from this forum because of the help I offered them and what I offered, appears to have solved their problem. So it's not quite a one way thing as you would have people believe...

Answered your PM, I never said it was a one way thing.

Some people use Praying and faith to help them.

Some use Bartenders...

Some times those work, but most of the time they need to get real help.....

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A couple serving probation for the 2009 death of their toddler after they turned to prayer instead of a doctor could face new charges now that another son has died.

Herbert and Catherine Schaible belong to a fundamentalist Christian church that believes in faith healing. They lost their 8-month-old son, Brandon, last week after he suffered from diarrhea and breathing problems for at least a week, and stopped eating. Four years ago, another son died from bacterial pneumonia.

The "faith healer" parents of an Oregon teenager who died due to a lack of medical care will be required to contact a doctor when any of their other six children are sick for more than one day, according to the terms of their probation.

Russel and Brandi Bellew were sentenced to five years of probation on Tuesday after they pleaded guilty to negligent homicide in the death of Brandi's biological son, Austin Sprout, 16. An autopsy found Austin died of an infection caused by a burst appendix.

The couple, along with their six surviving children, belongs to the General Assembly and Church of the First Born, which eschews modern medicine. The group takes its belief from a New Testament passage in the Gospel of James that says the sick should be prayed over and anointed with oil, according to Rick Ross, an expert on cults.

Yes, we are only talking ghosts, but my example is, facts versus faith......

Anyway, PM answered.

It's because regular general practitioners have started doing the psychiatrists job for them and writing psych meds.

I know because it happened to my sister and brother in law.

General Practitioners need to refer people to therapists instead of just writing prescriptions but the prescription companies get to them.

And you're welcome, my pleasure. Glad to educate.

I guess you missed my point. Which is that with that much medication being prescribed, it is likely any 14 y/o telling his/her parents about having fear at night, would very likely end up on some meds.

So, psycologist, psychiatrist, doctor, lawyer, baker, veterinarian..... who ever he/she talks to... they may end up on some kind of mental health drug.

Which I posit, may lower the poster's defences to external attacks from outside forces.

I guess you missed my point. Which is that with that much medication being prescribed, it is likely any 14 y/o telling his/her parents about having fear at night, would very likely end up on some meds.

So, psycologist, psychiatrist, doctor, lawyer, baker, veterinarian..... who ever he/she talks to... they may end up on some kind of mental health drug.

Which I posit, may lower the poster's defences to external attacks from outside forces.

Not if he calls an anonymous counseling line. And it also depends on the parents. And I believe the whole thing is moot as he apparently was eaten because he hasn't been back.

I could show you thousands of these.....You must be in one of these cults....

Faith-Healing Parents to Avoid Jail After Teen Dies Trying to ‘Pray Away’ His Burst Appendix

Faith healing is an immensely controversial means of curing peoples’ ailments. Depending on the extent of one’s illness, the practice can be down-right dangerous, particularly when it comes to declining medical care for life-threatening and easily-treatable diseases. Russel and Brandi Bellew of Creswell, Oregon, learned this the hard way after their 16-year-old son died due to a burst appendix last year.

Rather than take their son, Austin, to a doctor or a hospital when his symptoms worsened, the Bellews decided to “pray away” his condition. Now, following his death, they are avoiding jail after admitting that they let their teenager die in an effort to practice their faith healing.

http://www.theblaze....burst-appendix/

Cult and faith healing is your answer to an epidemic of over-prescribed drugs for a generation of children, to see how they turn out? That's not science, it's marketing and abuse in the name of science. I guess we will see the results in another ten years or so, for the ones that did not commit suicide.

Cult and faith healing is your answer to an epidemic of over-prescribed drugs for a generation of children, to see how they turn out? That's not science, it's marketing and abuse in the name of science. I guess we will see the results in another ten years or so, for the ones that did not commit suicide.

Can you point out anywhere where I said to prescribe drugs?

No, you can not.....Because I never did.

• Like 2

Can you point out anywhere where I said to prescribe drugs?

No, you can not.....Because I never did.

I know; that was my point: it's what I mentioned and your response had nothing to do with it.

I know; that was my point: it's what I mentioned and your response had nothing to do with it.

Good, because I agree on the over medication humans have come to.

Although, Coldethyl explained it well on whom prescribes the pills. It is not the Psychologists and Counselors, or Parents.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 2

Good, because I agree on the over medication humans have come to.

Although, Coldethyl explained it well on whom prescribes the pills. It is not the Psychologists and Counselors, or Parents.

If they take the kid to a doctor then the doctor might suggest drugs. Doctors get thing horribly wrong all the time. Psychologists are expensive. Counselors might suggest a doctor or a psychiatrist...you get the picture and all should think twice before telling a kid to get "help" when that is obviously not the kind of help asked for in this thread title.

Ugh, the kid is gone! Let it end already!

opinion-1.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...