Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

If every human that existed jumped at once

TheTreasureGamer

Basically, if every single human on the planet jumped at once, what would happen. As well as having 7 billion people jump up at once, what about if everyone that had ever existed/lived jumped at once, combined with the amount of people (7,000,000,000) that are alive today? I know it's not possible, definitely not possible. Just curious. What would you think would happen?

Personally, I think it would cause a 10.3 magnitude earthquake and numerous, large tsunamis everywhere :P

• Like 1

Basically, if every single human on the planet jumped at once, what would happen. As well as having 7 billion people jump up at once, what about if everyone that had ever existed/lived jumped at once, combined with the amount of people (7,000,000,000) that are alive today? I know it's not possible, definitely not possible. Just curious. What would you think would happen?

Personally, I think it would cause a 10.3 magnitude earthquake and numerous, large tsunamis everywhere :P

depends where you are though, mountains, caves, boats

Doubt if anything would happen.

• Like 4

Doubt if anything would happen.

This. We're all scattered over the globe so all that human weight would be pulled towards the center of the Earth, spread over the surface of the Earth.

Ergo, nothing would happen.

yeah but there is always going to be one who jumps too early or too late.bth_eyeroll.gif

• Like 3

Really? Nothing would happen? That's disappointing then :/

• Like 1

One page I've found states that at New York City's density, the world's population could live in the state of Texas. Now, if you look at the size of the earth relative to the size of Texas, I don't think everyone jumping would make much difference to the earth.

http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-product-design/at-nycs-density-the-worlds-population-could-live-in-texas.html

According to my calculations, if everyone weighed an average of 150 pounds, that would make 52 million tons hitting the earth at once.. Maybe that would make something happen in Texas, I don't know..

• Like 1

From the linked article at the end of this:

To cut to the chase, Allain found that our jump would push on the Earth ever so slightly, giving it a recoil speed of 2.6 x 10^-13 m/s. That is, in one second, Earth would move about a hundredth of the radius of a single hydrogen atom .

It's not so much, but would the infinitesimally small recoil last forever? Would we have permanently changed the course of the Earth? Allain says no.

"After all the people jump they would 'fall' back down — move towards the Earth. During this time, the Earth would move back up. All would be as it once was," he told Life's Little Mysteries.

Source: http://www.lifeslitt...ng-at-once.html

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

Can you help me Archimedes?

If every human ever existed would go swimming in the ocean. How much would the sea level rise?

Can you help me Archimedes?

If every human ever existed would go swimming in the ocean. How much would the sea level rise?

Uhh it wont rise

not as far as it would if all the sponges died out.....

:-)

Uhh it wont rise

i'm sure archimedes would say differently.....

• Like 1

If everyone jumped at once, i'm sure we would have thousands of people going to the hospital with sprang ankles.. We would have Half of everyone claiming to have felt some change, the other half claiming to not have felt any change...

In other words.. Life will continue as usual.

• Like 1

um, babies cant jump. disabled in wheelchairs cant jump. white men cant jump etc so........ :blink: lmao :D

seriously I doubt anythin would happen tbh

Edited by kitty81
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What if everyone passed wind at the same time?

• 2 weeks later...

Depends.

Are all their asses pointing the same direction, or are we talking random directions here?

Harte

• Like 1

Really? Nothing would happen? That's disappointing then :/

Nop. There would be a several hundred thousand sprained ankles or more, a few thousand broken wrists, legs, and arms, probably a few broken necks, a few deaths because somebody was carrying a knife or fire arm. Some moron would be carrying a baby and drop it. I can imagine a multitude of car accidents a few plane crashes, and probably a few drownings where Somone slips and falls down a levy into swift water. Since Somone somewhere is hiding from a preditor or murderer, it might give them away, and I'm sure it will cause hell at some packed soccer game or group pictures. :D

If everyone jumped at once, i'm sure we would have thousands of people going to the hospital with sprang ankles.. We would have Half of everyone claiming to have felt some change, the other half claiming to not have felt any change...

In other words.. Life will continue as usual.

Crap you got to it before me. :)

This. We're all scattered over the globe so all that human weight would be pulled towards the center of the Earth, spread over the surface of the Earth.

Ergo, nothing would happen.

That's why we all get on each other's shoulders and do it.

Or even better, what would happen if everyone shut the hell up at the same time.

• Like 3

If everyone closed their eyes at the same time would the universe cease to exist?