Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was Britain the large island of Atlantis ?

UM-Bot

Mel Nicholls: In this article the case will be made for Britain being the large island in Plato's story of Atlantis. Some time ago I became interested in seeing how well Plato's story of Atlantis could be made to fit with the megalithic culture of Western Europe. On the face of it Plato's assertion that Atlantis had been a large island in the Atlantic that was in front of the Straits of Gibraltar seemed so patently wrong that I was inclined at first to give up on the enterprise. But I had always been intrigued by the possibility that Britain in the megalithic period may have had something to do with the story.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

Oh geez... not another Atlantis theory...

It never existed... It was a "plot device" by Plato for his writings about government... Outside of Plato's writings there is ZERO literary or scientific evidence of Atlantis having ever existed...

Were there areas that accidentaly fit some parts of the descriptions of Atlantis or its ultimate fate?... Sure. Thera comes immediately to mind... But Atlantis never existed...

• Like 6

Now if you are familiar with Plato's story you will remember it relates how Poseidon the god of the sea fell in love with a mortal woman on a large island in the Atlantic Ocean. etc etc etc etc etc etc

=================================

He gets all that from a GREEK MYTH? smiley-org-rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Here we going again about Atlantis. No proof of Britain being Atlantis just someones crasy idea

• Like 1

Now if you are familiar with Plato's story you will remember it relates how Poseidon the god of the sea fell in love with a mortal woman on a large island in the Atlantic Ocean. etc etc etc etc etc etc

=================================

He gets all that from a GREEK MYTH? smiley-org-rolleyes.gif

It's not a Greek myth by any stretch of the imagination. But it is in Plato's story.

Also, from the article:

The theory raises many questions: Why does Plato's story contain such large errors?

DUH!

Because it's fictional?

The above vapid question from the article indicates that, if the author read Plato at all, he did so by merely scanning the stories for facts, and not for content or meaning.

Anyone that reads Plato with their eyes open can see he's creating an analogy between his fictional ancient Atlantis succumbing to greed, etc. and what he feels was happening in Athens in his day.

Simply stating what he thought of what was happening in Athens had been demostrated to Plato to be a recipe for hemlock tea.

Harte

• Like 3

Atlantis doesn't exist. And even if it did, I still refuse the fact that my ass is sitting on the remnants of Atlantis.

It's not a Greek myth by any stretch of the imagination. But it is in Plato's story.

Harte1

Poseidon is a Greek myth and that is mentioned in the article.

Poseidon is a Greek myth and that is mentioned in the article.

The story of Atlantis, including Poseidon's part in it, is not part of any myth, Greek or otherwise.

Harte

The story of Atlantis, including Poseidon's part in it, is not part of any myth, Greek or otherwise.

Harte

I think we have our wires crossed here.

Poseidon is a Greek myth, I believe Atlantis was real, BUT this thread is about Britain being the island of Atlantis, that I do not agree with.

Poseidon or Posidon (Greek: Ποσειδῶν, gen: Ποσειδῶνος) is one of the twelve Olympian deities of the pantheon in Greek mythology.

I think we have our wires crossed here.

Poseidon is a Greek myth, I believe Atlantis was real, BUT this thread is about Britain being the island of Atlantis, that I do not agree with.

Poseidon or Posidon (Greek: Ποσειδῶν, gen: Ποσειδῶνος) is one of the twelve Olympian deities of the pantheon in Greek mythology.

Proclus stated:

To which you replied:

He gets all that from a GREEK MYTH?

My response was to indicate to you that "all that" is not from any Greek myth. It is, however, from Plato's allegorical tale.

Harte