Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

91-Year-Old Man Raises $$ to Prevent Eviction

Keel M.

This woman is a loathsome human being.

A 91-year-old man wants to stop his daughter from evicting him from the home he built 56 years ago in Zaleski, Ohio, a small community south of Columbus.

In 2004, John Potter and his wife, who has since died, gave the general power of attorney to his daughter for future matters if they declined in health, including to take care of her autistic adult brother, now 63.

But unbeknownst to Potter, his daughter Janice Cottrill eventually used that power to convey the deed to the one-story home to herself. In 2010, Potter said he learned of the deed transfer and switched power of attorney to his granddaughter, Jaclyn Fraley, now 35.

Potter, a World War II veteran and retired train dispatcher for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, sued to get the home back, arguing that his daughter had transferred the deed to herself illegally because those with the power of attorney are not permitted to transfer assets to themselves from the estate they oversee.

Potter won in Vinton County Court, but an appeals court ruled last year that the statute of limitations of four years had passed on the accusation of fraud and thus the deed could not be handed back to Potter.

Full story

• Like 4

This woman is a loathsome human being.

Full story

There's one in every family...several in mine, actually...

Sounds like Dad needs to break off a switch, and paddle his daughters rear.

• Like 3

There's one in every family...several in mine, actually...

Sounds like Dad needs to break off a switch, and paddle his daughters rear.

When I was a little kid ,my grandmother started to decline. My dad,her oldest ,was already deceased .

He had seven brothers and sisters.

They all shuffled her around like an old mangy dog ,except my uncle Eddie .Her youngest ,and my dads favorite .

My mom stayed close to uncle Eddie ,as my dads sisters were not nice to my mom ,because she was Italian .

Yeh ,until one of them married an Italian that is....

In any case,I heard all the stories about the fighting over the money from liquidating my grandmothers property .

My mom wasn't involved at all ,and I would ask,why ?

And she would tell me,this is how some families are.

I just couldnt wrap my head around it ,but obviously ,its the nature of the beast .

Hard to believe a kid would do it while the parent is still alive though .

• Like 2

Yeah! No one can screw you over like family! Almost every family has them though, still it makes ya sick.

Poor Man, ya know if his daughter was smart she'd realize that her children are watching her behavior and payback is a real pain in the backside! :devil:

Mabon.

• Like 3

Yeah! No one can screw you over like family! Almost every family has them though, still it makes ya sick.

Poor Man, ya know if his daughter was smart she'd realize that her children are watching her behavior and payback is a real pain in the backside! :devil:

Mabon.

Yeah, karma can be a real b****!

• Like 2

I hope karma gets her. Maybe when she becomes disabled she will have taught her kids well how to treat her.

I don't know why people have to be that way but I bet most of us have at least one degenerate in our family.

• Like 2

the thing is though she used, i believe, power of attorney to get control of the house. He built the house and his grand daughter tried to appeal the power of attorney but the courts upheld it.