Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elections by drawing straws?

redhen

Lately there's been a lot unethical activities in the U.S.A. and Canada. I was re-reading Rousseau's Social Contract last night and I was intrigued about one form of government election he mentioned; the Doge of Venice. The Doge was the senior-most elected official of Venice and Genoa, and they elected this person by drawing lots !

Imagine, not having to waste billions of dollars on campaigns. Imagine, not being beholden to wealthy supporters and special interests.

It doesn't take a genius to hold a cabinet post, any average person could do it.

What say you?

• Like 2

can't be any worse than the present system really!

you've just gotta hope that you pull out a medici straw & not a borgia one!

:-)

• Like 5

We should have a campaign spending cap which gives everyone a reasonable chance.

• Like 4

Lately there's been a lot unethical activities in the U.S.A. and Canada. I was re-reading Rousseau's Social Contract last night and I was intrigued about one form of government election he mentioned; the Doge of Venice. The Doge was the senior-most elected official of Venice and Genoa, and they elected this person by drawing lots !

Imagine, not having to waste billions of dollars on campaigns. Imagine, not being beholden to wealthy supporters and special interests.

It doesn't take a genius to hold a cabinet post, any average person could do it.

What say you?

I've been reading this book, and I have to say it's not a bad idea. Rousseau is a really good writer and philosopher. Emile is really great too.

Edited by Kowalski

I think they would rather draw their weapons on each other today.

• Like 2

Something does need to be done about the money spent on campaigns. Don't need our politicians indebted to big contributors.

• Like 3

I agree. A billion dollar campaign suggests to me that having the job supersedes doing the job.

• Like 4

There's a sci fi story where the leader is selected by a lottery, and loser had to fill the position. The only people disqualified were those who actually wanted the job and politicians.

• Like 3

Several mayoral and council races have been settled by coin tosses. I believe the mayor of Seattle was decided by a coin toss in the 70s.

My uncle was once the mayor AND chief of police of a very small town in eastern Washington in the 70s... He got the job because his car broke down on the highway that ran through this "town". He was their only police officer and mayor for about 9 months... long enough to earn enough paychecks to get his car fixed and get out of dodge. LOL. Funny part? He was a convicted felon! LOL. I don't think he did much of anything but hang out in the all purpose gas station/general store/post office all day. In fact, he lived in a room behind the store. I think it was the only building in the whole town. haha.

• Like 2

Funny part? He was a convicted felon! LOL. I don't think he did much of anything but hang out in the all purpose gas station/general store/post office all day. In fact, he lived in a room behind the store.

See, there ya go, it's not that difficult, lol. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

I agree. A billion dollar campaign suggests to me that having the job supersedes doing the job.

a sentiment echoed brilliantly by richard pryor in 'brewsters millions' when he said, 'a guy spends ten million dollars to get a fifty grand a year job? you KNOW he's a crook!'

• Like 4

Something does need to be done about the money spent on campaigns. Don't need our politicians indebted to big contributors.

therein lies the problem hil, lobbyists using money to buy politicians and using them to influence policy. we had the same sort of thing over here, the 'cash for honours' scandal, where the rich (usually businessmen, or other 'captains of industry') were giving politicians massive campaign 'donations' to literally buy their way into the house of lords, the highest court in the land, with the power to change, veto, or impliment new laws that would have governed all of us.

seems the rich aren't satisfied simply being rich, they want to be powerful too, in our case, quite literally, to 'lord it over the rest of us'.

• Like 3

a sentiment echoed brilliantly by richard pryor in 'brewsters millions' when he said, 'a guy spends ten million dollars to get a fifty grand a year job? you KNOW he's a crook!'

I love that movie.... :tu:

• Like 1

If anyone is interested in reading The Social Contract: http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/r/rousseau/jean_jacques/r864s/

"Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains...." --- Rousseau

On another note, Politics has always been a dirty business. Look at the Act of Union in 1707. Scottish nobles basically took a bribe (although it wasn't called that at the time, actually) to sell their country to the English.... We're bought and sold for English Gold, Such a Parcel of Rogues in a Nation. ----- Robert Burns

• Like 1