Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

are ghosts really non believers

hauntedinsc

I believe in a God but I don't believe in ghosts. I've seen neither.

Never seen Neptune either but I believe it's there.

Guess it's just faith. :unsure2:

If I believe in astrology, have given people readings that involve Neptune a good deal and have even been thanked to it in more than one occasion by people who asked a reading, would that make my belief in Neptune stronger too? If what I believe in has not been firmly established by science, as in not been fully explained by science, then does that mean it's belief?

Are there different degrees of belief, and knowledge, as in different degrees of how sure you can be about things? So I see, and if you apply this to ghosts believing or not believing in gods, you could probably say those ghosts are not so well-connected with god if there's one. Because if they had more connection to/with god, then wouldn't it mean they'd grasp the other places you can go to better and go there instead of lingering here?

Edited by Mikko-kun

If I believe in astrology, have given people readings that involve Neptune a good deal and have even been thanked to it in more than one occasion by people who asked a reading, would that make my belief in Neptune stronger too? If what I believe in has not been firmly established by science, as in not been fully explained by science, then does that mean it's belief?

Are there different degrees of belief, and knowledge, as in different degrees of how sure you can be about things? So I see, and if you apply this to ghosts believing or not believing in gods, you could probably say those ghosts are not so well-connected with god if there's one. Because if they had more connection to/with god, then wouldn't it mean they'd grasp the other places you can go to better and go there instead of lingering here?

First of all, it depends on if you believe in astrology.

It's not just about belief either, it is also about facts. Those cannot be ignored. Even if it is established by science some people choose to disbelieve in it to suit their own fantasy world.

You can clap your hands for Tinkerbell all you want, but it isn't going to make her real.

Yeah but tinkerbell doesn't affect your life if you ignore it, does it?

Science is art of observing the world. Sophisticated, meticulous, arduous, laborous, thorough, done by many, done very systematically, done in every way possible to make it better, but it's still done by us and thus by the ways we perceive the world. I dont think I believe in anything mythical fairytale when I believe in astrology, because I see science that way... it's just as scientific to me as physics. And it's observing two things and the correlations between them.

So I see nothing wrong with the idea behind it. And I've not noticed anything wrong with the observations, no contradictions you couldn't overcome... and there's consistent rules about what's what. Something I and other people base on observations. That's why it's different to me from belief, because I believe in reincarnation for example, but that I can't manage to verify with any valid observation, and I dont see anyone else. I dont regard it a fact, I dont regard it as something, but I still believe there's more to it than to Tinkerbell. Is that separating facts from beliefs, and even giving them different levels?

Oh, I know you dont probably give credit to astrology, but I'm wondering whether you regard me a believer and yourself a fact-knower in that subject, or the other way around, or something in between for either or one of us. Can you consider yourself only a believer if you've not probed into the subject more than someone who you think is only a believer?

Edited by Mikko-kun

I don't believe in ghosts, but I do believe in spirits that can mimic humans or animals as needed in order to play mind games with us. Spirits are more often then not tricksters and they love to play games with us humans. Sometimes the games they play are harmless, other times not so much but whatever they do it's always a trick.

Yeah but tinkerbell doesn't affect your life if you ignore it, does it?

Science is art of observing the world. Sophisticated, meticulous, arduous, laborous, thorough, done by many, done very systematically, done in every way possible to make it better, but it's still done by us and thus by the ways we perceive the world. I dont think I believe in anything mythical fairytale when I believe in astrology, because I see science that way... it's just as scientific to me as physics. And it's observing two things and the correlations between them.

So I see nothing wrong with the idea behind it. And I've not noticed anything wrong with the observations, no contradictions you couldn't overcome... and there's consistent rules about what's what. Something I and other people base on observations. That's why it's different to me from belief, because I believe in reincarnation for example, but that I can't manage to verify with any valid observation, and I dont see anyone else. I dont regard it a fact, I dont regard it as something, but I still believe there's more to it than to Tinkerbell. Is that separating facts from beliefs, and even giving them different levels?

Oh, I know you dont probably give credit to astrology, but I'm wondering whether you regard me a believer and yourself a fact-knower in that subject, or the other way around, or something in between for either or one of us. Can you consider yourself only a believer if you've not probed into the subject more than someone who you think is only a believer?

If you think Tinkerbell is haunting you, she might.

I believe in reincarnatin as well. I study Buddhism as a philosophy and I find I like to have faith in a lot of it AND parts of Christianity.

As for astrology, I can ready every horoscope in the newspaper and apply it to my life in some aspect. BUT I do believe that the planets have an effect on the tides and on the behavior of people.

I don't regard you as anything but a poster on a forum TBH. I have more skeptical and logical views and I believe in applying logic and looking for rational explanations before jumping to the conclusion of ghosts when that answer is more far fetched and less likely IMO.