Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Poop Found in a Majority of Public Pools

Kowalski

And just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.....

The CDC this week revealed that a new study on fecal matter in public pools uncovered a disturbing statistic. Over half of pools tested in the study were found to have E. coli, a marker for fecal contamination.

The study tested pool filters from public pools, looking for genetic material. It found that 58% of the filters tested positive for a strain of E. coli that is normally found in human intestines and in feces. The CDC stated that the study indicates people are either pooping in pools or failing to clean themselves well before entering pools.

“Swimming is an excellent way to get the physical activity needed to stay healthy,” said Michele Hlavsa, chief of the Healthy Swimming Program at the CDC. “However, pool users should be aware of how to prevent infections while swimming. Remember, chlorine and other disinfectants don’t kill germs instantly. That’s why it’s important for swimmers to protect themselves by not swallowing the water they swim in and to protect others by keeping feces and germs out of the pool by taking a pre-swim shower and not swimming when ill with diarrhea.”

Taken from http://www.webpronews.com/cdc-poop-found-in-a-majority-of-public-pools-2013-05

• Like 3

I don't even remember the last time I was in a public pool ... ~shudders~

• Like 2

Think about it though.... I'm going to try and say this without it getting too disgusting. lol The water will probably go inside a little won't it? So even if everyone had showered before going in the pool I'm sure it would still contain traces of it. Maybe I'm wrong, wasn't really taught much on this subject in biology. lol

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 3

I don't even remember the last time I was in a public pool ... ~shudders~

Not going in a public pool after reading that!!!

Think about it though.... I'm going to try and say this without it getting too disgusting. lol The water will probably go inside a little won't it? So I even if eveyrone had showered before going in the pool I'm sure it would still contain traces of it. Maybe I'm wrong, wasn't really taught much on this subject in biology. lol

I don't know...not sure about that.

This is just gross though.....

• Like 4

You will find E.coli bacteria in lot of places. ATMs, for example, are constantly plastered with all kinds of bacteria.

• Like 5

I don't know...not sure about that.

This is just gross though.....

lol I've always been a bit grossed out by public pools. I mean you know damn fine kids pee int here and you know a lot of adults do as well. Yuk.

You will find E.coli bacteria in lot of places. ATMs, for example, are constantly plastered with all kinds of bacteria.

Shhhhhhhhh. I'm already on the verge of carrying around hand wipes. LOL

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 3

Jacuzzi's... now that is a breeding ground for diseases..

I don't use the pools at our gym apart from the plunge pool.

• Like 3

(...)

Shhhhhhhhh. I'm already on the verge of carrying around hand wipes. LOL

Which is very well reasonable. But washing your hands regularly (a few times a day) will do the job as well.

• Like 3

There is no way I'm going near a public pool. Kids pee in it too. Wonder if the poo comes from babies.

• Like 2

Which is very well reasonable. But washing your hands regularly (a few times a day) will do the job as well.

Yeah I wash my hands a lot to be honest, probably a little excessive. When i was a kid I had this thing where I could not stand having sticky fingers/hands. I would literally cry at my mum to clean my hands after eating candy floss. lol

It still bothers me today, when I see people eat or drink sticky junk food then touch a game controller or mouse and keyboard of mine it makes me cringe so hard. lol

It does annoy the hell out of me the amount of people I see in public toilets who do not wash their hands. It literally takes less than a minute. I really don't get why people can be that lazy.

There is no way I'm going near a public pool. Kids pee in it too. Wonder if the poo comes from babies.

Good point about babies.

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 1

babies should never be at public pools ....... bad bad place for babies .... babies just don't have the natural immune system to deal with it ...

anyway kids have just as much if not more fun at home at the tub :

547290_578296098861208_76148949_n.jpg

• Like 3

babies should never be at public pools ....... bad bad place for babies .... babies just don't have the natural immune system to deal with it ...

anyway kids have just as much if not more fun at home at the tub :

547290_578296098861208_76148949_n.jpg

LMAO!!

I've never taken my son to a public pool. He loves the bathtub more. I can't tell you how many times he's pooped in the bathtub water! And sometimes he takes his pull ups off and squats on the floor and poops!

Potty training is so much fun.....

:)

• Like 3

LMAO!!

I've never taken my son to a public pool. He loves the bathtub more. I can't tell you how many times he's pooped in the bathtub water! And sometimes he takes his pull ups off and squats on the floor and poops!

Potty training is so much fun.....

:)

Yup ... I've seen kids of my friends grow and grow ... and now they're all grown ... still have two just in their toddler stage now ...

two girls and a boy ... I'm the mad UNcle Yap ... :lol:

• Like 2

I'm not going in a public pool in a while... Maybe years...

• Like 1

When my daughter was a baby.. our local baths refused me entry with her..

Mother & Toddlers classes, I was trying to teach her to swim, not letch on the Mums.

• Like 2

Argggg,how discusting! What sort of people are pooping on the ATM machines? Gross!

• Like 4

Argggg,how discusting! What sort of people are pooping on the ATM machines? Gross!

The same people that poop in soap dispensers..

• Like 3

Haha! What an image. I am sure it does happen, though. Unfortunately, a lot less is needed to smear your germs all over the number pad and the touch screen.

No! Just no! :no:

Edited by FLOMBIE
  • Like 4

If you saw the episode of mythbusters regarding tooth brushes in the bathroom then you already know, E. Coli is EVERYWHERE. Didn't matter where the brushes were relative to the toilet. There are a host of unholy germs all over the place (staph for instance could be in your noise). Have been forever. Take precautions but do not let it keep you from enjoying life. They were there before someone pointed them out and if you are reading this you didn't die.

• Like 2

Is this the same people who are running out of toilet paper?

• Like 2

Whenever you're in a public pool, you can't be totally assured no human waste particles are floating around in the water, because public pools are open to everyone. The first (and last) thing to do is take a shower before entering (and leaving) a public pool, to avoid spreading germs in (and to erase others' germs) the pool. Chlorine in pools does kill bacteria and viruses, but the chemical doesn't disintegrate human waste particles.

• Like 1

I haven't swam in a public pool since I was a kid, but they're still cleaner than the ocean most likely.

• Like 1

IT'S NO BIG DEAL! :w00t:

caddy-shack-2.jpg

• Like 2

Ew. I haven't gone to a public pool since the 90s! I rather swim in friends/families pools instead!

better the poo you know than the poo you don't ... I always say // hehehehe

136848527099.jpg

• Like 1