Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How would you simplify the tax code?

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Just because it's a simple "flat" or "fair" tax that you all can easily understand, it also means that you'd be giving a HUGE tax break to those at the top thereby actually reducing revenues. Not a good plan.

I am only talking Federal.

If federal took out 16%, that would be 2x of what Federal normally takes out.

Hmmm! I will look into that. Thank you.

Nothing wrong with that either. My accountant wouldn't be so useful anymore but that's ok.

I am self employed and I put away 30% and so far it has always been just right.

That is just about what I am thinking.

Just because it's a simple "flat" or "fair" tax that you all can easily understand, it also means that you'd be giving a HUGE tax break to those at the top thereby actually reducing revenues. Not a good plan.

Oh yeah, I forgot, Ninja isn't interested in raising revenue for the government. He's more interested in punishing the wealthy.

• Like 1

No...as much as I hate to say this...a "flat tax" is not fair....those on the lower end suffer the most. A scaled percentage (similar to what we have) is the most fair...but the deductions really-really need to be reeled in. No loopholes...when a company like GE can make billions and pay zero taxes...obviously the system is not structured properly.

That is my practical answer...I don't like income tax...I don't think it is fair at all. I realize we have things that we need as a collective...but I find income tax offensive.

I am more of a sales tax kinda guy. The more you "spend" the more you pay. certain things need to be off the table or have income based limitations....food, water, shelter, and maybe some warped thing for clothing...and some limits on transportation.

The more money you have, the more likely you are to spend extravagantly...and you pay your taxes then. The poor person that only buys what he needs does not pay much at all...if anything.

Just my opinion...

• Like 1

So what? I win, they win. Sounds fair to me.

No...as much as I hate to say this...a "flat tax" is not fair....those on the lower end suffer the most. A scaled percentage (similar to what we have) is the most fair...but the deductions really-really need to be reeled in. No loopholes...when a company like GE can make billions and pay zero taxes...obviously the system is not structured properly.

That is my practical answer...I don't like income tax...I don't think it is fair at all. I realize we have things that we need as a collective...but I find income tax offensive.

I am more of a sales tax kinda guy. The more you "spend" the more you pay. certain things need to be off the table or have income based limitations....food, water, shelter, and maybe some warped thing for clothing...and some limits on transportation.

The more money you have, the more likely you are to spend extravagantly...and you pay your taxes then. The poor person that only buys what he needs does not pay much at all...if anything.

Just my opinion...

Exactly, you get to choose how much you spend on taxes and the richer people will obviously spend more money and pay the most taxe

• Like 1

Well, going off the numbers that Tiggs and Sakari gave, in order to do flat tax we would need to do 21%.

quite correct, that is why a step tax is the only real solution.

So what? I win, they win. Sounds fair to me.

Exactly, you get to choose how much you spend on taxes and the richer people will obviously spend more money and pay the most taxe

Rich people come to the point where they start hording money, making it necessary to print more money to avoid an economic collapse or convert it into virtual money on speculative objects. There are only so many Ferraris you will want to buy.

• Like 1

Well, going off the numbers that Tiggs and Sakari gave, in order to do flat tax we would need to do 21%.

Or, we would stop the Government from spending our money in stupid places, and save money, thus lowering tax's.....

Or, we would stop the Government from spending our money in stupid places, and save money, thus lowering tax's.....

So, you are in favor of dissolving the armed forces?

Oh yeah, I forgot, Ninja isn't interested in raising revenue for the government. He's more interested in punishing the wealthy.

Not at all. A flat or "fair" tax would DECREASE revenues.

While a fair or flat tax would decrease revenue from income tax I can't help but feel the new income generated by the sales tax would more then make up for it.

Personally I like the idea of a flat tax and think it may be the best way to go. I also believe that no one should be exempt from the tax. I know that it sounds bad but if we do have a line where everyone below it is exempt then first we would create an area where it would be more profitable to be below the line then above it. I know this range of income would be rather small but it would still exist and I believe it would create problems, mostly in that people below the poverty line would not bother going over it unless they could completely avoid that range where it would be less profitable from them.

Secondly I think that if we have a group of people paying absolutely no tax then we will run into entitlement problems. Because human nature has shown that when a person gets something for free they tend to have little to no respect for it at all while if a person pays even just a small amount they tend to have far more respect for what they have and I believe this applies to taxes and entitlements. So I think everyone should have to pay an equal fair tax.

I know I did not expand on my ideas and their justification but I am in a hurry to post this.

Edited by DarkHunter
  • Like 1

I'd like to see the income tax all but gone. Just sales tax. That way everyone pays taxes. Illegals, drug dealers..........everyone. The rich would pay more taxes because they buy more expensive items.

Plus, if the government income was based off of the economy, they would do more to keep it moving.

• Like 1

While a fair or flat tax would decrease revenue from income tax I can't help but feel the new income generated by the sales tax would more then make up for it.

Personally I like the idea of a flat tax and think it may be the best way to go. I also believe that no one should be exempt from the tax. I know that it sounds bad but if we do have a line where everyone below it is exempt then first we would create an area where it would be more profitable to be below the line then above it. I know this range of income would be rather small but it would still exist and I believe it would create problems, mostly in that people below the poverty line would not bother going over it unless they could completely avoid that range where it would be less profitable from them.

Secondly I think that if we have a group of people paying absolutely no tax then we will run into entitlement problems. Because human nature has shown that when a person gets something for free they tend to have little to no respect for it at all while if a person pays even just a small amount they tend to have far more respect for what they have and I believe this applies to taxes and entitlements. So I think everyone should have to pay an equal fair tax.

I know I did not expand on my ideas and their justification but I am in a hurry to post this.

And would hit those who are living off food stamps anyway despite working 12 hours a day.