Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

If God loves me

Mnemonix

If God loves me so much, why doesn't he help me, instead of just threatening to burn me in Hell? God has the power to do anything, so why not?

Doesn't seem like a good god, no matter how you put it.

Starting to doubt god, because he has never helped me in my life and I have never felt anything in prayer, not a single trace of god.

If god is good, why send people to hell? Can't he just change that with his infinite power? Surely it should be extremely effortless for him, and it would sound like the "good" option.

I've been wanting to post something like this, but have been very reluctant, and couldn't find the words.

Probably going to regret this.

I think that god, doesn't love me, doesn't exist, or exists but is not the god of the religions of this world.

Edited by Mnemonix
  • Like 4

Did God ever threaten to send people to hell? Or did people, seeing an opportunity to get power and control over others, devise the idea of "eternal punishment" (as distinct from more subtle interpretations of 'Hell' as meaning the deliberate turning away from God) as a means of making sure that everybody remained obedient.

I think that god, doesn't love me, doesn't exist, or exists but is not the god of the religions of this world.

I too have come to think that the latter may well be the case, that he has been seriosuly mispresented by those who insisted that vast books should be written full of rules & regulations and Thou Shalt Nots.

• Like 6

Did God ever threaten to send people to hell? Or did people, seeing an opportunity to get power and control over others, devise the idea of "eternal punishment" (as distinct from more subtle interpretations of 'Hell' as meaning the deliberate turning away from God) as a means of making sure that everybody remained obedient.

Don't know, I think the latter might be the case.

I want to write a lot of things, but it seems like every time I want to, I get a big headache and just decide not to.

And why doesn't he return my phone calls?

• Like 1

And why doesn't he return my phone calls?

you might have lucked out on that one muchacho :)

Thou shalt not put Our Lord God to the test. Pray and you shall receive.

Never pray for money.

Always give thanks.

Always acknowledge the beautiful world you are privileged to live in.

And remember this is not a puppet show..... free will has been given to mankind.

Also remember, we don't know the whole story, so be humble and praise the Lord.

• Like 2

Thou shalt not put Our Lord God to the test. Pray and you shall receive.

Never pray for money.

Always give thanks.

Always acknowledge the beautiful world you are privileged to live in.

And remember this is not a puppet show..... free will has been given to mankind.

Also remember, we don't know the whole story, so be humble and praise the Lord.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it, but it doesn't really answer my question.

Sometimes just meditating can help to sort out all these kinds of thoughts.

• Like 1

Sometimes just meditating can help to sort out all these kinds of thoughts.

Don't know about that, I have things to do. But I'll consider your advice.

Q) If God loves me why doesn't he help me?

A) Because it just doesn't work like that.

The reality is far more like something my Grandmother used to say, "God helps those who help themselves". I could also add to this that help comes far more frequently to those who help and care about others.

• Like 3

The reality is far more like something my Grandmother used to say, "God helps those who help themselves".

Mine too. (To which Grandfather would mutter, "But God help anyone found helping himself on my farm!"

• Like 2

Watched a docu about the Tsunami and some people were saying it was gods will because they must had upset him. Sorry, but the quicker people start believing in themselves and recognize that you are the only person who can own the power within yourself, then the better.

There are many bad people who help themselves, to other peoples things, and some of the god believing people rely on their god to take care of these people.

Life does not work that way, you have to take control of your own life and the more you rely on god, the more you lose control.

If people want to believe in a god, then thats fine, but to rely on him? you are no longer a person who has control of his own life. I will even go as far to say it is a sign of extreme insecurity and in some cases turns a man into a coward, where they would not have otherwise been if they had more faith in themselves and their own abilities.

• Like 2

Not really relying on god, don't even know if one exists anymore. I just allow myself to believe there is some kind of god out there, if not then it doesn't matter.

I'm talking about the god people say exists.

Not really relying on god, don't even know if one exists anymore. I just allow myself to believe there is some kind of god out there, if not then it doesn't matter.

Are these people telling you that god would help you and answer your prayers? If they have lied to you then surely this is proof that god does not exist, surely he would not allow those who believe in him to lie?

Believe in yourself , take control of your life and for those who tell you god exists, then maybe in their worlds, but tell them not in yours, you do not need a god.

God does not give us what we want, he is not a Genie we can make wishes to. He will, however, give us what we need. The problem is what we think we need and what he thinks we need are not the same thing. I have learned over the years that what I did not receive was amongst the greatest of blessings, even more than those things I did receive. We can be spared much suffering but be unaware that the path we are led on is designed to do that, we think it all looks so disastrous and then suddenly a whole new world of possibilities open up before us that would not have been there had we been given what we thought we wanted when we started out.

Remember, our soul is eternal and our time here is but a fraction of that - nothing in the material world will last or give us lasting happiness. Here, with the sweet will always come the sour, the good times will be so good only because we know how bad things can be. It is a harsh reality and all things in it pass - we need to cultivate a state of being where we can maintain our serenity, our certainty that all will be as it should be regardless of whether times are very good or very bad.

Someone has already suggested meditation and I am going to second that suggestion. A good meditation instructor will teach you how to observe all your thoughts and your desires and to understand how they are leading you around by the nose because perversely they are addicted to the suffering they give, they actually want the experience of that emotion, have a really good think about that - are you hugging your suffering and nurturing it as though it were precious to you somehow? Great questions encourage great teachings, go out and find some good teachers and ask them some big questions face to face.

• Like 2

Q) If God loves me why doesn't he help me?

A) Because it just doesn't work like that.

The reality is far more like something my Grandmother used to say, "God helps those who help themselves". I could also add to this that help comes far more frequently to those who help and care about others.

Dunno,god seems to have helped some people,quite a lot ....and then others,not at all .

• Like 1

God does not give us what we want, he is not a Genie we can make wishes to. He will, however, give us what we need. The problem is what we think we need and what he thinks we need are not the same thing.

Tell it to the children who die every day because they don't have clean drinking water.

• Like 2

Some gnostic-type teachings state there are only two worlds: Heaven and this world, and that this world is "Hell", relatively speaking.

Very true that. I do not believe in a god, but if others wish to then who am I to tell them otherwise? I do not have communist tendencies and each man has a right to believe in his own world his own gods or not.

To me, trying to convince someone their god does not exist amounts to the same as someone trying to tell a non believer that their god does.

I need proof, but I also respect that those who believe have the proof they need in their hearts and minds, but I have faith in my own heart and mind without the need of a god to back me up.

• Like 1

Hi guys ,

I'm going to chime in on this thread because there was a statement I'm not for! That statement is:

"God helps those who help themselves"

Let me say as somebody who has been fortunate enough to have encountered God and the spirit world first hand this statement is a curse!

And since I have been this fortunate let me say that I am completely unworthy to have had this experience. As a Spirit being I'm completely ashamed of myself, and I say that from the depths of my heart.

However, back to that statement.

What's wrong with it? A) It's loosely saying those who can't help themselves won't be helped by God and those who can help themselves will be helped. I will go further to saying its often touted by the materialist people of proof that they were helped by God to acquire such material wealth and this means God loves them more, because there so blessed with such material assets.

To those of you who are really hurting or hiding from going before God because of your sin let me remind you that " come as you are" is a offering to be received despite your sin or fear. Just go to him, don't be afraid because God is lowly in heart, will rejoice just that you have made a small offering of faith. He hears every word you say and will forgive, you may not know why you have feared and run away but there's much more behind the scenes God does see, you only see 50% at best of reality, like a iceberg you only see a fraction, but you don't see the currents that can control that iceberg either and those currents can take take the iceberg very far!

There's nothing wrong with asking God to guide you, if you make a mistake it's because your not strong enough, so then pray also for courage and strength, you will need both. Pray for what you lack internally , if your hearts damaged and you lost your conscience pray for that, if your not as smart as you need to be pray for wisdom..if your under attack pray for protection, if you sinned pray for forgiveness.

Those who are healthy don't need a doctor! Hardly nice to hear that god helps those who CAN help themselves..but try help yourself by turning to God if you can't help yourself after you tried.

Pray for internal things in yourself and pray for your adversaries.this requires forgiveness, forgiveness will make you stronger than them, but its not easy. Love your enemy more than yourself but don't let them take advantage of you.

you may feel abandoned right now. (My guides tell me its relationship problems) We all get that! " my god my god why hast thou forsaken me!" Even the best don't always know what direction the current is moving at times..it's ok just do your best.

And lastly a warning! :

Don't curse God to his face! This is what the story of Job is really about, because he's a good man of heart he was allowed to have that tested, every good work is tested, even his wife told him to curse God to his face! (She was filled with the wrong spirit at that point )..you may be suffering to bring Glory to God.just do your best and hold onto your faith and your heart, forgive them, do this to bring Glory to our father.

And to those who challenge I say be careful, whoever instructs the lords children to do wrong will have there part take away, it will mean indemnity.

Edited by Irrelevant

I cursed God to his face many times, out of unspeakable anger, and desperation to be killed. Of course, I'm still alive today, so I just came to the conclusion that God isn't listening to me, doesn't care or doesn't exist. I think I read in the Book of Job that if you curse God, you die. Worth a shot.

I know saying that sounds very nasty of me, but I'm not "evil", unless of course you insist I am, then I don't mind. If God exists, and he's a truly kind, understanding, and loving with true infinite wisdom God, I don't mind worshiping him. But it doesn't seem that way. I feel that god hasn't been nice to me my whole life.

That's why I'd rather choose death, I can't go a day without thinking of suicide.

Edited by Mnemonix