Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

''we're all in this together''

shrooma

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/mps-in-line-for-20000-pay-rise-in-move-likely-to-spark-public-anger-8622556.html

The hypocrisy of British politics is set to rear its ugly two faces again as MP's gear up for 'substantial' pay increases.

with the recession still biting deep, local authorities having their spending and services driven into the ground, and unemployment at record levels, it seems that the rich still want to get richer, while the poor get.., well, you know the rest.

with most families struggling to remain afloat on a rising tide of inflation, energy costs, and food bills, and with the average pay increase being either nothing at all, or well below the rate of inflation, it seems that your friendly neighbourhood politician wants to up theirs by at least 30%.

it would seem that while we all are 'in this together'

some of us are 'in this' more than others.

'i'm alright jack'....?

not 'arf, what!

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 5

We need a demo, and this time make it big!

Why does this not surprise? now they can not spend our money though dodgy "expenses", they want to find another way of getting to our money, and this is it. They will get it and call it legal and will not have to account for it. Can people not see what they are doing?

• Like 3

Demo? That just makes them feel important. What people want to do is don't feed these people's sense of self importance by giving them tye opportunity to show that they have Power and Authority, to totally ignore them. This means not voting for them. If you vote for them, as the old anarchist saying goes, and it's quite true, it only encourages them. I'm not saying, before anyone says, that we shouldn't have any Government at all, but that Government shouldn't be run by Politicians, because they're the least qualified to run anything, since, as Politics is a career in itself, to become a Senior Minister, you just need to be good at Politics, and not have to have any knowledge or experience at what you're supposedly in charge of. And just voting for some other lot (UKIP, of course, being the current favorites), that just encourages them. No one really thinks that they'll be any different from any of the other Politicians, do they?

• Like 1

you know what the british public tend to be like freet, they're too complacent and apathetic.

they tend to think protests & demo's are for tree-hugging sandal wearers, and the last time the students in this country rose up, was to protest about tuition fees & student loans!

sometimes, just sometimes, I quite envy the french.....

as the old anarchist saying goes, and it's quite true, it only encourages them.

'it doesn't matter who you vote for, the government still gets in!'

-anarchist proverb-

;-)

• Like 3

i've always thought that in times of elections, the candidates should included in their policies pamphlet their full C.V. so we know who exactly were voting for, but it will never happen the majority of them are embarrassed by their lack of work and life experience.

• Like 4

yup. the government ****s are. takin all the money an livin the high life. they have the cheek to whinge how hard it is an avoid their taxes!! jumped up a**holes.

• Like 1

yup. the government ****s are. takin all the money an livin the high life. they have the cheek to whinge how hard it is an avoid their taxes!! jumped up a**holes.

that's exactly my point kitty!

how can the govt. say 'we're all in this together' and then award themselves enormous payrises like that??

they're planning on introducing some kind of benefit scheme where you have to work 30hrs a week to get your dole money.

I think you get £70pw, which means you're working for £2.30ph.

the minimum wage is supposedly something like £6.20, so how can they justify paying people a third of that?!

they're awarding themselves an EXTRA £20,000 a year, but expecting 4m people to work for two quid an hour, that's arrogance beyond belief!!

how is someone who's working 30hrs a week, for free, supposed to find the time to look for a job?

what do they do when all the canal bankings are cleared and all the graveyards de-weeded, sit in a cabin all week??

it's a very flawed idea that can't possibly work.

• Like 1

Demos wont work and the Unions want to get powerful

maybe the unions wouldn't be such a bad idea for a while richard, if we took things into our own hands, and brought the govt. to its knees through strike action, they'd start to get their s**t together?

look at the french, they down-tools quicker than a navvi on payday, and it works for them!

they have a shorter working week than we do, better pay than we get, more holidays, and once you've been working for 6mths, you're entitled to 3/4 of your wage in benefits if you get finished.

the french take no crap from their govt. so why should we?!

I think it should be mentioned that the French Economy is also going "down the pan" as a result of their ludicrous working rights.

On topic again: Politicians (MP´s) are there own Industrial Tribunal - if they want a pay rise there is no need for negotiation, because they simply vote on one for themselves, with no oversight whatsoever. There is no such thing as a "Performance Related" pay increase, if that were the case then these miserable, little, self - important, limelight hugging, fools would never get one.

The Heads of Industry (most) have got to justify their pay rises with positive economic results, not so your Govt. They can instigate and oversee economic destruction of a Nations Industrial heart for Political Gain (i.e. pandering to their own Party Supporters), give themselves a pat on the back and swell their personal monetary coffers...

• Like 1

maybe the unions wouldn't be such a bad idea for a while richard, if we took things into our own hands, and brought the govt. to its knees through strike action, they'd start to get their s**t together?

look at the french, they down-tools quicker than a navvi on payday, and it works for them!

they have a shorter working week than we do, better pay than we get, more holidays, and once you've been working for 6mths, you're entitled to 3/4 of your wage in benefits if you get finished.

the french take no crap from their govt. so why should we?!

yes, but all that has been sustained by the taxpayer for so long, they'd be hopelessly uncompetitive if it wasn't for that. The bubble will have to burst eventually.

• Like 1

To qualify as a Politician you need to :-

Have no concience

Excell in cunning

Tell convincing Lies

Backstab anyone who gets in your way

Have a beaming smile for old dears and babies

Convince Joe Public that you are the greatest

and vote yourself a huge payrise every year.

Politicians equal Bookies,There are no poor ones around.

• Like 3

yes, but all that has been sustained by the taxpayer for so long, they'd be hopelessly uncompetitive if it wasn't for that. The bubble will have to burst eventually.

it's already bursteded colonel, only, it's popped everywhere, not just france!

only difference being, you can bet the french aren't taking it lying down, and are out on the streets somewhere, setting fire to stuff and being very shouty.....

Edited by shrooma

MPs are in line for a pay rise of up to £20,000 in a move that could spark public fury.

The Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa) has been looking at an increase of between £10,000 and £20,000.

This could potentially boost MPs' pay to more than three times the £26,500 national average salary.

The lower £10,000 figure is considered a more likely increase but even this is likely to anger voters.

Taxpayers' salaries have risen by just 0.6% on average this year and many people are struggling to cope with the rising cost of living.

The hike for MPs would be partly offset by curbs to their gold-plated pensions and personal expenses.

arrow3.gifView: Read more

(already a thread on this xsas)

Sorry, I didn't notice. I will request it to be merged.

• Like 1

I will request it to be merged.

Done. :tu:

• Like 1

Sorry, I didn't notice. I will request it to be merged.

my fault xsas, the title didn't really give any indication as to what the thread was about, so it's easily missed I guess!

my fault xsas, the title didn't really give any indication as to what the thread was about, so it's easily missed I guess!

No problem... I just scanned the titles and should have been more thorough.

At least we both agree they deserve their hard earned pay rises.. :no::td::no:

• Like 2

At least we both agree they deserve their hard earned pay rises.. :no::td::no:

aye, in the same way that the bosses of the RBS deserved theirs!

*pretend you can see 'thumbs down' smiley here as I don't know how to do them*

aye, in the same way that the bosses of the RBS deserved theirs!

*pretend you can see 'thumbs down' smiley here as I don't know how to do them*

Here, i'll provide one for you. :td:
  • Like 1

Could someone explain to me why they had to cobble together this ridiculous "Cameron Coaltion" anyway? If the Tories couldn't get enough votes to get into office in their own right, why the hell were they able to make a deal with little nick clegg to get them enough seats, which no one at all, no one who voted for the Conservatories or the lib dems, wanted?

• Like 1

Here, i'll provide one for you. :td:

cheers colonel!

you're an officer AND a gentleman!

:-)

Could someone explain to me why they had to cobble together this ridiculous "Cameron Coaltion" anyway?

because the queen must've been taking a nap that day Col.

in 1975, in australia, the Gov. general dismissed gough whitlam's (democratically elected!) government and installed malcolm fraser (Opp. leader) as caretaker PM to resolve a constitutional crisis. when the Opp. had passed the appropriate laws, the Gov. general then dismissed fraser & reintroduced whitlam.

if the queen, in an act of supreme arrogance, can dismiss the duly elected government of a colony, why can't she get her s**t together and get her own house (of parliament) in order?

the exact same thing is happening here, now, as was happening down under in '75, slumping economy, political scandals etc. so why can't she grow a pair and step in like she did to SOMEONE ELSES COUNTRY??

still, cameron & clegg's little circus side-show will be hoofed out come the next election, so she'll probably just count her earnings(??) from the civil list and hope her 'loyal subjects' will all eat cake when we run out of bread.....