Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

IRS Asks For Content Of Prayers

regeneratia

Do you think the IRS should be asking you about the content of your prayers?

It appears that the IRS was honing in on a pro-life organization in Iowa.

Now I am NOT a pro-life organization fan in any state. I have not an iota of sympathy for them, and consider them to be domestic terrorists, with their propensity to murder, bombing, and maime and pillage.

But if indeed the IRS did ask the pro-life group about the content of their prayers, and this could well be a lie that the IRS did, do you think this is an appropriate question posed by the national "tax-man"?

http://washingtonexaminer.com/congressman-irs-asked-pro-life-group-about-the-content-of-their-prayers/article/2529924

Congressman: IRS asked pro-life group about 'the content of their prayers'

• Like 1

I suppose they were checking whether they'd been praying for God to grant them lots of money, and to suggest imaginative ways they could keep it from the taxman. God does not approve of this kind of behavior.

• Like 4

This whole "scandal" bugs me because really what is the IRS supposed to do when the number of not for profit tax exempt applications skyrocketed? Were they supposed to just rubber stamp every application or were they supposed to look at them under some serious scrutiny to see if they were in fact legitimate? A pro life group wants tax exempt status on what basis? If they are a church, they still have to prove they are a church, if they are a charity same thing. There are a ton of scammers out there that will do whatever they can get away with to get donations and tax exempt status and it's up to the IRS to weed out the crooks. So what if they target "conservatives", when those conservatives are saying they shouldn't have to pay taxes? It makes sense to me, if a "liberal" group wanted tax exempt status so they could promote not paying taxes I'd want them investigated and I'm sure the IRS would do just that. This is all just hype.

• Like 2

Do you think the IRS should be asking you about the content of your prayers?

absolutely. You have to understand what 501c4 has created due to Citizens United. There are tax cheat organizations (remember what the TEA party stands for) who hide behind religion.

This whole "scandal" bugs me because really what is the IRS supposed to do when the number of not for profit tax exempt applications skyrocketed? Were they supposed to just rubber stamp every application or were they supposed to look at them under some serious scrutiny to see if they were in fact legitimate? A pro life group wants tax exempt status on what basis? If they are a church, they still have to prove they are a church, if they are a charity same thing. There are a ton of scammers out there that will do whatever they can get away with to get donations and tax exempt status and it's up to the IRS to weed out the crooks. So what if they target "conservatives", when those conservatives are saying they shouldn't have to pay taxes? It makes sense to me, if a "liberal" group wanted tax exempt status so they could promote not paying taxes I'd want them investigated and I'm sure the IRS would do just that. This is all just hype.

I tend to agree with you.

• Like 1

absolutely. You have to understand what 501c4 has created due to Citizens United. There are tax cheat organizations (remember what the TEA party stands for) who hide behind religion.

i think if you publish prayers, as a mass prayer, then yes, they can ask for it. But I think if you are asking the individual what they pray about in private, that is just simply inappropriate and a gathering of very unreliable information.

• Like 1

This whole "scandal" bugs me because really what is the IRS supposed to do when the number of not for profit tax exempt applications skyrocketed? Were they supposed to just rubber stamp every application or were they supposed to look at them under some serious scrutiny to see if they were in fact legitimate?

How about looking at them without using a political filter in deciding which ones to look at?

A question like "What's in your prayers" is designed to stall approval, not uncover a nefarious ring of tax cheats.

Other questions asked by the IRS to other groups included a 20 page questionnaire to a mentoring group. One question required them to provide info on everyone they've ever mentored, who they were mentoring now, and who they would be mentoring in the future. In the future!

They were trying to educate high schoolers on the Constitution. They're supposed to give the names and other info of high school children, without parental consent, to the IRS? And, exactly how would you provide individual info on those you would be mentoring in the future?

Leave one blank answer and you're setting yourself up for purjury charges, according to the IRS.

If the IRS was sincerely interested in tax cheats, they'd go after Timothy Geithner.

Harte

• Like 4

I'm sorry, but isn't this against the First Amendment?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

Isn't that against Seperation of Church and State?

• Like 1

Isn't that against Seperation of Church and State?

depends. Are you lieing about prayer to get a tax break?

But they rubber stamped the liberal ones. That is the problem.

• Like 2

Doesn't matter read that passage again. When I was taking bookkeeping classes. One of my teachers stated that if you robbed a bank and reported it to the irs and payed your taxes on it. The irs could not tell law eforcement that you had robbed the bank. Today they would make the bank pay taxes on that money to. If the bank was coservative.

I won't argue with your definition of the pro-life militants but the IRS is worse than they are. If they want what was said in a public prayer, then they should attend the service or whatever or even purchase the tape. If they get the tape then I guess they can imprison one for instigating an Islamic riot. Doesn’t it give anyone pause to think that the thought police violates individual rights? Integrity of individual rights trumps public safety any day.

• Like 2

If I want to start a church titled "we are going to cheat on our taxes.". As long as I follow the rules, they have to give me tax exempt status.

• Like 1

Proof. Show your proof if you are going to make these allegations.

Yikes, scary stuff right here.

Edited by Merc14

They "cheat" on their taxes legally. Wait...what? You can legally "cheat"? I thought cheating involved breaking the rules. You're saying that cheating involves following the rules? I think you need to look up the defination of "cheat".

They "cheat" on their taxes legally. Wait...what? You can legally "cheat"? I thought cheating involved breaking the rules. You're saying that cheating involves following the rules? I think you need to look up the defination of "cheat".

Surely you must know it's very easy for big corporations and churches (which I believe can claim charitable status) to exploit all sorts of dodges and loopholes and remain within the law. That's nothing new.

Surely you must know it's very easy for big corporations and churches (which I believe can claim charitable status) to exploit all sorts of dodges and loopholes and remain within the law. That's nothing new.

It's nothing new and nothing illegal, nor is it cheating. Everyone I know takes every legal deduction they can. Are we all "cheating" on our taxes? Of course not, because we are obeying the rules.

"Dodges" and "loopholes" are just derogatory terms for something that is perfectly legal. Deductions is the correct term. Big corps and churches don't write the tax laws, although they influence the people that do. The writers would be our elected officals. Don't like the laws, then elect someone else instead of returning the incumbants. Rinse and repeat until you get the desired result. Don't blame tax payers for taking legal deductions, blame law makers for allowing the deductions.

• Like 1

But they rubber stamped the liberal ones. That is the problem.

No, they don't. The IG said this.

• Like 1

No. 501c are tax exempt. They are asking for tax exemption under false pretenses.

In 2010, the Determinations Unit noticed something peculiar about the I.R.C. § 501© applications it was receiving. Many of the applications requesting I.R.C. § 501©(4) status as a “social welfare” organization were clearly, on closer review, not social welfare groups. An example of this is Karl Rove’s Crossroads GPS, which sought social welfare organization status. Crossroads GPS’s parent organization, American Crossroads, is a I.R.C. § 527 organization, which are required to publicly disclose their donors.

This raised a red flag with the IRS. First, no group has to file an application with the IRS to call itself a social welfare organization. Social welfare organizations cannot receive tax-deductible charitable contributions and cannot primarily engage in political campaign interventions.

A social welfare organization can engage in unlimited legislative lobbying and can engage in general advocacy — as long as that advocacy does not favor specific legislation or the election of a candidate.

http://www.mintpressnews.com/inappropriate-criteria-inadequate-management-to-blame-for-irs-fiasco/
  • Like 1

It's nothing new and nothing illegal, nor is it cheating. Everyone I know takes every legal deduction they can.

we're not talking about everyone you know. We're talking about tax exempt organizations.

It's nothing new and nothing illegal, nor is it cheating. Everyone I know takes every legal deduction they can. Are we all "cheating" on our taxes? Of course not, because we are obeying the rules.

"Dodges" and "loopholes" are just derogatory terms for something that is perfectly legal. Deductions is the correct term. Big corps and churches don't write the tax laws, although they influence the people that do. The writers would be our elected officals. Don't like the laws, then elect someone else instead of returning the incumbants. Rinse and repeat until you get the desired result. Don't blame tax payers for taking legal deductions, blame law makers for allowing the deductions.

No need to get on your high horse about it. Of course anyone would do it if they had half a chance, but it's all still a scam, isn't it.

No need to get on your high horse about it. Of course anyone would do it if they had half a chance, but it's all still a scam, isn't it.

Sorry, just get tired of people saying they are "cheating" on their taxes for taking legal deductions. Taking advantage of the rules isn't cheating.

If you are talking about our tax system then yes, it is all a scam.

• Like 1

we're not talking about everyone you know. We're talking about tax exempt organizations.

Tell you what, you talk about what you want and I'll talk about what I want.

I was talking about "cheating" on taxes and how taking legal deductions isn't "cheating". You, as usual, are simply defending your party according to the latest talking points, catchwords, and marching orders you recieved from your handlers.

• Like 3

That is perhaps the most one-sided, shrill left wing article you ahever posted here and it is irrelevant to the matter at hand. If that is teh crap you read then no wnder youy are here defending the IRS (who defends the IRS?!?!?)

The problem is you don't understand what this scandal is about do you? None of the 500 organizations (and climbing) could've "cheated" on their 501 c3/4 stauts because THEY DIDN"T HAVE ONE. I use caps because apparentl, after pages and pages of you defending the IRS, you still don't comprehend what you are defendinfg. How can that be? I offered you ample articles from varied sources, did you read any of them? Probably not. It is fun,BTW, watching spin out of control defending the absolutely indefensible with some of teh most absurd rationalizattions I have ever seen. Keep it up, you are helping the cause immensely.

• Like 2