Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Merged -Tornados Rip Through Midwest

Ashotep

Today the storms are headed my way. Don't think, hope, they will be as deadly as they were there. We have had our share. Feel sorry for the people that have lost their homes and lives because of it.

Cricky, I truly hope you are safe.

Same to DOTNM, hope your friends are safe.

• Like 3

President Obama declared several Oklahoma counties disaster areas and pledged to support the area's rescue and recovery.

============================

And I should think so too ! Not sure if he needed to declare them disaster areas, the pictures and video footage show the devastation and seriousness of the situation.

Has he got his ass there yet?

Few houses here in Oklahoma have basements - I am told that the soil (largely red clay) is not suitable for them as water leakage is high... Many people however have put in small tornado shelters...

I have always disagreed with the no basement situation, but builders here are pretty adamant against them for structural/water damage reasons...

We are building an in-law suite for my father in law who is 86. It is the inside of a big metal building and we decided to kill 2 birds with one stone and make it a concrete storm shelter as well. Hurricanes here every few years.... but the price of a modest little one bed one bath apartment for him DOUBLED to make it storm proof. They are about to pour the concrete any day. But as Taun said, some soils you just cannot put a basement in. Water table is too high here.
  • Like 4

This is a pic of a hailstone from the edge of this same storm...

Hailstone_zps1014d125.jpg

• Like 5

I hate tornadoes, 22 so far. Hope no one was killed.

They revised the death-toll downward to 24 this morning. Seems the coroner's office had double-counted a bunch.

Not much damage up here. Just a bunch of junk in my yard. House is OK. Wife and family OK. The one that hit Poteau was about 15 miles from my daughter's place. And it was her birthday, too!

I'm going down there with some supplies. I'll be leaving in a few minutes. This is getting a little too close for comfort.

Doug

• Like 7

I feel very bad for the victims. This is why I can no longer live in this part of the country, even though homes and land are relatively cheap.

I lived in North Texas for a few months. My car did get damaged by golf-ball sized hail, but that was all. I had to run out to move the car, and it felt like I was being pelted with ice cubes.

Tornadoes are terrifying to me. Sometimes I will have nightmares about them.

• Like 2

" tis was bad but now the worse is over "

here's to surviving another one another day folks ...

15094_10152249515840475_109559390_n.jpg

we shall carry on ... prayers and thought to those that didn't make it

• Like 5

They revised the death-toll downward to 24 this morning. Seems the coroner's office had double-counted a bunch.

Not much damage up here. Just a bunch of junk in my yard. House is OK. Wife and family OK. The one that hit Poteau was about 15 miles from my daughter's place. And it was her birthday, too!

I'm going down there with some supplies. I'll be leaving in a few minutes. This is getting a little too close for comfort.

Doug

Glad you and yours are safe. What a birthday present bet she won't forget this one. Its commendable of you to help out.

Stay safe Hilander. I've got friends out there who I'm concerned about too

Cricky, I truly hope you are safe.

Same to DOTNM, hope your friends are safe.

Thanks, so far they don't seem to be as bad as they were but there are more storms to come.

• Like 2

Ahhh no.....Check this out: http://www.weather.com/news/tornado-central/severe-weather-tracker-page

Severe thunderstorms containing hail, damaging wind gusts, and tornadoes are forecast to roll from Texas to the Mississippi Valley, Ohio Valley and into the Great Lakes. Areas that should prepare for the severe weather include Dallas-Fort Worth,Shreveport, La., St. Louis, Mo., Chicago, Ill. andColumbus, Ohio.

The greatest tornado threat will exist in northeast Texas, far southeast Oklahoma, southwest Arkansas and northwest Louisiana. A few strong tornadoes are possible

• Like 1

Where is Obama?

On news, residence have been asked why they did not have protective cellars, the reason: because they could not afford to have them built.

I sort of understand that, but did the people there not get help to build and have their homes properly protected after the last 1999 tornado? It seems not, but Haiti got help then why not this area?

Maybe Obama will make sure at the very least that any schools build in this area in the future will have a storm proof cellar.

Its no use saying what if, but in this case they had the chance to do something about the safety of the people since the last one occurred.

• Like 1

Where is Obama?

I am no fan of Mr Obama... But he did what he needed to do by proclaiming it a disaster zone... Right now the last thing the people there need is a "dog and pony show" getting in the way of people/time and resources as they continue to search for survivors/victims and begin the long, slow process of recovery...

• Like 6

I am no fan of Mr Obama... But he did what he needed to do by proclaiming it a disaster zone... Right now the last thing the people there need is a "dog and pony show" getting in the way of people/time and resources as they continue to search for survivors/victims and begin the long, slow process of recovery...

Good point, they do not him in the way. Hopefully he will be working with the relevant people so in future the houses will be built with storm proof cellars and preferably funded by the government, as i said earlier...especially the schools.

As for him proclaiming it a disaster zone, I think the video footage told everyone that.

• Like 2

Good point, they do not him in the way. Hopefully he will be working with the relevant people so in future the houses will be built with storm proof cellars and preferably funded by the government, as i said earlier...especially the schools.

As for him proclaiming it a disaster zone, I think the video footage told everyone that.

Very true.. However, for the wheels of government to turn (grind usually) it needs to be "officially" proclaimed as a disaster... Sort of like the starters pistol at the beginning of a race...

• Like 4

Schools, okay maybe... but people building homes in places where natural disasters commonly accure will not be helped. If you build in a flood zone it's up to you to either put the house on stilts or build the property up above the flood plain. A lot of houses on the coasts, where hurricanes are common, cannot even get insurance, because it isn't recommened to build there...it's too high risk. But, you will still see multi-million dollar homes right next to the ocean. When they are eventually destoyed they are written off on taxes and the people will build them back. The only thing the government will do is change the building codes, like they did in California, to withstand earthquakes. Anything built before the new building codes would be grandfathered in though and wouldn't be required to make any changes. The government could give low interest loans to people in tornado country so they could build a small storm shelter.

• Like 6

Schools, okay maybe... but people building homes in places where natural disasters commonly accure will not be helped. If you build in a flood zone it's up to you to either put the house on stilts or build the property up above the flood plain. A lot of houses on the coasts, where hurricanes are common, cannot even get insurance, because it isn't recommened to build there...it's too high risk. But, you will still see multi-million dollar homes right next to the ocean. When they are eventually destoyed they are written off on taxes and the people will build them back. The only thing the government will do is change the building codes, like they did in California, to withstand earthquakes. Anything built before the new building codes would be grandfathered in though and wouldn't be required to make any changes. The government could give low interest loans to people in tornado country so they could build a small storm shelter.

I actually fully agree with you, but people will still there. Enough money is given to people in areas which they should not be living in, eg: some of the African in areas where they should have moved from long ago, parts of India which are notorious for floodings, Haiti had millions pumped into it, so why are the people of the midwest any different. The last big tornado they had was in 1999, since then many new houses have been built, it was from the last time that something should have been done, especially with the school.

I was asking about the insurance thing earlier and was wondering if any of them had insurance.

• Like 1

Oklahoma does offer a rebate program for storm shelters in peoples homes... And has since at least 2011... The rebate is ~$2,000 and the typical storm shelter runs from $2,500 to $6,000 (although prices can vary due to the houses foundation type, etc)...

So after the rebate a storm shelter can cost from $500 to $4,000 (ish)... Very affordable actually... Exterior storm shelters (the dug in type) probably cost a bit more - I'm not sure... but not out of the market for a typical home owner...

edit - this from a quick internet search on storm shelter costs...

One reason I believe that some do not get storm shelters inside their houses is that it takes up valuable space that can't really be used for anything but safety - no storage in other words... I'm not saying that is a GOOD reason... but when a family of 4 are living in a 1,500 sq ft house, and then they decide to dedicate (say 150 sq ft) to "non-functional" purposes... it does make a difference... And many houses aren't 1,500 sq ft...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 2

If a house is paid for, homeowners insurance is generally not required. Otherwise the bank will require that a home have insurance as part of the mortgage agreement.

I noticed a lot of the damaged homes were wood-frame construction which is cheaper and faster to build than concrete. Sometimes concrete homes have foundation problems due to ground movement. This is what I found was true while living in Texas.

If a house is paid for, homeowners insurance is generally not required. Otherwise the bank will require that a home have insurance as part of the mortgage agreement.

I noticed a lot of the damaged homes were wood-frame construction which is cheaper and faster to build than concrete. Sometimes concrete homes have foundation problems due to ground movement. This is what I found was true while living in Texas.

With a tornado of that strength concrete would have offered little resistance either. All that really helps is windbreaks, that is more forest with tall trees between house clusters.

• Like 1

With a tornado of that strength concrete would have offered little resistance either. All that really helps is windbreaks, that is more forest with tall trees between house clusters.

Actually if a concrete box is constructed and tied together at the interfaces - walls, ceiling and footing with rebar it can withstand an EF5. But it is horribly expensive to build. Being able to get below ground is as safe or maybe even more safe but not all land allows that luxury. Here where I am even a septic tank has to be slightly elevated and the field lines placed in a berm. Water table just too high.
  • Like 1

I'm not much for tornado movie collections or remakes, but I think you'll find this one is a different.

As sad as the current situation is, you have to admire the people of Moore, OK for their perseverance. They have a remarkable spirit in the face of such tragedy. It's like nothing I recall ever seeing following similar circumstances. I can see why they call it the "Heartland."

I have no doubt that they will overcome this disaster, and be back on their feet in no time; hopefully, with better bunkers.

If but two of these becomes a spokesperson for the planet, perhaps they can help wake U.S. all.

• Like 3