Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Record-breaking 128lb Python,18ft & 8in long

Still Waters

The biggest ever Python snake found in Florida, measuring 18 feet and 8 inches long, has been captured and killed.

The 128lb giant female reptile broke the previous record by over a foot.

The Burmese Python, an invasive species to the Florida Everglades, was found and killed by Jason Leon in a rural area southeast of Miami.

http://www.dailymail...ed-Florida.html

• Like 2

So glad people got them for pets and turned them loose. People in Florida needed another reason to worry about their kids and pets safety.

That thing is big and bet there is more just as big or bigger.

• Like 2

I don't understand why they have to be killed.. Sure they're invasive, but why not put them where they belong?

• Like 2

The state put a bounty on the 'invasive' species ... means if you keep one alive it means 'harboring' one ... means a law will be broken

18 feet 8 inches...hummm...thats make how many pairs of boots? or some woman a nice dress or skirt even sum nice jeans wow just a lot of possabilties and would be doing the state of fl a favore as well seems to me like a win win all around wouldnt be the first critter to be harvisted for other means other then just killing

I don't understand why they have to be killed.. Sure they're invasive, but why not put them where they belong?

Zoos and even some pet shops are awash in giant constrictors. The feeding bill alone has got to be hugely expensive. If S. Florida ever wants to get rid of invasive animals like Retic Pythons, Green Iguana and Ferrel Hogs there should be a year-round open season on them, even in state parks like the Everglades, because they are expanding their territories with each new batch of young. It is sad animals must be killed but they do not belong in this habitat and they are altering the native ecosystem. I would not be surprised if these species are not just the tip of the iceberg. I saw a show where snake catchers in S. Florida were called out to capture a snake which turned out to be a King Cobra. On another episode it was a Salt Water Crocodile from Australia. Who knows what is actually loose and possibly reproducing down there?

BTW if you want to see the harm an invasive species can really do, see what the Brown Tree Snake did to the island of Guam and it's indigenous wildlife. Then you will know why they need to get serious about control.

• Like 2

That is the stuff of nightmares! I would be completely agoraphobic if I had to worry about snakes that size or even half it's size... ok anything over 3 feet.

Those guys were lucky. it could have ended much differently. I think it's a shame to have to kill such a majestically interesting animal but I understand why.

Bad karma on the releasers who started this mess.

if cooked wrong ( any way other than stewed or boiled until tender) then it is really really tough when they are that big ( yes I have had snake meat, I've had rattle snake, cobra and some type of Asian constrictor which I cannot remember the name Of ) ) but having had and disliked calamari, I don't think they taste anything alike.

I am surprised that more people haven't started hunting some of the invasive species in Florida for the bounties.

That is the stuff of nightmares! I would be completely agoraphobic if I had to worry about snakes that size or even half it's size... ok anything over 3 feet.

Those guys were lucky. it could have ended much differently. I think it's a shame to have to kill such a majestically interesting animal but I understand why.

Bad karma on the releasers who started this mess.

Some of the releases were no doubt from pet owners, but not necessarily on purpose, snakes are master escape artists. I had a native yellow rat snake for a year or so before it managed to escape its cage and a workshop and got outside, which was okay since they are local anyway, but you would be surprised how strong a constrictor can be.

My understanding is that most of the pythons were released by Hurricane Andrew when it leveled a breeding facility of snakes for the pet trade. A large number were released at once near the Everglades and formed the nexus of a breeding population. There is some thought that the hurricane was also was responsible for the release of Lionfish into the Atlantic as well as supposedly a tropical fish importer on the ocean was damaged as well, but that seems a bit more unlikely.

I guess I should've said that I am against them having to be killed when humans bought them and freed them illegally.

Edited by AliveInDeath7
  • Like 2

Good idea to put a season on them. It should help keep the population in check.

Especially if given a good price. They have rattlesnake roundups. Why not Python roundups.

18 feet 8 inches...hummm...thats make how many pairs of boots? or some woman a nice dress or skirt even sum nice jeans wow just a lot of possabilties and would be doing the state of fl a favore as well seems to me like a win win all around wouldnt be the first critter to be harvisted for other means other then just killing

Skirt or dress in snakeskin is just a waste of snake and only Steven Tyler can get away with snakeskin jeans.

Lets just stick with shoes, belts , handbags , pursers and wallets. Like what God intended them to be used for.

Thats a gator eater for sure.its a shame they have to kill these snakes

Some of the releases were no doubt from pet owners, but not necessarily on purpose, snakes are master escape artists. I had a native yellow rat snake for a year or so before it managed to escape its cage and a workshop and got outside, which was okay since they are local anyway, but you would be surprised how strong a constrictor can be.

My understanding is that most of the pythons were released by Hurricane Andrew when it leveled a breeding facility of snakes for the pet trade. A large number were released at once near the Everglades and formed the nexus of a breeding population. There is some thought that the hurricane was also was responsible for the release of Lionfish into the Atlantic as well as supposedly a tropical fish importer on the ocean was damaged as well, but that seems a bit more unlikely.

Maybe snakes shouldn't be kept as pets if they want to be free so badly. I've had birds escape only to come back home to me, preferring to live the pampered life. They get to fly around the house and will not go outside anymore unless it's with me.

Python Steaks (2 in a 250g Pack) - MPYWHFP51

63fb44fc-6222-4b35-9133-a16300cb6223_250x214.jpg

Price: £22.31

Supposed to taste a bit like calamari

I hope they are making use of the animals that have to be culled. Seems like a waste to just kill it and walk away. I would want my dead body put to use somehow after death. Maybe turn me into some soylent green or plant me under a fruit tree to fertilize the earth. I'd even prefer to be rotting in the open on that FBI body farm in Tennessee than preserved in embalming fluid and sealed in a box.

Might be too garish to use my skin for shoes and purses though...

~snip

I hope they are making use of the animals that have to be culled. Seems like a waste to just kill it and walk away. I would want my dead body put to use somehow after death. Maybe turn me into some soylent green or plant me under a fruit tree to fertilize the earth. I'd even prefer to be rotting in the open on that FBI body farm in Tennessee than preserved in embalming fluid and sealed in a box.

Might be too garish to use my skin for shoes and purses though...

124.jpeg

Gunther von Hagens ... Body Worlds ... not for the faint of heart ... link

124.jpeg

Gunther von Hagens ... Body Worlds ... not for the faint of heart ... link

Which I am but these came to Hawaii a few years ago and are actually really cool and interesting.

• Like 1

it's a snake, so it must be pretty boney. I've never tried it, but I may. Any suggestions?

it's a snake, so it must be pretty boney. I've never tried it, but I may. Any suggestions?

take them out on walks softens them up ...

480838_590144304343054_1709861531_n.jpg

why didn't One just put it to sleep?I mean authorities are killing these animals and yet humans go into their territory and its okay?but when they come no no no lets kill it.lets reverse this scene on humanity think about That!!!

These snakes are invasive species plain and simple. Yes, they were imported for the pet trade, but so are a lot of other animals. The hurricane released most of them. A few careless pet owners didn't release enough of these snakes to support a breeding population as vast as is present. These snakes, once they reach a certain size or top of the line predators. The alligator is no longer the top predator in south florida anymore and that is the problem. The everglades are one of the most fragile ecosystems on earth, and introducing another top predator into the mix can be devastating. They have already seen a drastic drop in numbers of native species, and by drastic I mean up to 90% for some species. I love snakes, and hate that these animals need to be eradicated, but unfortunately that is the hard truth. I don't believe florida is doing enough to eradicate these animals though, and they are probably here to stay. As far as them being man eaters, well, that is mostly TV hype for ratings. Could an 18ft python eat a small human? Yes, but the reality of it happening is very slim.

Mike

why didn't One just put it to sleep?I mean authorities are killing these animals and yet humans go into their territory and its okay?but when they come no no no lets kill it.lets reverse this scene on humanity think about That!!!

"Their territory" is S.E. Asia, they don't belong in a Florida ecosystem. The most humane way to kill an ectothermic (cold blooded) creature is to put into a freezer, at least according to some authorities. That could have proven difficult when it is wrapped around you and ticked off. Also, that would be a big freezer!

• Like 1

If you want to eradicate it start telling people how delicious it is barbecued.

• Like 2