Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spiral Dynamics: What is beyond Turquoise?

Clarakore

Beige

• Summary: Archaic-instinctive—survivalistic/automatic/reflexological
  • Time of origin: c. 100,000 BC
  • Description: "Express self to meet imperative physiological needs through instincts of Homo sapiens."

Purple

• Summary: Animistic-tribalistic magical-animistic Tribal order
  • Time of origin: 50,000 BC
  • Description: "Sacrifice to the ways of the elders and customs as one subsumed in group." This is the level of traditional cultures.

Red

• Summary: Egocentric-exploitive power gods/dominionist
  • Time of origin: 7000 BC
  • Description: "Express self (impulsively) for what self desires without guilt and to avoid shame." Expressed by the mentality of street gangs, Vikings, etc.

Blue

• Summary: Absolutistic-obedience mythic order—purposeful/authoritarian
  • Time of origin: c. 3000 BC
  • Description: "Sacrifice self for reward to come through obedience to rightful authority in purposeful Way." Embodied by fundamentalist religions.

Orange

• Summary: Multiplistic-achievist scientific/strategic
  • Time of origin: c. 1000 AD on (as early as 600 AD according to Graves and Calhoun)
  • Description: "Express self (calculatedly) to reach goals and objectives without rousing the ire of important others." Expressed in the Scientific Revolution and the Industrial Revolution.

Green

• Summary: Relativistic-personalistic—communitarian/egalitarian
  • Time of origin: From 1850 on (surged in early 20th century)
  • Description: "Sacrifice self-interest now in order to gain acceptance and group harmony." Expressed in 1960s pluralism and systems theory.

Yellow

• Summary: Systemic-integrative
  • Time of origin: 1950s
  • Description: "Express self not for what self desires, but to avoid harm to others so that all life, not just own life, will benefit."

Turquoise

• Summary: Holistic
  • Time of origin: 1970s
  • Description: An integrative system which combines an organism's necessary self-interest with the interests of the communities in which it participates. The theory is still forming.

Spiral Dynamics

To me there are still reds around. The culture wars seem to be between blues and oranges.

Where are the greens?

A few yellow and even less turquoise are here among us.

That is when it comes to people.

My society seems to be divided mainly between blues and oranges.

• Like 1

I think you dont notice the turquoise so easily because it's not a hip thing to be, I think it has a reputation of being all cooky scetchy new agism when it's just another point of view. I think it's also a very old way of seeing life, but was never practised by many who were both vocal and devoted about it, until this day perhaps. At least that's the picture I've gotten from my history lessons.

My work jacket being blue describes well the blueness of this kind we have in work-life. To say you'd be free of that is to say you didn't need (any more) money in this world.

Apart from taking part to family traditions, I'm pretty purple actually, though there's a lot of colors in me. Blue is not so much a voluntary choise but something I've submitted to like a lot of us.

What color would an isolationist be? Black?

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

To me the ending colors seem positively biased and they are theoretical. The earlier states explain those who fall behind in modern society and how humans lived life threw out our history.

I notice the pattern of expressing and sacrificing self ended with the turquoise.

However, I don't think that these descriptions and origins accurately reflect where society is today - maybe it just shows when these new views were first noticed and documented.

Most of (western, developed) society is still stuck in the Red: "Express self (impulsively) for what self desires without guilt and to avoid shame."

This is reflected in the way that gender issues, identity, autonomy, independence, freedom of choice and opinion etc. are major issues and have been for the last ten years in particular. These are not new issues for the human race! There have always been transsexuals (though they may not have been able to physically change much on their bodies until the last few decades). They have always existed. The same with homosexuality - it's not like the human race has only just decided to accept them for the very first time in history.

And look at social media - everything is about self-marketing. Selling yourself, your lifestyle, your body, your name, your images, your talents. YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, dating apps, Snapchat, TikTok... Most people are moving away from spending a decade or two in the one trade, the one business and with the same company for a stay-at-home, work for yourself personal business. Make up artists. Amateur photographers. Online video gamers. Bloggers. Vloggers. Product reviewers.

The world is such a smaller place now that the Internet has connected us across almost every square inch of the world. You can literally contact any part of the world within seconds - and it's only getting faster and easier to do. People are able to freely comment whatever they like about someone they've never spoken to or even name-and-shame somebody they've never met. Platforms for social connection are only just starting to catch up, as are courts of law - but there's already been so much damage done. So many people rely on what their faceless, nameless digital friends and followers think and say about them. How many likes they get. The bullying is out of control. People are literally doing and saying whatever they like and uploading it without a second thought.

This day and age, you're hard-pressed to find anybody who has progressed and evolved past this social stage.

It seems as if the majority of those who aren't wrapped up in this obsession with self are the Blues and they're still stuck following the rigorous rules of religion, sacrificing themselves for the greater good, for eternal life and for righteousness and salvation.

"Sacrifice self for reward to come through obedience to rightful authority in purposeful Way."

Edited by jypsijemini
  • Thanks 1

Happiness will never come to those who fail to appreciate what they already have.” – Buddha

Peace

• Like 1

what a shame the Bhagwan and Ma Sheela did a number on the colour orange, I am quite an admirer of that shade. Tough titties, I suppose.

On 5/21/2013 at 5:25 PM, Clarakore said:

Spiral Dynamics

To me there are still reds around. The culture wars seem to be between blues and oranges.

Where are the greens?

A few yellow and even less turquoise are here among us.

That is when it comes to people.

My society seems to be divided mainly between blues and oranges.

We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.

” – Buddha "

Peace