Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The power of Creative Visualization

Blueogre2

Greetings forum. I was surfing around the web recently when I happened to read up about a mental technique called Creative Visualization and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it and if so how useful is it?

I have had a really bad pain problem since birth and instead of taking pain meds, my Mom taught me to visualize to get around the pain. It works wonders, and I have done this visualization my entire life (I'm 40 now).

• Like 1

I have had a really bad pain problem since birth and instead of taking pain meds, my Mom taught me to visualize to get around the pain. It works wonders, and I have done this visualization my entire life (I'm 40 now).

can you go in to more details with this. im curouis

• Like 1

Basketball players imagine making the shot in their mind then take it. Karate fighters could imagine their fist going through their opponent delivering a heavier blow on contact. Skaters imagine making ollies or going up ramps for an aerial. This is all creative visualization.

Visualization as a general tool could be used to imagine being interviews, imagine what questions they will ask you, imagine being them liking you, imagine being you feeling confident answering, then going in and acing it.

It can be used to imagine talking to a crush. Delivering bad news calmy. Asking superiors for a raise. Being calm around a grump.

Imagine a shield around you and all that is good from someone can enter but all that is negative hits the wall, slides down, then is absorbed by the earth to be recyled into positive energy.

You pull into a parking lot and find a space...although I no longer use this one since parking farther out and walking is preferred now.

Visualize performing a spell, magical items are just tools to represent the real magic inside of you.

Feeling depressed then visualize happiness but biting on a pencil doesn't hurt to do as well.

All these are ways to use visualization in general. My father taught me the basics.

One could form a circle around then and one around another with a straight line connecting the two for small influence.

• Like 1

can you go in to more details with this. im curouis

I was born with a birth defect, my left lower body basically had double or triple the vascular structures it should normally have, plus other complications. I have had chronic pain since I was born which gets progressively worse over time. I spent a lot of time in hospitals undergoing tests and doctors were offering my mother barbiturates and other pain killers for me as early as age three. My Mom sat me down then and talked to me and said she couldn't blame me if I took them but she didn't want to see my mind destroyed, or see me addicted where I would be begging for another dose like we had seen other kids go through at the hospital. She taught me to do visualization for pain, which meant me picking a place or time and describing it, concentrating on the details, the smells, the colors, lighting etc. I remember watching Mask with Cher about Rocky Dennis and that was the first time I saw someone else using the same technique. My visualizations have evolved over time and I use them for other things in addition to pain control. The most I ever take now is Tylenol on occasion and not for my leg pain, mostly a toothache or headache. The side effect if you would call it that of visualization is lucid dreaming, which I have done almost all my adult life. I have almost total control over my dreams, can dream about things I want, change things I don't like etc. I would say visualization saved my life as I don't think drugs would have effectively controlled my pain without addicting me or at least costing me health wise. I will always be grateful to my Mom for teaching me and seeing ahead how much better of a life I might have not taking pain meds. I am in a wheelchair, have been since about the fourth grade and despite being in pain some days more than others I managed to get a degree. The visualization I think enhanced my memorization skills because you have to concentrate and focus your mind to create places that are peaceful and comfortable to get past the pain. Something about that I think enhances your capacity to recall things and to be able to shut out distractions around you when you need to. Hope that helps.

Edited by darkmoonlady
  • Like 1

Visualization, for me personally, is a huge tool in many types of success or meeting goals. Some people call it many different things, but the main point is to concentrate on what you need or want to accomplish and do it. Start with small goals, or even excercises, and work your way up from there. LBA and DML have it right on the money.

• Like 1

Yes I like all these responses, I think I could develop this technique to help me overcome certain health problems and build inner strength. Thanks for the advice everyone

• Like 1