Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

50% decline in the American population?

whereismantaw

Celebrity spokespeople do free TV ads, reminding us to turn off the lights when we leave the room and not run the water when we brush our teeth. The government wants us to use CFL bulbs. We all must do our part to help America. Regardless of how you feel about our government - if we consume less, we do help a greater good. A large part of it is so we become less reliant on foreign oil. So somebody is thinking about America.

The results of these efforts, even if 100% followed them, would not be felt for many years. Yet the ads run and groups set up Earth Day fairs and throw Frisbees.

You do have to start somewhere.

Gay marriage sends a message that being gay is AOK. Truth is - being gay is AOK. Gays were in the closest 10, 20, 30 years ago. Not anymore. In 10, 20, or maybe 30 more years, children will live in a world where being gay is just as acceptable as being hetero. Many applaud this. Today at least, even I think it's fine.

But unfortunately - there's a big problem.

Gays don't reproduce. Thus, while other countries continue to have 4-7 children each, America very well could become a place with less children and a huge portion of our people having same sex partners.

As you've guessed, I don't mind gay people. To each his/her own. It's not my style, but that's because there was a stigma about it as I grew up. My parents weren't intolerant. It was probably more that being gay was taboo, so during the seldom times the topic came up, it was quickly shuffled away as such, leading my generation swiftly away from that lifestyle choice.

But not today. The media adores it. The government validates it. Today, being gay is applauded and rewarded.

It's honestly difficult to say this as I do not intend to sound intolerant nor offend any gay person. But while gay rights and equality is important, what about our actual humanity? The physical people that populate our country?

It could take 75-150 years. But if/when all our generations die and any stigmas die with us, on our current path, it will be 100% acceptable to be gay. Then - you have twice the odds of finding a partner or just having a good time. There are about 50% of each sex. If 50% decide to be gay, that's 50% of future America not having kids, and within 150 years, our population is cut in half.

If you're going to turn off light bulbs and conserve water - what about conserving people? Assure that our population continues? We'll certainly consume less water and electricity if there are half as many of us. Yet could you imagine a public service commercial where a celebrity says "don't be gay, because then you probably won't procreate, and for future generations, there will be less tax revenue, less workers, less soldiers, and far smaller America. So do your part - don't be gay."

Is there some innate element within people that would still lead a majority of them to ultimately be heterosexual and have children, regardless of whether being gay becomes universally accepted in America?

This would be the ideal argument from a gay person. Yet they shouldn't need to defend themselves. Or should they?

Is a potential decline in the American population due to widespread acceptance of homosexuality a topic too hard to talk about? How do you preserve and respect human rights and the right to choose the partner of your choice - while also preserving America's future population?

I don't think gays seek to overtake America. To the point, they can't/don't reproduce. Seeking acceptance and equal rights is fair and just - yet to gain it, sometimes you must go over-the-top. Perhaps this is why there has been an ever-growing surge of "gay" - just about everywhere. To be heard, sometimes you must yell really loud. And the media likes loud.

Yet since gays don't seek to overtake America and are simply seeking equal rights, if equal rights were given universally in America, perhaps a campaign of "quiet" would ensue. I don't say it should be to sweep anyone back into the closet. With equal rights and total acceptance, they can live a life like anyone else. But once that becomes set in stone, then there is probably less need for such widespread exposure of gay themes, TV, laws and other counterparts. American culture could once again return to the premise that heterosexuality is ideal - simply for population reasons - while giving gays complete freedom of equality.

Of course, there is the eternal argument that some people are born gay. That may or may not be true. Yet it doesn't matter regardless. If in our near future, if children are raised to believe either sex is 100% the same when choosing a partner, all bets are off. Man, woman. It may go against what you know and believe today. But in the future, when considering current events and popular culture today amplified in coming years - everyone may equally find a shirtless man or woman in a bikini equally attractive, and have an equal chance of sharing a phone number with either.

Our biggest hurdle is creating an understanding - from both homo and heterosexual people. Gay activists might say an article like this is pure hatred. It's not. Conservative folks will bring the Bible into it. Nope. Either of these arguments are like walking up to a stranger and instantly getting into a sword fight.

Instead, both sides should say "well, maybe there's some merit here. Let's talk about it."

If you want gay rights, have them. The government should facilitate. There should be tolerance. Yet if you do not support gay rights, gays will get louder and louder and take their rights, influencing others along the way to consider homosexuality via growing influence in media and popular culture - only existent because gays seek equal rights - and ultimately the line between man and woman will be erased causing a decline in population - because you didn't support gay rights. Gays don't want a decline in population, either.

Would universal acceptance of gay equality quiet down the gay talk and themes permeating America and allow for the number of gays to remain as naturally occurring? Or would gay themes accelerate, causing more to consider homosexuality causing not only partnership lines to be blurred, but also the decline of population?

There is nothing wrong with being gay. Some don't agree with that.

There is a problem if American population declines. 100% agree with that.

Your thoughts?

Edited by whereismantaw

I don't understand this , gay is gay, not made to be gay and gays become parents. Even if they (lesbian and homosexual) use a turkey baster on each other to achieve it. What do you think, gays don't want children?

Um we don't have a population/reproduction issue in this country of too few people. Quite normally for an industrialized society we have a lower birth rate because we have a low infant mortality rate. We have thousands of children languishing in foster care, thousands given up for adoption and you are seriously worried gays will lower our reproductive curve?

A new level of tolerance towards homosexuality is not going to undo the heterosexual and parental urges of the majority.

• Like 1

I wouldn't have a problem if the population dropped a bit.

I'm not sure how much gay has to do with it though. Yes, gay people do have children. Sometimes they are the biological parents, sometimes they adopt. Heterosexual couples are having fewer kids for a variety of reasons. Teenage pregnancies have declined a bit too over the last decade.

Maybe a lot of folks in the U.S. have realized they don't want 4-7 kids each, they are good with having 1-2.

The tired "homosexuality will be the downfall of our civilization" argument. The problem with this idea is the belief that the gay lifestyle is a rejection of the family unit, which is seldom the case. Many children are adopted by gay couples, children that may have otherwise been raised in foster care their whole lives, jumping from guardian to guardian every couple years. Also believe it or not gays do actually procreate, maybe not in the traditional style if you know what I mean, but never the less, keeping the genetic diversity strong. What about immigration, I don't see that ever coming to full stop either. Idk man, your point of view just illustrates the justification towards non tolerance of a minority group, which is in unAmerican IMHO. You have every right to believe what you do, Iive and let live.

Your thoughts?

Sorry, couldn't read your post since you have the world's tiniest font.

• Like 2

EVERYBODY RUN, the GAY is gonna get ya!

On the upside, we'll be the most fabulous 1.5 billion people on the planet.

• Like 4

There is a problem if American population declines.

No, this is not a problem. It's a solution. All industrialized countries have declining populations.

• Like 1

We need less people. We've got too much scum breeding scum. I'm down.

• Like 1

So let me get the correct... we've had plagues, wars, famine, condoms and birth control, but what will finally decrease our already over populated numbers will be...... Gay people. Cuz in the future it will be so accepted that ONE out of every TWO people born will be gay and that all them gay people wont want children.

*face-palm*

• Like 4

There is a problem if American population declines. 100% agree with that.

Your thoughts?

I don't know where your 100% figure comes from here. A decline in our population is a good thing. Even a 50% decline would be good. I'm talking through natural attrition, not some sort of kooky mass culling.

• Like 1

Immigration, especially Mexican and other Latino cultures will ensure a steady US population in the future. Once the massive amnesty bill is passed then we will not have a population decrease for the next 100 years.

Also, don't let the gay mafia fool you into thinking that gays equal more than about 2-3% of the population. I know that watching television, you would think it's about 50%, but it is not.

Edited by tapirmusic

Unless the gays decide to nuke a few dozen cities there's no way they're going to cause a 50% population decline.