Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The White Palace of Potala in Tibet

LucidElement

As a history major it suprises me I have never heard of this. I am going to research it further to learn more about it. However, what can anyone here, (if fimiliar) with it, tell me about it? Im guessing its not being used today? Or is it still a place of worship? I know the Dhali Lama used to live there... and the current one fled to India. Im just trying to figure out why its so damn huge and what they use(d) it for.!

Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LucidElement

• DieChecker

• SHaYap

• s33ker

Top Posters In This Topic

Any link?

i just wiki'd it... if anyone has not seen this, its pretty interesting, highly recommend you guys looking at it. But, let me know if you can answer any of those questions.

=)

Wiki says it is currently a Museum. But, I'd not be surprised if the Chinese are not using it for other purposes... government, storage, research center... who knows.

Norbulingka, the Dalai Lama's former summer palace constructed in the 18th century, is located on the bank of the Lhasa River about 2km west of the Potala Palace in a lush green environment. It comprises a large garden with four palace complexes and a monastery as well as other halls, and pavilions all integrated into the garden layout to create an exceptional work of art covering 36ha. The property is closely linked with religious and political issues, having been a place for contemplation and for signing political agreements.

The Historic Ensemble of the Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple and Norbulingka embody the administrative, religious and symbolic functions of the Tibetan theocratic government through their location, layout and architecture. The beauty and originality of the architecture of these three sites, their rich ornamentation and harmonious integration in a striking landscape, contribute to their Outstanding Universal Value.

Criterion (i): The Historic Ensemble of the Potala Palace is an outstanding work of human imagination and creativity, for its design, its decoration and its harmonious setting within a dramatic landscape. The three-in-one historic ensemble of the Potala Palace, with Potala the palace-fort complex, Norbulingka the garden residence and the Jokhang Temple Monastery the temple architecture, each with its distinctive characteristics, forms an outstanding example of traditional Tibetan architecture.

Historic Ensemble of the Potala Palace, Lhasa link

Sites everywhere seems to place the historical, architectural and artistic context higher than its function, and all sites I've found seems to repeat this criteria.