Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rule Britannia for global crimes

Big Bad Voodoo

strangely enough INOT, I took your advice, then, after reading the comments, decided to post one.

I said how odd that all the comments seemed to have been written in the same style, as if they'd all been written by the same 2-3 guys.

and d'you know what?

it stayed on there for a full eight minutes before it was removed.....

bet my email inbox is flooded with s**te from iranian nutters tomorrow.

post-39751-0-52452000-1369334236_thumb.j

• Like 2

I believe that Britain openly admits that the concentration camps were horribly run and also openly admits the causes of the Opium Wars (which France was also involved in so not sure why Britain is being singled out). I see no reason why there should be any payouts. Those who were wronged have since died and most of the actions taken by Britain were par the course during the colonial era.

They admit? When? Who?

Terrorist, Racist Boers.

Small correction:

They were army aginst agressor. Britannia.

Racist were again, British.

One here said that I picked up Brittish because they are leaders. Well to be a leader you must lead by example.

Also one here said that Im not good at modern history while I notice ignorance at it best by Brittish on their own history. Sad.

Also one correction scorched earth policy is when you burn own houses because you dont want to leave anything for incoming enemy.

Brittish burn others people houses in foregin land. Huge difference.

Small correction:

They were army aginst agressor. Britannia.

Racist were again, British.

One here said that I picked up Brittish because they are leaders. Well to be a leader you must lead by example.

Also one here said that Im not good at modern history while I notice ignorance at it best by Brittish on their own history. Sad.

Also one correction scorched earth policy is when you burn own houses because you dont want to leave anything for incoming enemy.

Brittish burn others people houses in foregin land. Huge difference.

Some small corrections in return, O oracle of fiction history:

How do you think the Boers treated the indigenous population before and after the British invasion? A clue, most of the natives who fought did so on our side.

No-one here has said you are not good at modern history. Precisely the opposite. I said you seem ok on modern history but know little about antiquity.

You were the one who referred to the British burning of farms as 'scorched earth'. The practice of burning settlements in another country has existed for hundreds, if not thousands of years, as I said earlier.

Most of you confusion seems to stem from a lack of understanding of language. If you want to continue a discussion via PM, I can offer you one in German or (shaky) Spanish instead.

• Like 1

They admit? When? Who?

...every book and course I've come across talking about the Boer War and the Opium War touches on concentration camps and the sale of opium. The information is very easy to come across for anyone looking into the subject. And as most of the sources used are British they not trying to hid this information. I've never come across anything saying that the concentration camps weren't poorly run and resulted in thousands of deaths. Likewise I haven't come across any sources claiming the Opium Wars were about anything but the reopening of the opium trade. So the British aren't really hidding anything.

If you're looking for formal statements it seems the Queen noted the suffering caused by the British during the Boer War on November 10th, 1999 during a trip to South Africa.

Edited by Corp

Setton,

natives were given guns to kill Boers and to help Brittish cause. Nothing more or nothing less.

So you justify burning houses and putting people in conc.camps?

If you're looking for formal statements it seems the Queen noted the suffering caused by the British during the Boer War on November 10th, 1999 during a trip to South Africa.

Thats what Im looking. I searched google and couldnt found her speech.

If is true, then thats a start.

name a former british colony at random...

Cmon, get real.

Setton,

natives were given guns to kill Boers and to help Brittish cause. Nothing more or nothing less.

Not so. The Swazis in particular came forward to settle scores with the Boers because of the way they had been treated. The enemy of my enemy and all that.

So you justify burning houses and putting people in conc.camps?

And where have I justified it? What I have said is that it was not an uncommon part of war so to single out the British for it shows your bias. And if you are going to burn the civilians' lands, I'd rather they were in camps than left to starve.

• Like 1

Most of the countries annexed into the British Empire were left it in a better State than they were found.

Empire bashing is easy, but most of those countries that were in it wouldn't want to return their countries to the way they were before.

Without out it they wouldnt have such a level of things like fair legal systems, good systems of education, railway, canal and transport infrastructure, democratic leadership, modern agriculture, socail infrastructure, hospitals and healthcare, freed trade within commonwealth and empire nations, and common language between tribes in places like India and Africa breaking down ethnic barriers. I'd say that was the debt paid - but then again I suppose they could always dig the old railways up and scrap the metal as compensation.

• Like 2

Most of the countries annexed into the British Empire were left it in a better State than they were found.

Empire bashing is easy, but most of those countries that were in it wouldn't want to return their countries to the way they were before.

Without out it they wouldnt have such a level of things like fair legal systems, good systems of education, railway, canal and transport infrastructure, democratic leadership, modern agriculture, socail infrastructure, hospitals and healthcare, freed trade within commonwealth and empire nations, and common language between tribes in places like India and Africa breaking down ethnic barriers. I'd say that was the debt paid - but then again I suppose they could always dig the old railways up and scrap the metal as compensation.

Whilst correct, your judging it by different standards than they might. Sure, most of these nations are arguably better off for the infrastructure that the Empire left behind. But, these people may well have preferred to attain these things on their own terms.

The loss of cultural identity is quite a price to pay for that progress.

British imperialism had positive effects on the world. It also did a great deal of harm.

• Like 4

That's true but the same could be said about the native Britons when the Romans, Vikings, Angles and Saxons came along and changed everything. Britain doesn't expect recompense from Italy and Germany though - or is there a cut off point for paying back the debt of invasion?
  • Like 1

That's true but the same could be said about the native Britons when the Romans, Vikings, Angles and Saxons came along and changed everything. Britain doesn't expect recompense from Italy and Germany though - or is there a cut off point for paying back the debt of invasion?

1800 apparently. Although God knows why.

• Like 2

Ah footing the bill of people who no longer exist anymore and neither parties having any say in their current localised existence or made any direct negative effects towards each other in regards to the issue at hand.

It is almost like apologising to someone else for someone bumping into them. No one alive authorised what happened and the general consensus would probably be that of causing these war crimes is very wrong and not agree with them.

I'm sure those who sue based on this are truly offended by what happened and aren't at all in it for money.

• Like 1

Not so. The Swazis in particular came forward to settle scores with the Boers because of the way they had been treated. The enemy of my enemy and all that.

And where have I justified it? What I have said is that it was not an uncommon part of war so to single out the British for it shows your bias. And if you are going to burn the civilians' lands, I'd rather they were in camps than left to starve.

But again that was involvment in others country problems.

You cant justify why those kids finished in conc.camps.

Would you tell that Nazis helped Jews when they put them in conc.camps because they were not safe in Germany?

Not true. Even this post is left over of imperialistic thinking.

And should I say racial thinikng as well.

British treated natives as they were not humans.

British imperialism had positive effects on the world. It also did a great deal of harm.

Not just loss of cultural indentity. Loss of population. Loss of resourceres. Loss of whole states. Loss of law. And thats just brainstorm.

Edited by the L

That's true but the same could be said about the native Britons when the Romans, Vikings, Angles and Saxons came along and changed everything.

Roman state doesnt exist anymore. Neither Saxon. But British state exist. Also you are Saxons. So you cant sue yourselves.

1800 apparently. Although God knows why.

Well I answer you why. Also read above.

Edited by the L

The British and every other colonial European power. Should the British also try and get compensation from Denmark, Norway and Sweden for the Viking invasion?

Where do you draw the line?

I draw the line in previous posts. Sadly you dont read.

Edit: Btw French were more friendly then others. Belgium was cruelest.

Edited by the L

You draw the line at "make the evil British pay and nobody else".

I will not even respond to this childish post in a sense I usualy do. I dont think I need to explain myself over it.

Edited by the L

I want compensation for the Vikings. It had nothing to do with the modern population of Scandinavia (or me for that matter) but damn it they must pay!

But UK and commonwealth is succesor of BE, therefore , show me the money! :tu:

Edited by the L

Britain is also responsible for the colonisation of most of the western world. Show me the money indeed...

:blink::lol:

Indeed. I agree. I dont think you understand what you just said.