Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does Practice Really Make Perfect?

Big Bad Voodoo

I think it does, maybe not with everything. If its over your head you might not ever get better at it. Something like video games the more you play the better you get.

I'd argue practice makes permanent. Good or bad. Depends how you are practicing something doesn't it?

I can practice incorrectly as easily as correctly. Thus, the need for correction from others or even yourself.

Learning something is a process and i doubt most catch on perfectly at every step.

Edited by QuiteContrary

I think loving what you are practicing makes all of the difference. That said, practicing makes you more comfortable in what you're doing, opening the door wider to your theoretical inherent skill/talent/creativity, I almost want to say.

But I think the type of thinking/feeling necessary to learn different things is very important. Some people might just not have as adept a mind at the mental/physical processes used to learn chess, learn to play drums, juggle, etc.

I had someone tell me perfect practice makes perfect. if your practice is not perfect then you will just get real good at doing it wrong.

• Like 2

I'm not sure about 'perfect', but if you practice anything for long enough it usually helps.

• Like 1

I think one can practice too much in the sense that it takes time for the brain to assimilate what is practiced. For instance, if I practice a complicated riff on my bass, after a while I get pretty good at it, but it's not perfect. If I wait a few hours or a day and pick up the bass again, miraculously I can now play that part better than I could the day before.

My brain has had time to re-wire itself. Hmm...maybe if I stop thinking for a few days that task may get better, too. That would really be miraculous.

maybe if I stop thinking for a few days that task may get better, too. That would really be miraculous.

if that were the case Kid, then politicians would all be newtons & einsteins!!

:-)

Perfect practice makes perfect.