Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Abercrombie & Fitch targets skinny shoppers,

DieChecker

I don't think she's been smug at all. She is one of the few to keep his/her head on this whole thing. The guy said some stupid stuff, but nothing was wrong with what he said. Maybe the company will suffer, we'll wait and see. LBA has done nothing but speak out about people's "mob" mentality.

Tis easy and cheap to accuse someone of mob mentality and being a bully because you don't like what they say or how they say it.

• Like 2

Tis easy and cheap to accuse someone of mob mentality and being a bully because you don't like what they say or how they say it.

'tis even easier to keep calling someone a 'she' even though it's already been pointed out that 'she' is in fact, a 'he'.

the facial-hair in 'her' profile pic should have been at least a little clue....

;-)

• Like 2

All stores traget groups. Hot topic goes after certain people, some stores target younger people some target older. Radio stations target diffrent groups. Tv channels target diffrent groups. Car advertisements target diffrent groups.

Your making a big deal out of nonething. Should we make laws forceing stores to sale all size cloths? no its dumb. All products try to produce a image around their product.

The store does not have signs up saying "fat people cant shop here", So no kid is picking up name calling from a store. They just choose to not sale that size

No disagreement here. A big deal is being made but there could be more to it. I specifically asked, "if what is being said here is that A&F shoppers are "elitist snobs"?

Maybe the question was not understood clearly but the response was unsatisfying.

It could be that the social media mob on twitter and tumblr are using comments made in 2006 as cover to simply hate on A&F shoppers. Plenty of middle and high schoolers hate on preps just as they will likely grow up to hate on Starbucks drinkers and BMW drivers.

You are right that some companies limit their product to create and sustain demand. The Birkin bag being the biggest example where entering a many years long waiting list is necessary for most. Such lucky ducks for those who have them.

I don't think she's been smug at all. She is one of the few to keep his/her head on this whole thing. The guy said some stupid stuff, but nothing was wrong with what he said. Maybe the company will suffer, we'll wait and see. LBA has done nothing but speak out about people's "mob" mentality.

Pretty much. The mob mentality is concerning.

Whenever speaking out against it those that cast stones will just cast them in your direction but it should always be spoken out against.

The "good people" of the village love burning witches.

Sure, sometimes the witch is "evil", the CEO did say some pretty dumb things in 2006, he has other ideas that do not leave much to desire, but even then their response is disproportionate and a bad example to impressionable minds.

Overall the mob mentality hurts innocents and for that reason alone the mob mentality cannot ever receive my approval.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!
  • Like 1

'tis even easier to keep calling someone a 'she' even though it's already been pointed out that 'she' is in fact, a 'he'.

the facial-hair in 'her' profile pic should have been at least a little clue....

;-)

I apologize to LBA for missing that they are a he. I usually don't put much stock into the profile pics. If I'm not mistaken LBA had a pic of a girl as that pic at one time.

I didn't hear anyone deny that this guy said stupid stuff. But he was being honest to what he believes.

• Like 1

~snip.

Overall the mob mentality hurts innocents and for that reason alone the mob mentality cannot ever receive my approval.

I apologise that I do not qualify to meet your standards of 'approval ..... '

644263_402243986540288_1336682726_n.jpg

• Like 2

I apologize to LBA for missing that they are a he. I usually don't put much stock into the profile pics. If I'm not mistaken LBA had a pic of a girl as that pic at one time.

I didn't hear anyone deny that this guy said stupid stuff. But he was being honest to what he believes.

No apologies necessary mate. Saw that and it did not bother me at all. Some focus too much on social gender anyhow.

And I spend about 90% of my posts on science and politics....

Are you saying that frivilous threads serve no purpose? I'd disagree. This thread has been tremendously interesting and entertaining.

Good for you. My OP wasn't directed toward you whatsoever.

You might want to use a dictionary to define frivolous; using frivolous and "serve no purpose" in the same sentence is like saying purposeless threads are purposeless. I've found this topic tremendously uninteresting and far from entertaining — boring, if you will. That's just my opinion, however.

Edited by Collateral Damage

Displaying confidence instead of hate

Jes Baker has tastefully approached this, with class which excluded righteous anger. Not many possess the confidence she displays. Confidence is an attractive trait. Hate is not.

Jes Baker is arguably the best thing to come out of Abercrombie & Fitch CEO Mike Jeffries making inflammatory comments about "uncool" overweight teens essentially being banned from wearing his clothing. Even though Jeffries apologized for his comment in recent days, Baker took the opportunity to write to the Abercrombie & Fitch CEO to tell him the world is evolving to be inclusive, instead of exclusive the way he markets his brand to be, while also including pictures of her modeling one of his shirts with a male model. So what's the big deal? Baker is one of those people Jeffries wants left out of the Abercrombie brand.

She began with a letter to the 68-year-old, where she addressed the harsh reality: There are plenty of people who feel the way he does. But Baker feels the complete opposite. In an exclusive interview with the International Business Times, the 26-year-old writer from Tuscon, Ariz., opened up about her Abercrombie & Fitch-inspired photo shoot, where she wore one of the company's T-shirts with "Attractive and Fat" displayed in the background.

Jes Baker Exploits The Silver Lining To Abercrombie & Fitch CEO Mike Jeffries' Fiery 'Uncool' Comments

Allison Epstein of The Body Pacifist wants to start an uber boycott that will hit A&F where it hurts, in sales, but she also seems to have the class and wisdom many are lacking.

In your responses, keep it civil and poised.

I’ve already seen too many responses accusing Mr. Jeffries of “not being attractive enough to work in his own store,” as if attacking his appearance were any less despicable than Abercrombie’s policy

of deciding what body types are acceptable to be seen and what aren’t. Let’s prove to the world that we don’t need to stoop to the level of the people we are trying to argue against. We can be outraged and reasonable at the same time. In fact, it’s a lot harder to cut us down when we’re being more well-spoken and polite than those we are criticizing.

There’s a better way to fight this problem than finger-pointing and name-calling, anyway.

Let’s see how dismissive Abercrombie & Fitch is of the average American woman when they take a closer look at their quarterly earnings and find a size-ten-and-up hole in their profit margin.

Abomination and Fitch: On Abercrombie and Body Type Exclusion

====================================================

The opposite reaction is displayed on this Buzzfeed article highlighting the hate which also extends to comparing him to Jocelyn Wildenstein who probably never said anything to arise the hatred of the massess but the mob mentality chooses to make fun of her too, to Rocky Dennis (from the movie MASK) showing others the example of hating those with diseases which are disfiguring, and even calling those who wear Ralph Lauren as ugly (should I be offended? Nah...).

Hate campaign makes fun of the homeless?

A comment on mashable shows how the "Fitch the homeless" campaign is not really helpful to the homeless.

klz7c.jpg

[link]

Whether Karber’s campaign to denigrate the A&F brand is motivated by true defense of the not-beautiful or by opportunism is irrelevant because the result is placing homeless individuals as the punch line of his satire. I would ask those who are aware of “Fitch the Homeless” to consider joining a new campaign: “Know our Homeless Neighbors.”

Karber’s film neither completely nor in a dignified way portrays homeless people. Homelessness is a painful problem. Homeless and precariously housed families and individuals are on the rise in our area. The results are challenges in effectively educating and raising children, followed by a self-perpetuating cycle of generational poverty and instability and people who become desperate enough to do nearly anything to obtain a place to stay.

‘Fitch the Homeless’ mocks the homeless

In order to combat this behaviour, Greg Karber, an L.A. writer went around, found all the second hand A&F clothing and gave them out to the homeless on Skid Row in L.A. He then encouraged people watching to go home, find their A&F clothing and give it out just as he had. This sounds noble, right? Who can argue with something that attacks a corporate giant, its exclusionary policies, and helps clothe the homeless people at the same time?

Of course when we really think about this though, there is something deeply troubling about this display of philanthropic behaviour.

For a start, it’s doing nothing to combat homelessness in society in any systematic manner. It’s just a small bandage for a chronic disease. But to be fair, that was not his goal in the video anyway, just perhaps a fortunate by-product. But herein lies the real issue; the deepest problem is that in this ad we are actually exploiting the poor, using them as a resource, to fight our essentially middle-class war. Because that is exactly what this is, this is the middle class re-enacting the fight against the school bully at school, taking part in make-believe Hollywood fight for meaning.

Fighting Abercrombie and Fitch?

Sales might not even suffer due to the hate campaign

Another comment on mashable shows how the brand might not even suffer just because of this.

97igp3.jpg

[link]

The hate campaign might also lead to sales being boosted.

The hate campaign and boycott may or may not boost the sales of the clothing company. What the haters are blurting out against the company as only for the “ thin and attractive cool guys” may be the very same thing that CEO Jeffries is trying to say. If there are more talks against or for the company, this would create a stir in the retail industry and in the end a jumpshot in the sales curve of the said clothing company.

Abercrombie & Fitch Amidst Blitz of Hate Campaign

We can't expect anyone's mind to change.

Those who hate will continue hating and find justification for it.

The social media mob on twitter and tumblr will continue even as it sets a bad example to our youth.

The mob mentality is part of the tribal "us versus them" narrative and the world is changing but at a slow pace which is fine since it is is changing and progress is not about speed but direction.

Those questioning the sincerity for opposing the mob mentality by dismissing it as "easy and cheap" or "smug moral superiority" have a right to their view but it does not seem an adequate response to these concerns.

Do some like what I am saying or how I am saying it?

Telling another they are "angrily posting", accusing me of having a "smug moral superiority", or insinuating "easy and cheap", would indicate no.

Still keep in mind that is not something I have done to anyone on this thread. I prefer to attack viewpoints and not fellow posters when I disagree. Not expecting an apology since I am not angry but it should at least be pointed out.

*Sigh* One more attempt at reason here.

Mr. Jeffries is not of an age or level of attractiveness to work in his own stores. This is simply a fact as shown by exactly who A&F hires. This is not some 'horrible attack', it is the policy that Mr. Jeffries himself has instituted. Does that make him guilty of prejudice against himself? Of course not, it's a marketing ploy to get the so-called "beautiful people" to pony up big bucks for A&F merchandise. It's a marketing ploy based on elitism and snobbery as evidenced by Mr. Jeffries own words.

Blowing this all out of proportion as being some kind of hate mongering is indeed "smug moral superiority". The CEO of A&F has certain policies of his own choosing and has made it quite clear by his own words where he's coming from. Other people are entitled not to like his form of marketing. I'm one of the ones who doesn't like Mr. Jeffries policies, I think such policies send the wrong message to young people.

Edited by Lilly
minor errors
  • Like 4

I did not insinuate easy and cheap, I came out and said it and stand by it. It is easy and cheap to call someone a bully or accuse them of a mob mentality when they do not agree with your particular view or respond in a manner you deem appropriate.

This is the final time that I will repost my position on this

I'm not conflicted about this at at all. As CEO, he can choose to market to whomever he wants. As consumers we can choose not to buy his distorted view by not buying his products. As consumers we can also call him out on discriminatory hiring policies and questionable and overt sexualization of kids. Hit him where it hurts, the bottom line.

Actually, you mistake my intent. I think an aggressive approach is perfectly in order. I think that consumers who disapprove of Mr. Jeffries marketing strategy should aggressively use the tools at their disposal to let their disapproval be known. Boycott A&F, use social media, write blogs, tell all my friends and ultimately spend my money elsewhere.

Edit to add:Mike Jeffries as CEO made those statements, it does not matter if it was in 2006 as he never retracted them. He has full responsibility for whatever comes out of his mouth

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons
  • Like 4

418974_200391156725573_1868832676_n.jpg

we knows it to be true ...

267679_412414912189862_393133322_n.jpg

we know too this to be true without a need for such a chart ....

Mike Jeffries CEO needs this chart tattoed on his forehead

• Like 1

I'm curious how this form of elitist marketing differs from other similar marketing ploys, such as, "Made in America."

I'm curious how this form of elitist marketing differs from other similar marketing ploys, such as, "Made in America."

you mistake elitist and elitist wanna be FRank .... there are quality products in the market that is market tested regrded as 'elitist'

rare but it does happen, usually luxury goods ... it doesn't peel at the masses much.

this is a case of a wannabe trying to pull the cotton wool over the eyes of people through polyester reams ...

that's why its not pretty , if the market agrees with him there would be no uproar anywhere ... not even a whimper

well maybe somewhere, there's always something somewhere.

this is on another level because of his constant tactics such as these to gain notoriety and claw back market share through low sales figures and high sum returns.

in the commercial and advertising community we regard this label here as the :

429913_197136200384402_1569579358_n.jpg

~edit : verb twist

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 2

Good for you. My OP wasn't directed toward you whatsoever.

You might want to use a dictionary to define frivolous; using frivolous and "serve no purpose" in the same sentence is like saying purposeless threads are purposeless. I've found this topic tremendously uninteresting and far from entertaining — boring, if you will. That's just my opinion, however.

Huh...

Because I always thought Frivolous meant not serious, which is different from Purposeless. Something can be not serious and yet have a purpose.

friv·o·lous - Adjective

1. Not having any serious purpose or value: "rules to stop frivolous lawsuits". (of a person)

2. Carefree and not serious.

http://www.merriam-w...onary/frivolous

Sorry that you have been reading a thread that is boring you to death. I suggest going and reading something else.

You may not have meant your post for me, but I thought any post was open to Reply.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

577694_584256378265180_1692835167_n.jpg

learn this before teaching that .... or anything else

and what we're advocating here is such ...

531562_564993053524846_1033805111_n.jpg

how is this bullying , I wonder ?

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 1

My only gripe was about this: Does anyone remember the urban legend about Tommy Hilfiger saying on the Oprah Show that his clothes was never intended for minorities to wear? Does anybody see this as hurtful? Discriminatory? Even though it was proven as an urban legend, the Tommy Hilfiger brand suffered some backlash for this as word went around. How is what the CEO of A&F said any different than what the urban legend about Tommy Hilfiger said? I even remember getting this email way back in the mid-90's, in fact...

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/tommyhilfiger/a/tommy_hilfiger.htm

What CEO Jeffries has stated from his own mouth, is that he is not simply selling clothes of a specific type/size. He is actively seeking to exclude specific groups from his products. And THAT is what is wrong with him.

Edited by DieChecker

What CEO Jeffries has stated from his own mouth, is that he is not simply selling clothes of a specific type/size. He is actively seeking to exclude specific groups from his products. And THAT is what is wrong with him.

he made of said it wrong, but they are not in business to exclude certain groups, they are trying to market to certain groups. Nothing wrong with the business strategy. It's wrong that he said it like he did.

• Like 1

A teen group in Chicago cancelled their protest of A&F after Jeffries apologize but are still deciding to rally for new issues, against bullying and for self-acceptance. They will also meet with A&F officials and try to get them on board. Good luck to them!!! Sounds like a good idea.

Last week, Jeffries issued a statement that while his 2006 comments were “taken out of context, I sincerely regret that my choice of words was interpreted in a manner that has caused offense.” He went on to defend his company’s policy of marketing to a particular segment of customers — calling A&F an “aspirational brand” — but added that the retailer is dedicated to “diversity and inclusion.”

In response, Linstrom and her fellow organizers canceled protests scheduled for Wednesday in Columbus. Instead, she said that she and other protesters were scheduled to meet with A&F executives there that same day.

Linstrom said, “We want to set up an anti-bullying campaign, and I could possibly be a spokesperson, and go around to high schools and middle schools and maybe even elementary schools and preach self-acceptance and self-love.

We’ve had assemblies about anti-bullying and treating people the way you want to be treated, but the core root of bullying is someone feeling bad about themselves and having to put someone else down to make themselves feel better,” she said.

Linstrom said she hopes A&F will support a campaign like this.

Fitch, Please! Teen Reporters Sound Off On Abercrombie & Fitch Controversy

tumblr_mnmbmrpDz91qi85ibo1_500.jpg
  • Like 3

That's funny...

It is and yet so perfect. I posted it on my tumblr blog. I had to share it here.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've never liked A&F's clothes. I'm not "fat". They're just douchey looking! There was a phase when my friends only shopped religiously at Hollister and A&F. I never got the appeal, plus it was a little to expensive for me as a kid. I love clothes, but their clothes were all the same and I still don't like them. But it's clear when you walk in there that that's who they're marketing. Their clothes are tiny.

I can also smell those damn stores from a mile away--and it makes me want to run, not enter.