Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can humanity afford a real life Star Trek ?

Saru

It might happen if we release ourselves of selfish needs by altering our parameters.

Wow, can anybody here speak clingon? Uknak surak!

I'm ok with this whole idea as long as its design is based on the next gen enterprise..it's a much more sporty model and on the original it made lots of strange beeping sounds..oh and 7 of 9 must also come to.

Infact let's forget the idea of enterprise and just make her..lol

Edited by Irrelevant

As for our generation that grew up watching Star Trek,we all dreamt about being out there exploring space.Now,as we have approached an age group where we no longer believe this is possible,we have come to accept that 'it is not possible'. When we face the reality of a financial budget etc,that even the whole world could not afford,we do our math & understand.None of us live in a world where we are all prospering to the point that the whole world has the finances to bring such a venture to fruition! It has been a fantasy that none of us can see could possibly be a reality.Sadly enough,I humbly say that,man can not go forth exploring the universe.We stay here,comfortably on our Earthly domain,not knowing how to defy gravity,travel at light speed to distant galaxies etc.Sorry to burst your bubble but simply put,we have to remain safely on earth where she keeps us safe within our gravity force,our ocean of H2O,oxygen & nitrogen & a safely balanced environment for the human body to survive.

Edited by GirlfromOz

That's the problem the quick buck artist that run this world make more money out of war and drug profiteering. And they don't what their slaves the rest of us escaping from them. As Dark_Grey pointed out if we hadn't wasted all that money on all the stupid wars since 1914 we could have afforded to explore the galaxy. The greed heads don't care so long as they have money to burn.

That's the problem here. The warp ship was built to make zafrim rich. As for no money in the future, that only happened in star fleet on star fleet property. Don't forget the frarengie. Also, in the first episode the doc. Buys some frabric and told the merchant to charge it to her on the entreprise. So the only place you didn't need money were ships, bases, and maybe earth. Although, they may have been using credit instead of money.

As for our generation that grew up watching Star Trek,we all dreamt about being out there exploring space.Now,as we have approached an age group where we no longer believe this is possible,we have come to accept that 'it is not possible'. When we face the reality of a financial budget etc,that even the whole world could not afford,we do our math & understand.None of us live in a world where we are all prospering to the point that the whole world has the finances to bring such a venture to fruition! It has been a fantasy that none of us can see could possibly be a reality.Sadly enough,I humbly say that,man can not go forth exploring the universe.We stay here,comfortably on our Earthly domain,not knowing how to defy gravity,travel at light speed to distant galaxies etc.Sorry to burst your bubble but simply put,we have to remain safely on earth where she keeps us safe within our gravity force,our ocean of H2O,oxygen & nitrogen & a safely balanced environment for the human body to survive.

I would like to think its very much possible.

Its just not possible as long as we continue to waste our resources on people who dont deserve it and on wasteful projects and studies.

If we struck the budget of ALL pork and waste we could build a starship in less than 10 years.

God only knows what kind of tech they are using right now, keep in mind the SR-71 was flying in the 50's and we didnt hear about it until the 80's.

We desperately need to start expanding our horizons and we need to do it fast before we deplete our natural resources due to over population.

You cant keep prolonging the human life span without expanding beyond the planet or we will all suffer.

78,000 people volunteered for a one way trip to Mars to start a colony.

We need to make this happen and very soon.

The First Contact took place on the evening of April 5, 2063, when a Vulcan survey ship, the T'Plana-Hath, having detected the warp signature of the Phoenix, touched down in Bozeman, central Montana, where they met with the Phoenix's designer and pilot, Zefram Cochrane.

http://en.memory-alp...i/First_contact

Thanks for the dates.

So this means we need the Eugenics war and WWW3 pretty quickly if we're going to make this happen. Human stem cells a few days ago. Khan won't be too far away.

We are going backwards, the meek ( low wage low educated, government dependent ) are inheriting the world, there will be no money for space advancements. Look at NASA most of their budget is gone, the federal government needed it to pay for entitlement programs.

Private industry is not going to do much either as they are in business to make a profit but if no one can afford whatever their investment in space travel brings they won't invest.

Forward to the final frontier, no.

Backward to the middle ages, yes.

Does this mean the Bible is RIGHT? The meek will inherit the Earth. The Bible didn't say the Earth would be worth anything, just that they'd inherit it.

• Like 3

That's the problem here. The warp ship was built to make zafrim rich. As for no money in the future, that only happened in star fleet on star fleet property. Don't forget the frarengie. Also, in the first episode the doc. Buys some frabric and told the merchant to charge it to her on the entreprise. So the only place you didn't need money were ships, bases, and maybe earth. Although, they may have been using credit instead of money.

Good point! But remember that was a planet that want Federation membership, so perhaps the monetary system is one of the first thinkg worked out. Remember Kirk said the Enterprise can manufacture all the jewels it wanted, so they were worthless to him. But not to other people. So how did the Federation pay for items they bought when they weren't on the ship? Anyone know?

yes they can but first humanity must grow spiritually and be more than mature to handle such technology.anything is possible

• Like 1

See ! problem solved ! Just wait until the Vulcans come to save us and Were off to See the Wizard ! I knew youz guys were holding back on the Great News !

Now As I really see it ! Were Toast we have already Killed ourselfs,at least the last generation that will inherit our mess !

No way there going to fix what we have done !

Down and Grey you say? No just Look at us like the Unicorn ! DO you see any of them around ?

How about kids learning how to builf warp drive ships?

Maybe If we work really hard growing up and stop the Killing of almost ever creatur on this rock we could just squeek by.But Pray for those Kilngons,or Vulcans,or even Marvin,I here he`s been kept out in the Desert Area51 somewhere!

Well thats just about it for this non-reality thread ! We for sure all will be gone If we ever get to a Star Ship that has Warp speed ! But like everything ,It could Happen ! :alien:

The top 1% might (Billionaires now, Trillionaires in 50 years), as for the 99%, we are going to live and die on this planet, looking and dreaming at the stars.

Edited by Scuzzy

See ! problem solved ! Just wait until the Vulcans come to save us and Were off to See the Wizard ! I knew youz guys were holding back on the Great News !

Now As I really see it ! Were Toast we have already Killed ourselfs,at least the last generation that will inherit our mess !

No way there going to fix what we have done !

Down and Grey you say? No just Look at us like the Unicorn ! DO you see any of them around ?

How about kids learning how to builf warp drive ships?

Maybe If we work really hard growing up and stop the Killing of almost ever creatur on this rock we could just squeek by.But Pray for those Kilngons,or Vulcans,or even Marvin,I here he`s been kept out in the Desert Area51 somewhere!

Well thats just about it for this non-reality thread ! We for sure all will be gone If we ever get to a Star Ship that has Warp speed ! But like everything ,It could Happen ! :alien:

The unicorn is still round. We call it the nor whale.

The top 1% might (Billionaires now, Trillionaires in 50 years), as for the 99%, we are going to live and die on this planet, looking and dreaming at the stars.

Their going to need servants.

• Like 1

I think its in the realm of possibility. I was watching the History Channels new Documentary on "Star Trek: Into Darkness" and alot of the tech isn't to much of a farcry away. I think a ship such as the enterprise could be built now, but the ultimate propulsion tech/ Engine systems might not be ready for a full voyage till about 2075. Thats also after alot of trial and "error".

• Like 1

I think its in the realm of possibility. I was watching the History Channels new Documentary on "Star Trek: Into Darkness" and alot of the tech but the ultimate propulsion tech/ Engine systems might not be ready for a full voyage till about 2075. Thats also after alot of trial and "error".

How can you give a date on the development of a technology when no one even knows if it is possible?

Whilst there are people in organisations such as NASA that are working to see of it is possible to build some form of warp drive success is far from guaranteed. Even if it is possible it is impossible to predict how long it would take to produce a workable prototype and that is before we start to produce a viable operational system.

Can we afford it? We won't know until we find out if it is even possible.

• Like 1

The ship types I think we will need. Passenger, cargo, mining, research. As I said we make a modular ship, those would be the moduls. The base ship ould have an engine, maybe ion and the command section.

How can you give a date on the development of a technology when no one even knows if it is possible?

Whilst there are people in organisations such as NASA that are working to see of it is possible to build some form of warp drive success is far from guaranteed. Even if it is possible it is impossible to predict how long it would take to produce a workable prototype and that is before we start to produce a viable operational system.

Can we afford it? We won't know until we find out if it is even possible.

Woah now haha. It was just a guesstimate ;). and its about 62 years away, so I figured since how far we've come in tech the last 62 years, this could actually prove to be alot more than we can imagine. I mean, in the last ten years we've come further than anyone ever thought we could :). Plus I don't think money will really exist by then. It will happen evuentually.

• Like 1

Good point! But remember that was a planet that want Federation membership, so perhaps the monetary system is one of the first thinkg worked out. Remember Kirk said the Enterprise can manufacture all the jewels it wanted, so they were worthless to him. But not to other people. So how did the Federation pay for items they bought when they weren't on the ship? Anyone know?

I think the Federation did direct Barter with other civilizations. Traded goods for goods, with no currency actually exchanged. I'm not sure how "Value" would be assigned.

I think the Federation did direct Barter with other civilizations. Traded goods for goods, with no currency actually exchanged. I'm not sure how "Value" would be assigned.

The same way price is applied, demand and availability.

I didn't read the entire article, so forgive me if this was covered, but in Gene Roddenberry's universe, humankind evolved past the need for material posessions, and money became a thing of the past. As long as we continue to wring every penny of profit out of every possible source, and put low priority on empirical pursuits like exploring space, we'll stay firmly planted on this rock we call Earth. Hopefully more enlightened countries in a more enlightened future will realize space exploration is vital to our survival as a species, and invent the real world Enterprise. Warp speed ahead, and be wary of the Borg!

Because our money matters in the intergalactic stage... Oh no, lets focus on other things, such as give those billions of dollars to charities which barely distribute them.

• Like 2

You have to look at charities, most of them, provide jobs for people who have families. But, your correct the good charites only get up to 20% to where it is supposed to go. The national companies are the worse ones, except for the rip offs.

The question should be Can Mankind Not afford it ?

• Like 1

Sure. We can afford not to move up into space... We'll just eventually face extinction.