Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

British soldiers having hand guns off duty

Random11

Following yesterday's horrible and disgusting attack I think it is about time our government allows British armed forces personnel to carry hand guns while off duty. Who else agrees?

I can make a list of members for you who will disagree, if you want.

• Like 3

Hell no.

Only if civilians are allowed to have hand guns as well.

Not being funny, but I certainly don't trust all soldiers not to abuse that. I can't even believe they allow my mate to fly a helicopter in the British army, never mind give him a gun. lol He was an ass throughout school and never changed. He's such an ass that he knows I call him an ass and doesn't even deny being an ass. He would never harm someone but I've seen him use a crossbow and I've seen him drive. He's dangerous regardless of his harmlessness. lol

Seriously though who will protect civilians form the bad soldiers?

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 2

Following yesterday's horrible and disgusting attack I think it is about time our government allows British armed forces personnel to carry hand guns while off duty. Who else agrees?

As long as civilians can have them too.

Didn't they run into him with a car? A gun wouldn't have stopped this.

I have no problem with serving military being armed - but I just think there is absolutely no point in doing so, attacks like yesterday are rare, so rare i'd struggle to name any other instance of this in my lifetime...

Not the public though - I wouldn't trust most of them with a catapult let alone anything else.

• Like 3

there could be a case made, but i think it might be better to have more fast response armed police. we'll find in the coming days the unarmed police who could have been at the scene within 5 minutes was held back until armed police could arrive. taking anywhere from 10 minutes to the 20 minutes which is being reported to arrive - just imagine if these two would have went on a murder spree. many people would have lost their lives. we have to face the facts the society of the UK has changed. and the police also have to change. the days of the baton / truncheon are over. if the current crop of police dont want to change - get rid and recruit ones who do.

Didn't they run into him with a car? A gun wouldn't have stopped this.

A British citizen with a gun could of stopped them killing him.
  • Like 2

there could be a case made, but i think it might be better to have more fast response armed police. we'll find in the coming days the unarmed police who could have been at the scene within 5 minutes was held back until armed police could arrive. taking anywhere from 10 minutes to the 20 minutes which is being reported to arrive - just imagine if these two would have went on a murder spree. many people would have lost their lives. we have to face the facts the society of the UK has changed. and the police also have to change. the days of the baton / truncheon are over. if the current crop of police dont want to change - get rid and recruit ones who do.

In all likelihood the guy would of been dead before the cops got there even if they had of been armed. I have to agree they should be. I also think since soldiers are at risk they should be armed as well.

In all likelihood the guy would of been dead before the cops got there even if they had of been armed. I have to agree they should be. I also think since soldiers are at risk they should be armed as well.

Anyone can be at risk so why not give everyone guns?

• Like 1

While I am opposed to gun bans (in general) and deeply sorry for the family of this man... If the population at large is not allowed to have firearms, then the military (off duty) should not either (nor should off duty police)...

The general population should enjoy the same basic privileges as the (off duty) military/police...

• Like 1

Last time a black guy was shot in London, all hell broke out, and it was a Police man that shot him. We hade several weeks of carnage in several cities around England.

• Like 1

Last time a black guy was shot in London, all hell broke out, and it was a Police man that shot him. We hade several weeks of carnage in several cities around England.

Did they have good reason to shoot him? If so he should of been shot and so should the rioters.
  • Like 1

Did they have good reason to shoot him? If so he should of been shot and so should the rioters.

No, they didn't. They shot him then told numerous lies about what actually happened. Claimed he had shot at police, then it turned out it was the police who shot at the police (accidentally of course lol).

I doubt he even had a gun. Seemed more like they had to drop one somewhere on the scene.

• Like 2

And possibly also have accidently shot some of the other people in the street. Please remember that a bullet doesn't always - unless designed to - get stopped by a body, but can pass through.

Problem with arming the military full time is another one of those things the general population wouldn't like. Sounds mad, aye, but knowing just how some squaddies behave out of barracks, I would be very worried that we'd get some numpty who'd be stupid enough to let off a round or two and not consider just where the bullet would end up. Like in a ceiling, wall, passing civvie... In this regard, more armed police would be the better solution. But that takes us back to when the deployment of such officers goes wrong, it goes badly wrong. We are damned if we do, and basically screwed if we don't.

Edited by Shayde
  • Like 1

I'm afraid people will be killed no matter what you do. It's life I guess. The thing is people need to be held accountable for their actions even if they are cops.