Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

At risk of sounding crazy... Here is my story

mr3rdrock

So, I have had experiences since I was young. It started back when I was ten with the random noises and bumps in the night. Okay our house is 140 years old this year, so they are bound to have creaks and noises. Not worrying.

Then a few years ago its my Mom's birthday, I bought her a hellium filled foil balloon with the weight attached. There's no windows open and I'm sitting at my computer which was located next to my dog's crate when he was still using one. Its 3 A.M. and all of a sudden he wakes up from a dead sleep standing on all fours with his hair on edge. He starts barking into the next room and I see the baloon scuttling acrossed the floor into another adjacent room at a fast speed. He starts barking and I get up to investigate only to find nothing. No windows open and no source of windflow, especially the kind of windflow it would take to move it at that speed. I pass it off as nothing, maybe I'm imagining things I'm tired and I could just have imagined it.

Another week goes by and I'm very strict in the practice of locking my doors at night before I head upstairs. Its about 2 A.M. and I check the doors make sure they are all locked then head up stairs to use the bathroom and go to bed. I finish with the bathroom then I hear my dog rattling around in his crate, when I went upstairs he was, again, in a dead sleep. So I go downstairs to see what's up and two doors are unlocked with one being ajar. I check the screen door and it is locked. I'm freaking out now, never have I been so careless as to not lock the doors yet alone keep one open, esepcially so late at night. There's no signs of intruders so I calm my dog down and take him upstairs with me as he seemed freaked out.

Pass by a few years with very little activiety. Nothing very abnormal like those two occurances. I get hired back into my job after leaving for seven months on the overnight shift at the local grocery store. Usually starting at midnight and I get out at about 8:30. On night we start hearing random noises and weird occurances. Stools being scrapped along the floor in an aisle with no one in it. People start telling me about weird stuff going on that didn't start until I hired back in. Stuff from the doors acting up to the belt on the meat department saws turning on in between temperature checks. Doors popping open with no one around. A lot of it happens when there are only two people in the store and we usually work side by side so its not like one person walks off and screws with the other person.

I make this thread to ask if it would be a good idea to dig into this deeper, I'm not one to usually do that, but at this point I'm very curious in finding out if I'm on the verge of a major paranormal experience or if I need to be commited.

What advice do you have for someone without much knowledge in the field to start investigating deeper into my dilemma? I'm not asking you to believe my story or not, as I have no evidence to offer but lets say you do believe me, or at least believe I'm having these experiences with few explanations, how would you advise I move forward? Considering with most experiences I have exhausted the usual reasons.

Thanks for any advice.

You have a very interesting experience here. It doesn't sound like a spirit whos malevolent, but it does sound attached. I would first look into the history of your house and start from there. You could see if whatever or whoever is attached could just be trying to send you a message, or just trying to say hello.

I would have kept that to my self.

Put me in a straight jacket, D.

• Like 1

I don't really think anything you've said can't be explained rationally.

WTH is it with the balloons lately?

• Like 2

Actually that other thread with the balloon is what reminded me to tell my story on here.

Maybe it all could be explained rationally, but a lot of what could be explained rationally seems like it would be gripping at straws. That is from my perspective, instead of reading it online from someone with zero credibility. For example, assuming one believes my story, the doors being unlocked and one ajar. I would have heard someone else getting up and walking downstairs, in my house you can hear every noise in the dead of night. I checked them before I went upstairs. Unless my dog grew apposable thumbs and decided to mess with me I don't have an answer for that one.

I'm honestly open to any ideas.

Actually that other thread with the balloon is what reminded me to tell my story on here.

Maybe it all could be explained rationally, but a lot of what could be explained rationally seems like it would be gripping at straws. That is from my perspective, instead of reading it online from someone with zero credibility. For example, assuming one believes my story, the doors being unlocked and one ajar. I would have heard someone else getting up and walking downstairs, in my house you can hear every noise in the dead of night. I checked them before I went upstairs. Unless my dog grew apposable thumbs and decided to mess with me I don't have an answer for that one.

Well, you just forgot to lock them. Or you entered a fugue state and unlocked them and don't remember it? Or they were barely shut and not locked and the dog knocked them open. Or the door jam swelled and the door popped open? Someone else opened them? Tons of logical but not improbable possibilities.

you should of keep that remark to yourself, but hey with a name like that , it would be impossible hey, specifically with this topic heading.

I have a question to the OP,

Do you trust yourself, do your gut feelings often lead you astray?

You should investigate, I would , but I trust myself completely.

• Like 2

Okay I have an interest in the paranormal but I do not necessarily believe in it, this is a very interesting story and I struggle to think of a normal explanation, I would definitely look into it. Helium balloons often move by them self but rarely straight across at a good speed. When I say investigate it I don't mean radars, sound recording and ouija boards. Perhaps, although it may sound like I am trying to set up a horror film maybe you could set up a camera (not to record apparitions but to record what is really happening), try and set up a balloon like it was when it moved but also set up a camera. In a house so old I wouldn't be surprised if it was a strong draught.

-Sean

Put me in a straight jacket, D.

Glad to see you have a decent sense of humor. :tu:

What kind of heat is in your house? Forced air or radiant?

The best advice that I can give would be to document it as close to when it happens as possible doing the standard; who, what, when (date and time) and where. It may help you to see if there is a pattern to it when you're tired or distracted by other things. Also it will help you to understand if there were stresses in your life at the times. If you feel that it may be stress related then it may be your subconscious alerting you to tend the 'real life' issue. Then if a pattern emerges of when you could consider a video camera to document the activity.

*said very creepy like Vincent Price* We all float down here Ethel. Yes..... we all float!

(giggles and runs)

Mabon.

• Like 1

I know how you feel in that little fight inside wondering if what is happening can be rationalized or not. I've had similar occurrences in my car. I would, on multiple occasions near each other in time, leave my car for some period of time, and come back to turn it on to see my wipers on, in the dry sunlight. After getting spooked of this happening multiple times, I thought I could have done it by mistake, even though trying to do it on purpose, I couldn't see how I did this multiple times by accident, when I never have never done this before, without manipulating the console in a way that isn't normal with my hands/arms, and not without realizing I bumped the hard to miss lever, and making it *click*. But I let that go, not wanting to feel crazy.

Also, I like to leave the top seat belt of my driver's seat out of its locking thing on the top of the seat. Though a bit less secure, it's much more comfortable for me, and less tight. But again, on multiple occasions I would leave my car, to come back and find the seat belt locked back into its holder thing attached to the seat. Now leaving my car and coming back to find this event in vice versa would be easier to understand. It is easier to get the seat belt out of its position in that little holder than in. There is a thin little slot that you have to reposition the belt through to get it in and out. The position when it's in is easier to coerce into letting free. It is very difficult to get it back in without feeding it carefully into the little thin slot, positioning it a certain way with your hand. Yet at least 3 times I would leave my car to find it back in its safe little holder. I figured itprobably isn't impossible for this to happen naturally, though it would be quite a seat belt acrobatic trick. I again let it go because I don't want others to think I'm crazy! What would they think of me thinking it was anything other than multiple flukes?

But then very early yesterday morning I got in my car to go to work, stopped at a gas station to get an energy drink, and when I got back right about to get in my car, I saw a tea bag on my driver's seat. I had some of these sitting on my floor and passenger seat, as I had left them there, but as to how it got on my seat under where my rear end sits, from the point of me getting into my car in the morning and it not being there, to me getting out and coming back to see it sitting there, I really don't understand.

I think Mabon has great advice in having you try to document as much as you can of these events. If anything, you might be able to pick up things you normally would have not paid attention to that may explain in more mundane ways what you think is unexplainable. Maybe these more mundane things exist in my situations, too. Or maybe

edit: I honestly don't know what that last "Or maybe" was leading to, lol. But I'll leave it in because it is mysterious..........

Edited by _Only

It's pretty clear that you would. Fear of ridicule or embarrassment in relaying personal events that one thinks could possibly be less than normal is common in those who ridicule and embarrass others for relaying personal events they think could possibly less than normal.

If only we could all whistle down the street, not worrying if we are good enough for the others to see or hear.

• Like 1

Okay I have an interest in the paranormal but I do not necessarily believe in it, this is a very interesting story and I struggle to think of a normal explanation, I would definitely look into it. Helium balloons often move by them self but rarely straight across at a good speed. When I say investigate it I don't mean radars, sound recording and ouija boards. Perhaps, although it may sound like I am trying to set up a horror film maybe you could set up a camera (not to record apparitions but to record what is really happening), try and set up a balloon like it was when it moved but also set up a camera. In a house so old I wouldn't be surprised if it was a strong draught.

-Sean

That's a good idea, and I've been looking into a camera system I can set up when everyone is gone or at night when I'm at work. I know the rest of the people in my house wouldn't feel comfortable constantly being filmed during the day, but at night or when no one is home they wouldn't have a problem with it.

The best advice that I can give would be to document it as close to when it happens as possible doing the standard; who, what, when (date and time) and where. It may help you to see if there is a pattern to it when you're tired or distracted by other things. Also it will help you to understand if there were stresses in your life at the times. If you feel that it may be stress related then it may be your subconscious alerting you to tend the 'real life' issue. Then if a pattern emerges of when you could consider a video camera to document the activity.

I've thought about the stress thing throughouly and the funny part is it usually picks up after I'm over the hill as far as stressful parts of life goes. It could very well be my subconscious shouting at me that maybe I'm not as over bad situations as I think. The only time my subconscious doesn't explain it is when multpile people share the same story, or hear and see the same things. I'm no expert on the subconscious mind though, so I should probably talk to an expert and find out what all the conscious mind can do to a person who is at the end of a bad period in life.

I know how you feel in that little fight inside wondering if what is happening can be rationalized or not. I've had similar occurrences in my car. I would, on multiple occasions near each other in time, leave my car for some period of time, and come back to turn it on to see my wipers on, in the dry sunlight. After getting spooked of this happening multiple times, I thought I could have done it by mistake, even though trying to do it on purpose, I couldn't see how I did this multiple times by accident, when I never have never done this before, without manipulating the console in a way that isn't normal with my hands/arms, and not without realizing I bumped the hard to miss lever, and making it *click*. But I let that go, not wanting to feel crazy.

Also, I like to leave the top seat belt of my driver's seat out of its locking thing on the top of the seat. Though a bit less secure, it's much more comfortable for me, and less tight. But again, on multiple occasions I would leave my car, to come back and find the seat belt locked back into its holder thing attached to the seat. Now leaving my car and coming back to find this event in vice versa would be easier to understand. It is easier to get the seat belt out of its position in that little holder than in. There is a thin little slot that you have to reposition the belt through to get it in and out. The position when it's in is easier to coerce into letting free. It is very difficult to get it back in without feeding it carefully into the little thin slot, positioning it a certain way with your hand. Yet at least 3 times I would leave my car to find it back in its safe little holder. I figured itprobably isn't impossible for this to happen naturally, though it would be quite a seat belt acrobatic trick. I again let it go because I don't want others to think I'm crazy! What would they think of me thinking it was anything other than multiple flukes?

But then very early yesterday morning I got in my car to go to work, stopped at a gas station to get an energy drink, and when I got back right about to get in my car, I saw a tea bag on my driver's seat. I had some of these sitting on my floor and passenger seat, as I had left them there, but as to how it got on my seat under where my rear end sits, from the point of me getting into my car in the morning and it not being there, to me getting out and coming back to see it sitting there, I really don't understand.

I think Mabon has great advice in having you try to document as much as you can of these events. If anything, you might be able to pick up things you normally would have not paid attention to that may explain in more mundane ways what you think is unexplainable. Maybe these more mundane things exist in my situations, too. Or maybe

edit: I honestly don't know what that last "Or maybe" was leading to, lol. But I'll leave it in because it is mysterious..........

That's pretty creepy. The only thing I could ask for this situation is do you let anybody else drive your car? I'll let you know how the camera thing works, maybe you could set one up in your car when you're gone, like a dash cam thats turned around to face inside of your car.

That's a good idea, and I've been looking into a camera system I can set up when everyone is gone or at night when I'm at work. I know the rest of the people in my house wouldn't feel comfortable constantly being filmed during the day, but at night or when no one is home they wouldn't have a problem with it.

Okay, keep us updated as to what it is!

-Sean

So, I have had experiences since I was young. It started back when I was ten with the random noises and bumps in the night. Okay our house is 140 years old this year, so they are bound to have creaks and noises. Not worrying.

Then a few years ago its my Mom's birthday, I bought her a hellium filled foil balloon with the weight attached. There's no windows open and I'm sitting at my computer which was located next to my dog's crate when he was still using one. Its 3 A.M. and all of a sudden he wakes up from a dead sleep standing on all fours with his hair on edge. He starts barking into the next room and I see the baloon scuttling acrossed the floor into another adjacent room at a fast speed. He starts barking and I get up to investigate only to find nothing. No windows open and no source of windflow, especially the kind of windflow it would take to move it at that speed. I pass it off as nothing, maybe I'm imagining things I'm tired and I could just have imagined it.

Another week goes by and I'm very strict in the practice of locking my doors at night before I head upstairs. Its about 2 A.M. and I check the doors make sure they are all locked then head up stairs to use the bathroom and go to bed. I finish with the bathroom then I hear my dog rattling around in his crate, when I went upstairs he was, again, in a dead sleep. So I go downstairs to see what's up and two doors are unlocked with one being ajar. I check the screen door and it is locked. I'm freaking out now, never have I been so careless as to not lock the doors yet alone keep one open, esepcially so late at night. There's no signs of intruders so I calm my dog down and take him upstairs with me as he seemed freaked out.

Pass by a few years with very little activiety. Nothing very abnormal like those two occurances. I get hired back into my job after leaving for seven months on the overnight shift at the local grocery store. Usually starting at midnight and I get out at about 8:30. On night we start hearing random noises and weird occurances. Stools being scrapped along the floor in an aisle with no one in it. People start telling me about weird stuff going on that didn't start until I hired back in. Stuff from the doors acting up to the belt on the meat department saws turning on in between temperature checks. Doors popping open with no one around. A lot of it happens when there are only two people in the store and we usually work side by side so its not like one person walks off and screws with the other person.

I make this thread to ask if it would be a good idea to dig into this deeper, I'm not one to usually do that, but at this point I'm very curious in finding out if I'm on the verge of a major paranormal experience or if I need to be commited.

What advice do you have for someone without much knowledge in the field to start investigating deeper into my dilemma? I'm not asking you to believe my story or not, as I have no evidence to offer but lets say you do believe me, or at least believe I'm having these experiences with few explanations, how would you advise I move forward? Considering with most experiences I have exhausted the usual reasons.

Thanks for any advice.

At the risk of sounding crazy, what's the state of your kitchen floor before, during & after these events?

Are you putting the cameras up tonight?

No, I have to go out and by some, so after my next pay day I'll run out to best buy or somewhere and get them. I'm thinking two cameras in one room, one from my vantage point when it first happened, and one in the room the balloon scuttered into looking out into the next room.

I'll probably set it up over the course of a few days to a week, if nothing happens in that time period I think I need to try something else or see a psychologist.

Edited by mr3rdrock
  • Like 1

No, I have to go out and by some, so after my next pay day I'll run out to best buy or somewhere and get them. I'm thinking two cameras in one room, one from my vantage point when it first happened, and one in the room the balloon scuttered into looking out into the next room.

I'll probably set it up over the course of a few days to a week, if nothing happens in that time period I think I need to try something else or see a psychologist.

Haha good plan, keep us posted. I have bookmarked the thread.

I have to say,ive never had a car haunting.

Most interesting .

_Only: You could have sat on that teabag and had it stuck to your backside until it finally fell off in the seat of your car. :) Just giving one explanation that might ease your mind a bit and makes me giggle. I hate it when I have something stuck to my posterior or lipstick on my tooth and no one tells me. I assume the latter has never happened to you tho.

Anyway I think the cameras are a good idea.

I have an example too. I have bad OCD about some things and my bed sheets are one of them. I was getting into be the other night behind my fiance or whatever and I noticed the sheet was upside down. As in the top was where it was supposed to be, but it just was not right side up. I had changed them 3 days ago and he swore he hadn't pulled all the covers off and put them back on because he frankly could sleep with them inside out and sideways. So I had put that sheet wrong way round and I NEVER do that because of my OCD. The bedspread's tag has to be in a certain place, etc, but I had put the sheet on wrong and due to exhaustion and stress not noticed it for 3 days.

He griped when I had to strip the bed and fix it. Huh, men.

• Like 1

“Vision is the art of seeing things what is invisible to others”

Jonathan Swift

Keeping this to yourself will make you go crazy.... Scientists are discovering there may be more to death and ESP than meets the naked eye.