Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Termites swarm in New Orleans

Still Waters

New Orleans was struck by tens of thousands of swarming Formosan termites on Wednesday night causing hundreds of thousands of people's skin to crawl.

Resembling something out of a creepy disaster movie, the termites made for any car headlights, streetlights or lit homes they could find in residential or commercial areas.

http://www.dailymail...-The-South.html

• Like 1

Eewwww...

Agreed..

• Like 2

ugh... this happens where I'm at for a couple of days a year. Seems like they pick the hottest nights to come out and when they do it literally looks like a snow storm. They flock to the street lights or any lights so homes usually go dark except for the tvs and computers and candles... lol Bug spray does not help at that point so we put candles in tins of water and they either fry or drown.

I like to catch em alive and feed them to my fish and red ear slider when I had one. He loved this time of year, all you can eat buffet of termites.

• Like 2

Now, if only the "crazy" ants and fire ants would descend upon and eradicate the termites ... or, should it be the other way around?

• Like 1

Never was around a termite "swarm", but when I was a kid living in south Florida, I recall being home alone watching "Creature Feature" with the lights out.

Heard this faint buzzing noise, turned on the living room light, and all of a sudden hundreds of flying cockroaches were in the air.

Scared the crap out of me and I ran out of the house. Of course, I left the light on.

When I returned inside, I could not see a single one... I guess they scurried away into the nooks and cranies of our older house.

This was the second house I lived in in Florida that was eventually "tent-fumigated"

Oh yeah, I actually did finish watching "Creature Feature"(it was a Saturday night horror series back in the day) but kept the light on to keep those cockroaches away from me.

In my experience, such cockroaches are fine with light, but light AND humans scare them I guess.

Anyway, sorry for my rambling. I guess termites can be very destructive to wood in houses. THAT i've seen... the curved holes in wood eaten by termites. Weakens the wood considerably, as one could imagine. Cockroaches are known to be disease carriers; I assume the same with termites and other such critters, but not sure.

• Like 1

Never was around a termite "swarm", but when I was a kid living in south Florida, I recall being home alone watching "Creature Feature" with the lights out.

Heard this faint buzzing noise, turned on the living room light, and all of a sudden hundreds of flying cockroaches were in the air.

Scared the crap out of me and I ran out of the house. Of course, I left the light on.

When I returned inside, I could not see a single one... I guess they scurried away into the nooks and cranies of our older house.

This was the second house I lived in in Florida that was eventually "tent-fumigated"

Oh yeah, I actually did finish watching "Creature Feature"(it was a Saturday night horror series back in the day) but kept the light on to keep those cockroaches away from me.

In my experience, such cockroaches are fine with light, but light AND humans scare them I guess.

Anyway, sorry for my rambling. I guess termites can be very destructive to wood in houses. THAT i've seen... the curved holes in wood eaten by termites. Weakens the wood considerably, as one could imagine. Cockroaches are known to be disease carriers; I assume the same with termites and other such critters, but not sure.

Omg... that is every nightmare rolled into one horrific phobia. I hate them. :::shiver:::

If you see flocks of swallows or Purple Martins circling about you can often locate a nearby termite swarm. Termites, the plankton of the sky!

Just the other night we had a sudden invasion of these. It's hilarious to see hundreds of them crawling and flying everywhere in the house.

Clear the swarm with water, then poison the mounds - all will be fine.

We have a similar thing happen here with Bogon Moths they gather in huge swarms at a certain time of the year in the mountains and in Canberra the capital city, the indigenous people used to eat them as a source vitimins

Those things loveee rotting wood. My father made a walkway border out of old railroad spikes and those things swarmed all over it, making nests and what have you.

Spraying them with bleach and other pest killers seems to help. We only have problems with them once in a while.

Terrible creatures.. It only makes sense that they choose New Orleans. :no:

Termites are so annoying especially during swarm season but I must admit that seeing their iridescent wings floating in lamp light at night is eerily, surreal and beautiful.

They drop their wings at some point, I have no idea why and by the morning the roads are covered with them and when cars drive though a heavy patch they are thrust up and float down slowly like tiny feathers.

Still don't like them regardless. Lol

get a wet-dry vacuum and suck them up them spray some raid in the vacuum, it works ( or if you are against using pesticides then dump the vacuum bag's contents in a lake or river. works here in Wa. )

@ lava lady Once they have bred and are ready to start the hive they loose their wings and start digging and or eating their way into the location for the new hive

• Like 1