Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Some BFRO Database statistics

Q-C

I’ll check back on this for a week to see if anyone has commented. But then I’m taking a break. I see dead Bigfoot.

Just for spits and giggles I compiled some statistics from the BFRO database for the states with the most reports and British Columbia, Canada.

And yes, I do realize you can argue the database’s motives, credibility and significance seven ways to Sunday. But it is referred by skeptic and believer alike, including me, so I wanted to see some of what the database indicated.

And that brings us to another point when it comes to bigfoot belief, at any point on the skeptic/belief spectrum, you can have your cake and eat it too when discussing an uncategorized creature like bigfoot.

I started this as a search into what percentage of bigfoot reports were from before the release of the Patterson Gimlin Film of 1967.

I was also curious as to how many reports were actually clear sightings of the creature (“A” reports, and not just poor visibility, smells, or sounds, secondhand “B,C” reports). I learned not all “A” reports are clear sightings of the creature. Some are footprints or a distant visual with no clear details given, etc.

I also wanted to see if there was a clear west to east trend in reports= earliest reports from the west and later reports from the east as news spread.

You can decide the answers to my questions for yourself.

So, enjoy or ignore or do both!

All data was collected from the BFRO Report Database

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/default.asp

*Note* All reports are assigned a classification of A, B or C by the BFRO. However, even though BFRO lists these as “Sightings by Region” on the sidebar menu on it’s main page, a report listing for a state does not necessarily mean it was a sighting report where the witness actually saw the animal clearly. Some “A” reports listed only refer to footprints even a handprint in one I came across. “B” reports may refer to poor visibility, sounds, smells, sign, missing livestock, etc. In the 11 states listed below with the most reports, 50% are B with a few C.

What is an A, B, or C report? http://www.bfro.net/gdb/classify.asp

My number of listings for a state does not always match the number given on the BFRO site. Why? Because that number is the total number of listings under that state, and not all are reports, some are just general media articles on bigfoot. If they contained reports that were not listed in the upper section then I tried to count them in under the appropriate category (except for British Columbia CA). This wasn’t always easy, due to the wording of some articles. Also some reports in the articles were already included in the above section by BFRO. And some were counted twice as in a British Columbia 1934 report.

This is not the end-all database of bigfoot reports. But I believe it can be used to statistically represent the phenomenon in the United States. State and local Bigfoot organizations will have reports not included in the BFRO database. And there are encounters that never get reported. I have also come across articles that talk about “multiple reports” but do not give specifics.

A few reports listed on the database involve multiple encounters over years on a property.

The debunked National Guard chopper crash incident is still counted as a listing under Fannin County Georgia.

This is broken up into 3 posts.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

I’ve listed the states, with the most reports in the U.S., west to east and included British Columbia CA, with the most reports in Canada.

--Number of “A” reports/Number of “A,B,C” reports (% “A” reports)

California 174/306 (57%)

Oregon 105/225 (47%)

Washington 204/462 (44%)

Colorado 68/113 (60%)

Texas 111/181 (61%)

Illinois 105/205 (51%)

Ohio 84/227 (37%)

Michigan 83/173 (48%)

Virginia 24/51 (47%)

Georgia 54/106 (51%)

Florida 133/241 (55%)

Total 1091/2184 (50%)

British Columbia CA 49/115 (43%) In addition, there are several media articles with reports from 1934+

**I am surprised at how close all the states come to half of their reports being “A” reports when this is composed of random events.

--Number of “A” reports before 1967/Number of “A,B,C” reports before 1967 (% “A” reports)

California 20/27 (74%)

Oregon 2/3 (67%)

Washington 10/14 (71%)

Colorado 2/4 (50%)

Texas 4/8 (50%)

Illinois 7/11 (64%)

Ohio 6/8 (75%)

Michigan 7/10 (70%)

Virginia 1/1 (100%)

Georgia ¾ (75%)

Florida 4/5 (80%)

British Columbia CA 5/7 In addition, there are several media articles with reports from 1934+

--Number of “A” reports before 1967 that were recollections from youth/Number of “A” reports before 1967

California 13/20 (65%)

Oregon 1/3 (33%)

Washington 4/10 (40%)

Colorado 1/4 (25%)

Texas 1/3 (33%)

Illinois 3/7 (43%)

Ohio 4/6 (67%)

Michigan 5/7 (71%)

Virginia 0/1

Georgia ¾ (75%)

Florida 4/4 (100%)

British Columbia CA 0 In addition, there are several media articles with reports from 1934+

--Number of “A” reports from 1968-1979/Number of “A,B,C” reports listed from 1968-1979

California 29/66 (44%)

Oregon 25/50 (50%)

Washington 30/53 (57%)

Colorado 11/13 (85%)

Texas 21/32 (66%)

Illinois 36/54 (67%)

Ohio 24/34 (71%)

Michigan 18/26 (69%)

Virginia 7/7 (100%)

Georgia 10/16 (63%)

Florida 17/25 (68%)

British Columbia CA 6/12 (50%) In addition, there are several media articles with reports from 1934+

--Number of “A,B,C” reports before 1967/ Number of “A,B,C” reports from 1968-1979

California 27/66 (41%)

Oregon 3/50 (.06%)

Washington 14/53 (26%)

Colorado 4/13 (31%)

Texas 8/32 (25%)

Illinois 11/54 (20%)

Ohio 8/34 (24%)

Michigan 10/26 (38%)

Virginia 1/7 (14%)

Georgia 4/16 (25%)

Florida 5/25 (20%)

British Columbia CA 7/12 (58%) In addition, there are several media articles with reports from 1934+

--Number of counties without any reports listed/Number of counties listed

California 15/58

Oregon 4/36

Washington 8/39

Colorado 26/63

Texas 177/254

Illinois 23/102

Ohio 27/88

Michigan 20/83

Virginia 64/99

Georgia 99/159

Florida 5/25

Total counties without reports listed 46%

Number of reports used for this post /Total number of reports for the United States

2290/4634 (49%)

The percentage of reports I tallied is even higher as I used the “listings” number for each state for the Total number of reports for the United States and not all of these are reports.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

Significant dates which may affect the number of reports. The “How’s” are different for believers and for skeptics:

--August 1958: Newspaper article on huge tracks found by a man who worked for Ray Wallace’s company in Humboldt County California.

--October 1967: Patterson Gimlin Film shot in northern California

--December 1972: Legend of Boggy Creek film release. Fouk, Arkansas incidents

Interesting Media Articles:

--Media article #235: Snohomish County Washington. “Tells of early days on Sound…” http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_article.asp?id=235

--Media article #432: Alexander County, Illinois. One of the more interesting media articles. “Local Monster Might Need Good Attorney” http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_article.asp?id=432

--Media articles #589, #590, and #591: Same monster? Eyes the size of golfballs, baseballs and softballs. http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_county_reports.asp?state=il&county=Du+Page

--Media article #452: La Salle County Illinois. 1970’s heyday of monster sightings in Illinois

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_article.asp?id=452

--Media article #629: Macoupin County Illinois. “Website sorts Bigfoot stories to seek truth”

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_article.asp?id=629

-- Old media articles listed under British Columbia

Interesting Quotes:

“Although he [stan Courtney BFRO investigator] believes only a small percentage of Sasquatch sightings are ever reported, as much as 50% turn out to be hoaxes while another 35% involve something but do not contain enough information to say what it was, he said. That leaves only about 15% of reported encounters that have some measure of legitimacy.” Media article #648 Under Madison County, Illinois 2011: Has Madison County Been Visited by Sasquatch?

“turned out to be a kid playing games with a bear rug.” Media article #430 McLean County Illinois 1970: ‘Monster’ Sighted Near Kickapoo

“Indians call it Bigfoot” Gordon Prescott head of the Yeti Research Society Media article #589 DuPage County, Illinois 1974: Carol Stream’s Bigfoot: Is monster really out there?

“Officials say Bigfoot was being played by an 18-year-old prankster, who thinking himself clever, covered himself in fish netting and brush to resemble the infamous bestie…” Media article #180 Faquier County Virginia 1997: Ersatz Sasquatch Has Feet of Clay, Police Say

“The existence of Bigfoot is taken for granted throughout Native North America, and so are his powerful psychic abilities. I can’t count the number of times that I have heard elder Indian people say that Bigfoot knows when humans are searching for him and that he chooses when and to whom to make an appearance and that his psychic powers account fot his ability to elude white man’s efforts to capture him or hunt him down.” From side bar menu on main page under Pre-Columbian and Early American Legends of Bigfoot-like Beings: “Traditional Attitudes Toward Bigfoot in Many Native American Cultures” by Gayle Highpipe

“…the people who worked the thick woods of the Northwest were familiar with Bigfoot and respected them, but kept their distance. He told of many experiences he had personally…” Media article #383 Montgomery County, Texas 1980’s: Sightings of Bigfoot in Texas.

“they’ll [other Web sites]take you for a fee to hunt bigfoot. They’re liars and con artists and hurt our research. Our information is free to the public.” Robert Smith BFRO member. Media article #629 Macoupin County Illinois 2011: Web site sorts Bigfoot stories to seek truth.

Some miscellaneous reports:

My favorite kind of report: Lamar County Georgia #23808. Their first trip in the woods. http://bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=23808

“Dozens of sightings were reported in the 1970’s. A popular era for bigfoot interest.” Media article # 174 Seen a bigfoot lately? Stewart County GA September 2000.

Reports and Articles (take them how you will)

--Report #14328: British Columbia. Old newspaper article Lima, Ohio 1934. Example of one-type of an “A” report

--Report #14329: British Columbia. Old Fresno Bee article April 1934. Example of one-type of an “A” report

--Media article #30367: Douglas County, Illinois. An example of one type of “A” report. http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=30367

--Report #12703 British Columbia. Incidents around Vancouver Island October 2005

-- Report #14887 Paulding County Georgia June 2006.

--Media article # 174 Seen a bigfoot lately? Stewart County GA September 2000. An example of an “A” report.

--Report #31888 Butts County Georgia October 04-Present.

• Like 1

Good job :)

Confirms what I had been preaching. Rumors and urban legends used to be campfire stories, and spread around by word of mouth, and newspapers. At that time, they mainly were local things, and spread slowly. Once more fuel is added, and communication is advanced, the " sightings " go up, and the legend grows significantly.

If something were real, it would not take this for sightings to be all over the place from the get go.

It is like watching a plague.

A big thing also, and I may have the date wrong.......1990, when the internet became used publicly by most people. Curious as to how the sightings went up then also.

And, cable TV :)

Enjoy your vacation, and I hope it helps your " addiction " to Bigfoot :)

Also, hope to see you back. I am considering retiring if and or when I hit 10,000 posts.

Edited by Sakari

Good job :)

A big thing also, and I may have the date wrong.......1990, when the internet became used publicly by most people. Curious as to how the sightings went up then also.

And, cable TV :)

Yes, I didn't do a tally but i'd have to say it seemed most reports (maybe a vast majority) are from 2000+. If I had counted them I was going to include the dates of some of the "monster" documentary and reality TV shows too.

But without numbers don't quote me on that, it just seemed that way as I was looking over all the reports for each state.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Yes, I didn't do a tally but i'd have to say it seemed most reports are from 2000+. If I had counted them I was going to include the dates of some of the "monster" documentary and reality TV shows too.

Cool, I edited my reply that you quoted :)