Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dead woman gave birth then came back to life

Clarakore

Every baby's birth is a miracle to its parents, but little Elayna Nigrelli had a tougher time than most. Now three months old and healthy, Elayna was born while her mother, Erica Nigrelli, was technically dead.

*snip*

Meanwhile, co-workers rushed to help. Jennifer Longoria, June Tomlin and Maxine Reeves started doing CPR and located a nearby defibrillator to try to restart the pregnant woman's heart, according to the Fort Bend Star.

At the hospital, doctors stopped CPR so that Elayna could be delivered by emergency cesarean section, reports The Star."

The doctors told me that Erica delivered post-mortem because she did not have a heartbeat when they took the baby out," Nathan Nigrelli told The Star. "But I married a fighter, and now I had a baby girl who was a fighter, too."

As a result of the surgery, doctors diagnosed Erica Nigrelli with a serious heart condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and gave her a lifesaving pacemaker, reports KHOU 11.

Erica Nigrelli, Texas Mom, Gives Birth To Baby While Dead, Comes Back To Life (VIDEO)

• Like 1

I wish the woman and her child well.

This has happened before where they thought the person was dead, but it was due to the heart condition. - Often, symptoms mimic those of congestive heart failure.

• Like 1

Glad she didn't die and hope they all have a long life together. She's lucky this didn't happen when she was alone.

• Like 2

Wow, shocking what the human body can do huh? And how far medicine has advanced... Hopefully they go on to lead a happy life together.

• Like 1

Slightly unusual in the sense that I'm a veterinary nurse and it's protocol in cesareans to give priority to the mother's health, the offspring comes second and I would have thought to be the same with human health. Maybe they didn't give us the full story...either way, nice to see mother and baby are both okay.

That is an interesting aspect of this story you bring up regarding who they gave priority too.

I also felt as if they did not give us the full story.

Wow, shocking what the human body can do huh? And how far medicine has advanced... Hopefully they go on to lead a happy life together.

The miracle of modern science.

Check it: Dead For 40 Minutes: New CPR Machine Brings Man Back From The Brink