Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is trinity ?

desert palm tree

I am obsessed on it. But it could help us to know it precisely,what it is, if we could discuss it here.

BTW i made correction , i was saying Ma'at Thoth and Anubis are Egyptian Trinity. For me now the best choice of Egyptian Triads is Thebean Triad : Amun, Mut and Khonsu.

As I see it, it doesn't matter if God is one being or three beings or a million beings or whatever. If He/They is/are omniscient, then each necessarily and by definition instantly knows and shares all the thoughts and feelings and whatever of all of His other beings.

It is The Father, The Son and The Holy Ghost (spirit)..... they are separate entity's, yet still GOD. Don't try to understand the workings of this... we have minds that cannot understand the complexities of GOD.

I don't see, if we are in God's image, why He should be so hard for us to understand. Our minds are quite capable of dealing with even the "sizes" of infinite sets. That seems to me just a way to avoid talking about something that should very much be talked about.

Always found this interesting...

{Sami God) Radien-attje is often portrayed as the main figure in a Trinity, which besides him, consists by the Raedieahkka or Radien-akka (Maadteraahka, the superior mother) and their son Radien-pardne. There are critics who claim, that this Trinity is a consequence of the meeting with the Christian religion, and that it is a match to the God the Father, Jesus the Son and the Holy Spirit. If this is the case, it is interesting, that the Sami have replaced the Holy Spirit with a wife. In some versions the heavenly family also include the daughter Rana Niejta. As superior deity, Radien-attje is more of an intellectual superior, as his son, Radien-pardne, performs the practical things

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Radien-attje

What's interesting - is that the Sami would have more than likely NOT changed the Holy Spirit to a wife. God most likely did have a wife originally.

Did God Have a Wife?: Archaeology and Folk Religion in Ancient Israel, (Eerdmans, ISBN 0-8028-2852-3, 2005),[1] is a book by Syro-Palestinian archaeologist William G. Dever, Professor Emeritus of Near Eastern Archeology and Anthropology at the University of Arizona. “Did God Have a Wife?” was intended as a popular work making available to the general public the evidence long known to archaeologists regarding ancient Israelite religion: namely that the Israelite god of antiquity (before 600 BC), Yahweh, had a consort, that her name was Asherah, and that she was part of the Canaanite pantheon.

http://en.wikipedia....od_Have_a_Wife?

Edited by The Puzzler

It is The Father, The Son and The Holy Ghost (spirit)..... they are separate entity's, yet still GOD. Don't try to understand the workings of this... we have minds that cannot understand the complexities of GOD.

That is a pretty poor cop out as humans invented the concept.
  • Like 4

Mormon teachings is they are three beings making a god head. Think of them as a family working for the same goal. They are the father, jesus, and the holy ghost. We also have a moter in heaven to.

As I contemplating now, the Jews never know Elohim(it's plural) or King Messiah ;Christians never know Holy Trinity or Jesus,without other facets of messiah or trinity , Moses and Elijah.

And to understand these three aspects of messiah; first you have to eat the (real) body of gods , at Seder , Paschal and feel the presence of Elijah. Eat the body of Jesus and . . . Eat the "eye of Horus" and live forever. http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/pyt/index.htm

I think "What is trinity" depends on what type trinity is desired. Certainly Mut, Khonsu and Amun are a trinity of three individual gods. Isis, Serapis and Harpokrates (Horus junior), form a trinity that may, or may not be the foundation for the Christian trinity. Those three may have been seen as three aspects of one God, though I think not. Similar is Ra, Amun and Ptah whose individual identities became aspects of a single, though unnamed God behind the scenes (The Great Mystery). What survives on AE religion is a written formula, spells, and all sorts of obvious hogwash. What does not survive is their thoughts in the form of a philosophy such as with the Greeks or indeed even in the Bible. Some things may have been so obvious to them that they never carved it onto walls or wrote it onto papyri. I know this line of reasoning is a sort of cheat, as then anything can be ascribed to AE on the basis that "Well, there is no evidence against" which this forum and the publishing world is littered with, and I do not wish to indulge in hypocrasy. However, AE, as they had no word for religion, also had no word for God as a single force, but I think this does not necessarily mean they did not think there was a single God. We have a fantastical array of gods with various aspects and heads, but I think this is seen by us in a too literal way. I think, without hard evidence, as none exists, that they did have at least a duality that they themselves saw, ultimately as God, and that is Ra-Horakhty. I also think that though I have created the name Ra-Horakhty-Aton, that there may have been a short time when these three elements were seen as one. The result was not the artificial construct Ra-Horakhty-Aton, but, because of events and thinking we do not fully understand, became known only as Aten. Some will disagree, but this is only an idea of mine, not a doctoral thesis.

Edit to add that there is another dimension to this. It does not have to be a trinity as AE already had the tetrachy of Ra, Osiris, Isis and Horus. Most other AE gods being regional variants or minor gods carrying out the functions now carried out by saints in Orthodox and Catholic Christianity.

Edited by Tutankhaten-pasheri
  • Like 1

Not sure if this is the right answer, but it was the name of the school I went to near the Elephant and Castle in south London, trust me, there was nothing religious about it.

• Like 3

It was nothing but an idea that was forced upon those who dared to think differently, as you can read here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arianism

don't forget the three aspects of the pagan goddess, the maid, the mother, & the crone.....

(either that, or the fiesty leather-clad chick from the matrix.....)

;-)

I've never understoond all the trouble people have over the Trinity. To me it got to be the most sensible, reasonable thing in Christianity, although I will admit that's not saying much

I've never understoond all the trouble people have over the Trinity. To me it got to be the most sensible, reasonable thing in Christianity, although I will admit that's not saying much

I find the idea of Jesus being his own father a bit silly.
  • Like 2

I find the idea of Jesus being his own father a bit silly.

well, you know what they say rlyeh, 'the family that lays together, stays together'.....

;-)

• Like 2

What I mean is that it is sensible that if there exist three omniscient coeternal beings that they would be indistinguishable from just one such being. Given that premise and a decision to divide the labor of saving mankind into different tasks, it is sensible enough that this is how they would proceed. Of course how it comes to be that a god sacrificing himself somehow saves mankind is not so sensible.

And just think, they also got a "Mother of God" out of the procedure.

I always kinda thought of it like water.

Ice, liquid water and steam are all the same thing, they just take different forms.

THE PROGRAM NOTES STATE AS FOLLOWS:

'....The Day After Trinity (a.k.a. The Day After Trinity: J. Robert Oppenheimer and the Atomic Bomb) is a 1980 documentary film directed and produced by Jon H. Else in association with KTEH public television in San Jose, California. The film tells the story of J. Robert Oppenheimer (1904--1967), the theoretical physicist who led the effort to build the first atomic bomb, tested in July 1945 at Trinity site in New Mexico. Featuring candid interviews with several Manhattan Project scientists, as well as newly declassified archival footage, The Day After Trinity was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature of 1980, and received a Peabody Award in 1981.

The film's title comes from an interview seen near the conclusion of the documentary. Robert Oppenheimer is asked for his thoughts on Sen. Robert Kennedy's efforts to urge President Lyndon Johnson to initiate talks to stop the spread of nuclear weapons. "It's 20 years too late," Oppenheimer replies. After a pause he states, "It should have been done the day after Trinity."....'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYa4KJjEmUk

• Like 1

What I mean is that it is sensible that if there exist three omniscient coeternal beings that they would be indistinguishable from just one such being. Given that premise and a decision to divide the labor of saving mankind into different tasks, it is sensible enough that this is how they would proceed. Of course how it comes to be that a god sacrificing himself somehow saves mankind is not so sensible.

And just think, they also got a "Mother of God" out of the procedure.

g

There is only one god, that knows the future. This stated in revolation. Don't know the scripture number. But it says only god knows when the end will come. Niether the angels or the son knows.

Did God Have a Wife?: Archaeology and Folk Religion in Ancient Israel, (Eerdmans, ISBN 0-8028-2852-3, 2005),[1] is a book by Syro-Palestinian archaeologist William G. Dever, Professor Emeritus of Near Eastern Archeology and Anthropology at the University of Arizona. “Did God Have a Wife?” was intended as a popular work making available to the general public the evidence long known to archaeologists regarding ancient Israelite religion: namely that the Israelite god of antiquity (before 600 BC), Yahweh, had a consort, that her name was Asherah, and that she was part of the Canaanite pantheon.

Asherah was El's wife, and El eventually merged with Yahweh.

The words "Israel" and "Elohim" both refer to this earlier version of Yahweh.

A similar thing happened with Marduk, though it never really caught on as a monotheistic belief.

The above lillustrates how several gods can become one god, which illuminates the OP's question somewhat.

Harte

What's interesting - is that the Sami would have more than likely NOT changed the Holy Spirit to a wife. God most likely did have a wife originally.

A very good book. I highly recommend this one to anyone with an interest in the origins of Judaism. I don't always agree with Dever's conclusions but in this case I honestly feel he has demonstrated beyond a reasonable doubt that in the earliest stages of the Hebrew religion, Yahweh had a consort: Asherah.

This probably seems odd to the ear of many modern Christians, but consider that the Hebrew religion emerged from the ritual traditions of ancient Canaan, so the theory is perfectly sensible. Whoever and whatever God truly is, is beyond our ability to understand, I feel. But what's not difficult to understand in the light of day is that religion is an invention of ancient man, designed to try to make sense of the cosmos, the world, and what occurs therein. Concepts such as the Christian Trinity are the constructs of man.

Abraham was from summaria. So he would have used their stories not the caanites. Remember when he got there him and isaac was told to live seprate from them. God even made isaac and jacob go back to sumer to get wives.

Abraham was from summaria. So he would have used their stories not the caanites. Remember when he got there him and isaac was told to live seprate from them. God even made isaac and jacob go back to sumer to get wives.

A Mechanical Translation of the Book of Genesis

The Hebrew text literally translated word for word

Jeff A. Benner 2007

and it came to pass in their journey

from the east that they found a level

valley in the land of “Shinar

[Country of two rivers]” and they

settled there

Abraham was born "in the land of “Shinar [Country of two rivers]”, in “Ur [Light]” of the ones of

“Kesad [Clod breaker]”,

http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/bookstore/e-books/mtg.pdf

Shinar (pron.: /ˈʃaɪ.nɑr/;[1] Hebrew שִׁנְעָר Šinʻar, Septuagint Σεννααρ Sennaar) is a biblical geographical locale of uncertain boundaries in Mesopotamia. The name may be a corruption of Hebrew Shene neharot ("two rivers"), Hebrew Shene arim ("two cities"), or Akkadian Sumeru (from the Sumerians' name for Sumer, which meant perhaps "land of the civilized lords" or "native land").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinar

Maybe Abraham wasn't born in Sumer at all. Ever thought of that one?

OK, back on topic....