Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

plants won't grow near wifi routers

seeder

I wasnt sure to post this here or the science thread, Im sure the mods will decide ! So apparently some people sleep with their phones, I wish I had a reason too but Im older now and knowing what my mates are doing 24/7 doesnt bother me at all!!

so and I quote:

Student science experiment finds plants won't grow near Wi-Fi router

Ninth-graders design science experiment to test the effect of cellphone radiation on plants. The results may surprise you.

Five ninth-grade young women from Denmark recently created a science experiment that is causing a stir in the scientific community.

It started with an observation and a question. The girls noticed that if they slept with their mobile phones near their heads at night, they often had difficulty concentrating at school the next day. They wanted to test the effect of a cellphone's radiation on humans, but their school, Hjallerup School in Denmark, did not have the equipment to handle such an experiment. So the girls designed an experiment that would test the effect of cellphone radiation on a plant instead.

The students placed six trays filled with Lepidium sativum, a type of garden cress into a room without radiation, and six trays of the seeds into another room next to two routers that according to the girls calculations, emitted about the same type of radiation as an ordinary cellphone.

Over the next 12 days, the girls observed, measured, weighed and photographed their results. Although by the end of the experiment the results were blatantly obvious — the cress seeds placed near the router had not grown. Many of them were completely dead. While the cress seeds planted in the other room, away from the routers, thrived.

According to Kim Horsevad, a teacher at Hjallerup Skole in Denmark were the cress experiment took place, a neuroscience professor at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden, is interested in repeating the experiment in controlled professional scientific environments.

Cress%20Collage.jpg

full article

http://www.mnn.com/h...ar-wi-fi-router

Edited by seeder
  • Like 9

Interesting...

I wonder if a controlled scientific study could reproduce the same results?

• Like 2

Interesting...

I wonder if a controlled scientific study could reproduce the same results?

well the article did say - "a neuroscience professor at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden, is interested in repeating the experiment in controlled professional scientific environments".

• Like 4

Smart kids. There has been controversy over if using a cell phone too much was bad for you in the past. The evidence does seem to be pointing in the direction of yes.

• Like 2

We have a router and have many plants on our boat. We even have an Oak tree which we will be replanting, but for now, they are all growing fine. Maybe its something to do with the soil or water they are using.

My grandmother used to grow all her own veg for many years, until the rain somehow changed the soil and how the vegetation grew, in her case, many did not.

This bit confuses me:

The girls noticed that if they slept with their mobile phones near their heads at night, they often had difficulty concentrating at school the next day. They wanted to test the effect of a cellphone's radiation on humans, but their school, Hjallerup School in Denmark, did not have the equipment to handle such an experiment. So the girls designed an experiment that would test the effect of cellphone radiation on a plant instead.

If you can test the radiation on plants, why not on humans too? I am asking because I do not know and hope someone can explain.

• Like 1

the 'professional' community they don;t want such knowledge to be widespread ... they knows ... they have prepared ...

now brace yourselves for the onslaught for your 'informed' mind ... the first spin will be 'yes' but its not serious ... no one will suffer ...

go back to life like it was before and continue spending money on their products and don't listen the the 'paranoia'

standard procedure damage control ....

• Like 2

I have a Yucca right next to my router. I recently cut it, and now it's budding like crazy. 8 new shoots!

Edited by FLOMBIE
  • Like 2

I have a Yucca right next to my router. I recently cut it, and now it's budding like crazy. 8 new shoots!

maybe its a mutant Yucca? Some plants may die - but some might...mutate!!

• Like 2

maybe its a mutant Yucca? Some plants may die - but some might...mutate!!

Sounds reasonable. I'm already saving money for more routers and more Yuccas. And then, one day, my army will be ready.

24b701t.jpg

• Like 5

wirelessRouter.jpg

how many kinds of 'routing' do you see here ?

how many do you think is harmless ?

how many do you think share the same transmitting variant frequencies ?

We have a router and have many plants on our boat. We even have an Oak tree which we will be replanting, but for now, they are all growing fine. Maybe its something to do with the soil or water they are using.

My grandmother used to grow all her own veg for many years, until the rain somehow changed the soil and how the vegetation grew, in her case, many did not.

This bit confuses me:

The girls noticed that if they slept with their mobile phones near their heads at night, they often had difficulty concentrating at school the next day. They wanted to test the effect of a cellphone's radiation on humans, but their school, Hjallerup School in Denmark, did not have the equipment to handle such an experiment. So the girls designed an experiment that would test the effect of cellphone radiation on a plant instead.

If you can test the radiation on plants, why not on humans too? I am asking because I do not know and hope someone can explain.

I suspect it's very much dependent upon nearness to the wifi device. Just as the young woman noticed the effect of the radiation on her subsequent behavior from sleeping with her phone next to her head, so too the plants suffer similar effects. That's why it's called radiation, after all. :tu:

There is a related phenomenon to this, called the Baxster Effect, in which it was determined that plants, like humans, exhibit galvanic skin response.

Edited by Babe Ruth
  • Like 3

wirelessRouter.jpg

how many kinds of 'routing' do you see here ?

how many do you think is harmless ?

how many do you think share the same transmitting variant frequencies ?

im failing too see the point your trying to make?

• Like 1

im failing too see the point your trying to make?

we are swimming in a sea of frequency waves ... everywhere surrounding everyone ... more so in the big and high density population areas ...

it doesn;t need to be near a tiny small 'router' ... all these waves varies in density during hours and seasons ...

a 'proper' study on the effects of these waves near the highest intensity of transmission is doomed to fail based on the pre determined factors of what constitutes 'proper' study methods ... it is impossible to find equal numbers and effects from everywhere or corner of the world...

• Like 1

Plants and humans are different. You can't do lab tests on plants and expect the same results for humans. This article does not prove anything. Many things kill plants which are harmless to people, and many things are harmless to plants but which kill people.

Oh, my. Cell phones, Smart Meters and now Wi-Fi. Seems nothing is safe anymore, unless it really is only paranoia.

we are swimming in a sea of frequency waves ... everywhere surrounding everyone

It sometimes freaks me out a bit to know that someone's phone conversation or streamed movie might've just flown through me.

Do people really sleep with their phones in bed with them? Under their pillow or something? Good grief.

from my experiences in discussing such matter s throughout the years, one thing is apparent : none of these things on its own can be proven to be 'true'

BUt as we look at the way things are going in the world we not only know but we see things that are not so quite right ... cancer on the upswing even when people goes on proper diets and healthy living ... young physically healthy people dropping left and right from 'heart' related problems ... mental illnesses previously unheard of ...

We know something is going off the bend somewhere ... but to put the finger on something and state that 'that' is the reason will not get anyone anywhere ... there will never be such evidences or even the possibility of such.

It's a logic trap ... like the statistics they claim from smoking :

427165_197252367039452_1580618262_n.jpg

Its the marketing spin on damage control ... and consumer buying trends .... they gotta keep the numbers up ...

On the whole everything in the world contributes to the problem ... all the pollution ... all the chemicals ... all the unnatural wave frequencies ... they add up.

Some add up more in some than others.... none the less ... add up they do ....

But the market players don't want you to dwell on that ... it is after all a 'better' world that is promised to you at the end of it all ....

• Like 1

we are swimming in a sea of frequency waves ... everywhere surrounding everyone ... more so in the big and high density population areas ...

it doesn;t need to be near a tiny small 'router' ... all these waves varies in density during hours and seasons ...

a 'proper' study on the effects of these waves near the highest intensity of transmission is doomed to fail based on the pre determined factors of what constitutes 'proper' study methods ... it is impossible to find equal numbers and effects from everywhere or corner of the world...

An aluminum foil suit and hat will salve your worries. http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/1581603762

from my experiences in discussing such matter s throughout the years, one thing is apparent : none of these things on its own can be proven to be 'true'

BUt as we look at the way things are going in the world we not only know but we see things that are not so quite right ... cancer on the upswing even when people goes on proper diets and healthy living ... young physically healthy people dropping left and right from 'heart' related problems ... mental illnesses previously unheard of ...

We know something is going off the bend somewhere ... but to put the finger on something and state that 'that' is the reason will not get anyone anywhere ... there will never be such evidences or even the possibility of such.

It's a logic trap ... like the statistics they claim from smoking :

427165_197252367039452_1580618262_n.jpg

Its the marketing spin on damage control ... and consumer buying trends .... they gotta keep the numbers up ...

On the whole everything in the world contributes to the problem ... all the pollution ... all the chemicals ... all the unnatural wave frequencies ... they add up.

Some add up more in some than others.... none the less ... add up they do ....

But the market players don't want you to dwell on that ... it is after all a 'better' world that is promised to you at the end of it all ....

Yet somehow life expectancy has risen in the developed world for decades.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

An aluminum foil suit and hat will salve your worries. http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/1581603762

Sure Merc .. when I started out there were eight of us ... me and friends ... of those eight ... two is now half paralyzed from strokes ... three has heart problems .. four is diabetic ... two is dead ... one before he hit forty and the other just over forty five from heart related complications ...

we that is still alive only me is out and they is still in the business ... I got out about ten years ago .... being more on software related.

I smoke kretek cigarettes and rolled tobacco, I drink ... I eat all manners of food the nutritionists say is 'bad' for you ... but only natural sources ... no shelf packaged mass produced food stuffs ... I am still kicking the footie with the kids once in a while.

I don;t need the tin foil hats ... I just get away from it all and stay away from it all ....

thanks all the same ... peace fo mind gets me a long way in the long way ... so far it has not done me wrong.

:tu:

~Snip

Yet somehow life expectancy has risen in the developed world for decades.

yes ... but what kind of 'life' ? Quality is too ?

and how does life expectancy figures that much into all this ?

as we know life expectancy can be due to many factors "

734201_541713169186168_151814447_n.jpg

~edit added quote and added image

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 1

Sure Merc .. when I started out there were eight of us ... me and friends ... of those eight ... two is now half paralyzed from strokes ... three has heart problems .. four is diabetic ... two is dead ... one before he hit forty and the other just over forty five from heart related complications ...

they're still in the business ... I got out about ten years ago .... being more on software related.

I don;t need the tin foil hats ... I just get away from it all and stay away from it all ....

thanks all the same ...

I don't know what you did before or what you are refrring to here so maybe you can enlighten me. The statistics, if relatable, are striking. Your post, however, makes a comparison to the general population where life expectancy has been increasing. Too much of anything is usually not a good thing but I would gues the sedentary lifestyle some fall into becaause of too much tech kils more that radio waves from a router in the house and no one should sleep with a transmitter/receiver by their head.

I'd be willing to pay an extra $5 - $10 for extra shielding to prevent even low levels of exposure. Hell, line the plastic cases of said devices with a thin layer of lead on the inside or something, it couldn't cost that much.

Take your antioxidants if you use a wide range of wireless devices.

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 1

I don't know what you did before or what you are refrring to here so maybe you can enlighten me. The statistics, if relatable, are striking. Your post, however, makes a comparison to the general population where life expectancy has been increasing. Too much of anything is usually not a good thing but I would gues the sedentary lifestyle some fall into becaause of too much tech kils more that radio waves from a router in the house and no one should sleep with a transmitter/receiver by their head.

our lifestyles is pretty average ... not health freaks or physical nuts // we do what comes best and naturally ... just normal average Joes I guess you might say //

there are factors involved is what I'm saying ... saying that it's totally out of the equation is not right too ....

everything contributes ... big or small ... direct or indirect ... its that last straw on the camels back ...

the camel figures very much in how much straw there is before that last straw ...

It has an effect on our lives .... that much is certain ... its just another pile on the crap shoot table ....

The earth itself is radioactive. The sun produces infinitely more radiation than anything a router could do. As stated earlier, we have been bombarded since, well forever. Our lifespans continue, mostly, to increase regardless.

So much time needlessly wasted fretting over what might harm people when many of the things that kill are ignored. Live life carefully and remember, no one lives forever.

JMO.

• Like 2

our lifestyles is pretty average ... not health freaks or physical nuts // we do what comes best and naturally ... just normal average Joes I guess you might say //

there are factors involved is what I'm saying ... saying that it's totally out of the equation is not right too ....

everything contributes ... big or small ... direct or indirect ... its that last straw on the camels back ...

the camel figures very much in how much straw there is before that last straw ...

It has an effect on our lives .... that much is certain ... its just another pile on the crap shoot table ....

I love the image in the earlier edit and so true.

• Like 1