Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Child photographed with ghostly figure

Still Waters

Yes. If you had properly Googled these topics, you would have seen many, many images involving hand held cameras and erratic subject movement and out of focus images. Yet you picked ones with none of those characteristics. It was either deliberate or from a lack of observation/knowledge.

If it was the latter, then I apologise - but then if you genuinely didn't realise that your examples weren't relevant/analagous ... the issue of unwarranted sarcasm has to apply.

I wasn't the one making the claims, others were.. It was on them to show what they're talking about(Like Sakari did, he didn't just say blah, he said blah and showed it).. Otherwise random Joe Blow is just going to pick whatever he first sees as I did...

Even though I wasn't looking at what others' were referring to, saying that the sarcasm was unwarranted is a bias conclusion. They said x, I searched for x, x made no sense, I sarcastically pointed it out... You understand that is just about the most perfect situation in which sarcasm is used right? (Something doesn't make sense, so you drop a sarcastic remark)

Edited by xFelix

I think it was a person standing behind the child... wait for it..

With an invisibility cloak on. And what you saw was an unexpected glare of the sparkler off the invisibility cloak.

What was the family's name again?

Edited by Pod99966

look ... regardless of what it is ... that it turned out the way it did is good enough for a bit of the 'mystery' that is life

even if you can dissect the probabilities of what made the image the way it is you'll be hard press to 'recreate' it ... its just what is is ...

over scrutinizing it just makes no sense ...

its like one of those 'moments' that makes photography so satisfying ... a moment never to be relived or recaptured again ...

as much the same as those photos of ....

70 Strange Photos That Are Not Photoshopped

Here we are learning Photoshop as amazing results are always possible with photo-manipulation. However there are also many photographers that like to take original pictures that look extremely unreal. Let’s check them out now! Click on each image for their sources.

link

~edit : missing adjective

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 1

I dunno what exactly caused this particular oddity, but I do know that motion blur caused by either camera or subject movement combined with a flash being used can lead to all sorts of odd ghosting of subjects. I don't think that would explained the ghost being much bigger than the child though.

Also, examiner.com is one of those "news" sites where anyone can sign up for an account and publish their own articles. There's no editor and no guarantee of journalistic integrity. As a result, you get a lot of stories of dubious authenticity from sites like this.

For all I know there was an actual person standing beside the girl and they simply lied about it when they found it looked ghostly looking. Not saying that's what happened but we've seen enough articles published in actual newspapers (if the Daily Mail qualifies as a newspaper) that were quickly shown to have been hoaxed using ghost apps. People do lie about this kind of stuff whether it's for money or publicity or just for the lulz.

Edited by Archimedes

I agree, Lens flare or slowing shutter speed.

I don't think it's a slow shutter speed, the child isn't really blurry and the arm on the left hand side of the picture has a clear defined shadow. More likely lens flare, but also possibly the spirit of Elvis.

Could be a double exposure, or a person with a bald head dressed in red standing behind the child. To me, it looks like a Buddhist monk, but then I think you can see what you want to see in this image. I do not see the Virgin Mary, unless she shaved her head.

• Like 1

I don't think it's a slow shutter speed, the child isn't really blurry and the arm on the left hand side of the picture has a clear defined shadow. More likely lens flare, but also possibly the spirit of Elvis.

Taking photos of something moving when you're using both a slow shutter speed and a flash can lead to the odd effect of objects being simultaneously blurred and sharp. Sharp in the sense that the subject is clearly defined because nearly all the light came from a very short flash burst which captures the subject sharply and blurred in the sense that for the rest of the time the shutter was open it was gathering light of a moving object so you get a trailing or leading blur from the object in motion. The shutter speed was obviously slow enough that the motion of the sparkler's head is clear.
  • Like 1

Could be a double exposure, or a person with a bald head dressed in red standing behind the child. To me, it looks like a Buddhist monk, but then I think you can see what you want to see in this image. I do not see the Virgin Mary, unless she shaved her head.

Ms O'connor seems to believe she's there somewhere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUiTQvT0W_0

http://www.youtube.com/artist/sin%C3%A9ad-o-connor

~

• Like 3

I always loved the way Ms. O'Connor looked with her shaved head. She has perfect features for that, doesn't she? And what a voice. It has nothing to do with the photo in question, but like I said, I think a person could see what they want to see in that picture

• Like 1

I agree with the guys that said it looked like a monk of some sort. It doesn't look like the Virgin Mary to me. Also, I don't think she's a virgin anymore, since she supposedly had other children, but it wouldn't be the first time somebody has fibbed about being a virgin.

I actually do see the virgin mary, you see the shadow part of her head is the covering that her cloak would represent, her arm is out and it appears to have clothing like a robe covering part of it... I hope the child makes it through, I know what doctors and all that crap can feel like

Nooooo. Even the child looks like you can see right through them, it looks like a regular human - just a blurred one.

Lens flare: (Why would anyone have even suggested this?

That is my phrase for light passing diagonally through the lens & being processed as a direct passage. The light distorts from imperfections in the glass & becomes a part of the picture which is purely camera related & nothing whatsoever to do with the subject being photographed. My reasoning in coming to that phrase is due to the lens spreading the light out or enlarging it as it passes diagonally or sideways through the lens. In that picture I see the sparkler light passing sideways through the lens & becoming larger as a result

• Like 1

I actually do see the virgin mary, you see the shadow part of her head is the covering that her cloak would represent, her arm is out and it appears to have clothing like a robe covering part of it... I hope the child makes it through, I know what doctors and all that crap can feel like

If you don't mind me asking, how do you know what the Virgin Mary looks like? We know what Renaissance-era artists thought she looked like, but I don't think anyone really knows what she really looked like.

• Like 1

Looks more like someone is having fun with photo effects in some free software, or they have a seriously effed up camera.

Edited by keninsc
  • Like 1

The picture itself looks really distorted. The ghostly figure seems to be of a full gowned person looking down, but what I also notice is that it is in fact in front of the kid. You can see the light source overlap the kid. And then there is the light coming from the left side of the picture from what appears to be someone else in using sparkles. This was a motion shot altogether in a night setting with very viberant lights. Anything strange can result from it, but it usually dont result in a full figured apparition. I cant make any conclusions on this.

She's holding her face like Mary does, that's a positive. Her hand is the only thing out of place as it extends under & is holding the sparkler.

Mother MAry comes to me ... in many ways ....

Published on Nov 13, 2012

A Malaysian hospital has been attracting a lot of catholic faithfuls on sighting the image of the Virgin Mary "miraculously"appearing on one of the buildings windows. Over 100 worshipers converged at the Sime Darby Medical Centre to hold a prayer vigil.

20121111.092545_nov1112_virginmary.jpg

photos: Facebook, Leong Yook Kong; Internet

"It is so wonderful that our Mother has come to us in a hospital, where many of the sick are crying out for her help," she said.

Several claimed the colour and position of the image also changed.

Businessman Sheree Rao, 21, who went up inside to get a close look at the window, said the image was only visible from the outside.

"I touched the glass, thinking it could be paint or something else. But there was nothing,'' he added.

link

She's holding her face like Mary does, that's a positive. Her hand is the only thing out of place as it extends under & is holding the sparkler.

Again, how do you know what Mary even looks like or how she "holds her face"?

Frankly, Mary could have looked like this for all we know:

post-106978-0-09429000-1370698893_thumb.

• Like 2

2002801938.jpg

_40534689_toastie-afp203.jpg

virginmary2_20110126141259_320_240.JPG

cheetos-jesus.jpg?w=620

chocolate-jesus.jpg?w=620

jesus-stump.jpg?w=620

virgin-mary-in-an-ironing-board.jpg?w=620

Grilled cheese, chocolate, tree stumps, cheeto's.......

The Virgin Mary is everywhere!!!!

REPENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

The Cheetos one looks like a zombie to me.

If you look at it at a certain angle it looks like a hippo with its jaws wide open.
  • Like 1

If you look at the figure behind the little girl, the figure look as if he is wearing a redish colored t-shirt... More like a male figure to me..

• Like 1

If you look at it at a certain angle it looks like a hippo with its jaws wide open.

I see the Hippo - it's definitely a hippo, all hail the Hippo.

• Like 3