Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Opinions On "True Blood"

No Censorship

I still enjoy the show, but some of the plots went too far in the later seasons. I also would have done some things differently. For instance, I would have made the vamps and the wolves equal in power and reputation instead of the weaker "biker" werewolves we see on the series. I would have cast a "were" version of Russell, a challenge to him. It appears that the sixth season will be even more out there. Humans will gain some advantages, and it sounds like there will be more madness and mayhem, which isn't good news for those of us who think that they should tone it down a little. I hope that the show reveals the true identity of Warlow, who I think likely will have a friendship/showdown/relationship/link with Bill. Does anybody else follow this series?

I still enjoy the show, but some of the plots went too far in the later seasons. I also would have done some things differently. For instance, I would have made the vamps and the wolves equal in power and reputation instead of the weaker "biker" werewolves we see on the series. I would have cast a "were" version of Russell, a challenge to him. It appears that the sixth season will be even more out there. Humans will gain some advantages, and it sounds like there will be more madness and mayhem, which isn't good news for those of us who think that they should tone it down a little. I hope that the show reveals the true identity of Warlow, who I think likely will have a friendship/showdown/relationship/link with Bill. Does anybody else follow this series?

Used too. But then they went to far with the violence and sex....ewww.... :no:

I prefer Dr Who, thank you....

I LOVE this show. :)

The show has moved away from the books. That really started when they didn't kill Lafayette (thank goodness) in the first/second season.

IMO toning it down would destroy the over the top camp that drives the show.

Nibs

• Like 1

Used too. But then they went to far with the violence and sex....ewww.... :no:

I prefer Dr Who, thank you....

I agree that the sex and violence are gratuitous at times. Maybe that's a rule for HBO offerings. I don't appreciate the social commentary, either. It's easy to see where Ball stands on most issues.

I LOVE this show. :)

The show has moved away from the books. That really started when they didn't kill Lafayette (thank goodness) in the first/second season.

IMO toning it down would destroy the over the top camp that drives the show.

Nibs

I see your point. Sometimes camp can turn into ridiculous, though. There's a fine line. They crossed it from time to time. YMMV

I agree that the sex and violence are gratuitous at times. Maybe that's a rule for HBO offerings. I don't appreciate the social commentary, either. It's easy to see where Ball stands on most issues.

No social commentary was intended. I'm just not a big fan of all all the gore, violence, and sex, in shows or movies. Some people don't mind it, and that's fine. To each their own. We all have different viewing habits.

Sorry if you took offense to my post, it was not intended that way.

No social commentary was intended. I'm just not a big fan of all all the gore, violence, and sex, in shows or movies. Some people don't mind it, and that's fine. To each their own. We all have different viewing habits.

Sorry if you took offense to my post, it was not intended that way.

:lol: I was referring to the show, not you. "True Blood" has too much political and social commentary in it. I agree with your views on sex, violence, gore, etc.. I assure you that I did *not* intend to direct my commentary to you! No, it's just that I don't like it when series shove their views down my throat to the point where it seems like propaganda. I don't care if it slants left or right. For example I don't need to hear one-sided polemic diatribes from gay vampires. That's what I meant.

• Like 1

:lol: I was referring to the show, not you. "True Blood" has too much political and social commentary in it. I agree with your views on sex, violence, gore, etc.. I assure you that I did *not* intend to direct my commentary to you! No, it's just that I don't like it when series shove their views down my throat to the point where it seems like propaganda. I don't care if it slants left or right. For example I don't need to hear one-sided polemic diatribes from gay vampires. That's what I meant.

I get what you mean, now. My bad....

Sorry.

:)

• Like 1

Well, I enjoyed the first season. So, I started reading the books. I hate how it is 'based' on the books. The producer took the idea and charactets and re-wrote the whole story. I can't understand the arrogance of the man. Bthat kind of did it for me. Not watching anymore.

Well, I enjoyed the first season. So, I started reading the books. I hate how it is 'based' on the books. The producer took the idea and charactets and re-wrote the whole story. I can't understand the arrogance of the man. Bthat kind of did it for me. Not watching anymore.

That happens a lot. They always have to change things. Look at the movie and TV adaptations of "The Shining" and "The Stand". By the way, you can see one of the Charlaine Harris books in a scene on the very first "True Blood" in the first season. Gran' is reading it at her table when Sookie walks into the room. How weird is that? I'm tempted to buy the books to compare and contrast them with the series, but I doubt that I will because I think that they're geared towards women. I did read the V.C. Andrews books, though, which is somewhat embarrassing to admit.

I read the books before the series.. or however many books there were at the time, heh. I still keep up on the books as they come to my local library.

I watched the first three seasons I think. Kind of around the time Sookie runs around in fairy land is when I kind of dropped off. Too many storylines went too far outside the book series, and it just kind of, meh. At first I was like, allright, people have lives outside the first person POV the books have, I can hang with that. But just too much what the heck stuff. I'm sure after a couple seasons pile up I'll Netflix them and have a marathon weekend.

I read the books before the series.. or however many books there were at the time, heh. I still keep up on the books as they come to my local library.

I watched the first three seasons I think. Kind of around the time Sookie runs around in fairy land is when I kind of dropped off. Too many storylines went too far outside the book series, and it just kind of, meh. At first I was like, allright, people have lives outside the first person POV the books have, I can hang with that. But just too much what the heck stuff. I'm sure after a couple seasons pile up I'll Netflix them and have a marathon weekend.

I watched five seasons. Like you said, the fairy tale (sorry for the pun) was hard to take. I gave it the benefit of the doubt, though. I had mixed feelings about the introductions of the varied "supes". They seemed too weird at times. On the other hand, they kept the seasons identifiable. For instance, the maenad and Russell/werewolves differentiated the second and third seasons, respectively. I just ignored the few scenes that bugged me and enjoyed most of the action.

I liked the first two seasons the best. I think the biggest problem I have with the show is there being so many regular characters. There are just too many different storylines going on all at once and it seems like it takes forever for the plot to move forward. And a lot of characters don't interest me. Characters like Andy, Terry and Arlene do not need their own storylines nor do they need to be in every single episode.

The writers don't seem to have the guts to kill off any characters either so there's not much suspense. Last season

Bill 'dying' and then changing was a pleasant surprise, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sookie somehow finds a cure and he turns back to his former self by the end of s6.

I liked the first two seasons the best. I think the biggest problem I have with the show is there being so many regular characters. There are just too many different storylines going on all at once and it seems like it takes forever for the plot to move forward. And a lot of characters don't interest me. Characters like Andy, Terry and Arlene do not need their own storylines nor do they need to be in every single episode.

The writers don't seem to have the guts to kill off any characters either so there's not much suspense. Last season

Bill 'dying' and then changing was a pleasant surprise, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sookie somehow finds a cure and he turns back to his former self by the end of s6.

Yes. Too many story lines were driving me crazy. But, IMO that goes back to Ball not following the books and making his own little story line.

I still watch . I never read the book ,but when I compare the book storyline to the series,there are so many more character's and tangents ,that I'm not sure I could keep the book storyline straight.

There are tons of faeries in the books rashore ,why would a lot of them in the series bother you .

I love Eric Northman and Pam . I think I watch more for their storylines than anyone else.

Last season was sick . The cliff hanger was a Wtf. I cannot wait to see how that ends up .

I'm very glad what's his face is dead though .

I do believe Rutger Hauer has been cast as Warlow ,so that should be very amusing

PS .I heard Alexander Skaarsgard is only in half the season ,and may be leaving for good ,but they won't say

I still watch . I never read the book ,but when I compare the book storyline to the series,there are so many more character's and tangents ,that I'm not sure I could keep the book storyline straight.

There are tons of faeries in the books rashore ,why would a lot of them in the series bother you .

I love Eric Northman and Pam . I think I watch more for their storylines than anyone else.

Last season was sick . The cliff hanger was a Wtf. I cannot wait to see how that ends up .

I'm very glad what's his face is dead though .

I do believe Rutger Hauer has been cast as Warlow ,so that should be very amusing

I'm not bothered by the faeries... It's Sookie wandering in fairyland point in the series that I dropped off watching it. It wasn't specifically because of that, but so many other points that got mangled before that, and at that point I was like, ok, this whole show is pretty much wandering off enough that I lost some interest.

There are times when you really do need a scorecard to keep track of the plots. One could be a cynic and say that it's harder to film and write longer plots and scenes, so they break them up into more manageable pieces. You're right in that it can get unwieldy. Hopefully, they won't add another separate character's plot to the show.

That is perfect casting. I hope that's true. I'm intrigued by who and/or what Warlow is. My guess is that he'll be the linchpin of the sixth season. Maybe he could tie two or more plots together. That would make things less convoluted. One central story would be fine, for that matter. Show how Warlow affects all of the main players.

PS .I heard Alexander Skaarsgard is only in half the season ,and may be leaving for good ,but they won't say

That's a shame. It seems like he's more of the main vampire than Bill is at this stage of the game. I like Skaarsgard, both as an actor and a person, so I hope that he doesn't meet his maker. Could it be that Warlow is some kind of demonic/vampiric being that "gets" Eric?

That's a shame. It seems like he's more of the main vampire than Bill is at this stage of the game. I like Skaarsgard, both as an actor and a person, so I hope that he doesn't meet his maker. Could it be that Warlow is some kind of demonic/vampiric being that "gets" Eric?

Eric is my fave character . Not sure how I will feel if he's gone .

Did you see the last season ? With the vampire bible stuff. ? Not so sure Warlow can best Bill,the way he is now ...

I love the show.... well to be more honest I love Vampire Eric ;)

But yeah I will watch the new season. I know it's over the top and doesn't follow the books but I still find it a good way to waste an hour.

My hubby watched the first couple of seasons but then he complained that just about everyone in the show was getting special powers which was just daft and stopped watching.

Maybe its just me....but I quite like the sex scenes LOL.

• Like 1

Eric is my fave character . Not sure how I will feel if he's gone .

Did you see the last season ? With the vampire bible stuff. ? Not so sure Warlow can best Bill,the way he is now ...

I watched the DVD set. I went back and forth with Lilith. Was she a drug-induced hallucination caused by vampire LSD? Was she the real Queen of the Damned? I was disappointed when Bill turned into her male version. I also was disappointed when Lilith apparently murdered Godric. Was the homicide fake or real? I thought that the ghosts of the undead remained alive. :huh:

I love the show.... well to be more honest I love Vampire Eric ;)

But yeah I will watch the new season. I know it's over the top and doesn't follow the books but I still find it a good way to waste an hour.

My hubby watched the first couple of seasons but then he complained that just about everyone in the show was getting special powers which was just daft and stopped watching.

Maybe its just me....but I quite like the sex scenes LOL.

My main complaint is the way in which the cat people are portrayed. I don't like the way that they're members of an inbred and incestuous clan. That kind of situation should be reserved for the possum people (if they even exist). Black leopards are so cool, and they deserve better than to be portrayed as "Deliverance" extras when they're in human form. They're beautiful animals. Maybe the sibling shenanigans is a nod to the movie, "Cat People". Kinski and her brother are an item in that film, but they don't look like sideshow stars. Do the books have werepanthers in them, or is that specific to the HBO show?

I watched the DVD set. I went back and forth with Lilith. Was she a drug-induced hallucination caused by vampire LSD? Was she the real Queen of the Damned? I was disappointed when Bill turned into her male version. I also was disappointed when Lilith apparently murdered Godric. Was the homicide fake or real? I thought that the ghosts of the undead remained alive. :huh:

Spoiler :

I think there was power of some kind in the blood ,or Bills _____ would never have grown that long .