Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kids Poisoned by Medical Marijuana

DieChecker

Poison? What?

I don't even know why anyone would need to be hospitalised after consumption of Marijuana unless there was something else in it (ie preservatives, pesticides, weight adding chemicals like from hairspray, etc). But no one has ever overdosed from the active substance, THC, ever, to my knowledge at least.

Good old fear mongering at work.

I agree that the buzz words are for fear mongering but if we are talking about little kids and even 'rookies' just starting their new habit I could easily see the kid wanting to go to the doctor. Edibles can be very intense. Just 1 good brownie can make even the most experienced indulger wish it would end after several hours and for lightweights or accidental users the head spins could quickly turn into stomach spins and freak outs.

active compain agains mj.

for decades ppl smoked it, no problems, now "medical" mj gets a first step, and this crap happens. someone laced it with some crap on purpose.

Not at all. HerNibs is likely right. Stoned parents might forget they have some tasty treats lying around from last night. Saying it's laced on purpose is unlikely. Parents wouldn't do that but friends would. I'm thinking we are talking about real young kids though so it's likely accidental and carelessness and not some dbag lacing stuff.

How much TCH would say... a 40 pound 5 year old, get if they ate 5 brownies that were 20% marijuana... or about 10 onces?? Not sure what the percentages of marijuana in medical grade brownies is, but I'm assuming that if some kid ate a bunch of them really quick, that they would get sick. Is that a reasonable expectation?

None of the kids "smoked" the pot, they ate it. So we have to assume these are 2 to 7 year olds.

Isn't getting really high a symptom of being poisoned? Basically you're being chemically affected, which could be called poisoning even if it is temporary and non-life threatening.

Also, I think I've read that kids that ingest pot regularly have much lower IQ scores.

Bottom line.... Keep the pot away from the Kids.

5 brownies!!! Goodness. That'd probably make a big dude think he was poisoned but a little girl would have no clue what's going on and shed probably pass out so hard her parents might think she's dying. But as the op says, it's essentially just a buzz and it'll go away eventually.

• Like 1

How much TCH would say... a 40 pound 5 year old, get if they ate 5 brownies that were 20% marijuana... or about 10 onces?? Not sure what the percentages of marijuana in medical grade brownies is, but I'm assuming that if some kid ate a bunch of them really quick, that they would get sick. Is that a reasonable expectation?

None of the kids "smoked" the pot, they ate it. So we have to assume these are 2 to 7 year olds.

Isn't getting really high a symptom of being poisoned? Basically you're being chemically affected, which could be called poisoning even if it is temporary and non-life threatening.

Also, I think I've read that kids that ingest pot regularly have much lower IQ scores.

The only part I agree with in your statement is keep the pot away from the kids.

The rest well ... I know how adamant you get when talking about drugs so ill just say what you wrote is mainly hype.

• Like 2

I don't think he's being that bad. Or is this a side of Diechecker I haven't seen about to come out?

Na, a typical brownie would probably, only have around a tablespoon of pot in it ... Or Equivalent .... because I think most edibles nowadays are made with cannabis butter or oil .. Instead of ground up pot. * THC levels can vary quite a bit.

But sure, a 40 pd. kid would be more affected by the same 'dose' than a 150 pd. adult.

I was thinking similarly .... if a kid wolfs down several brownies .. he's liable to get sick whether they contain pot or not ?

Too many unknowns in this story.. did someone panic because a kid puked after eating too many brownies too fast?

Curling up and going to sleep , usually with a silly grin on the face, is the worst debilitating reaction I have ever witnessed from an 'adult' ingesting more THC than perhaps they should have .

Edited by lightly
  • Like 3

The biggest side effect of smoking marijuana is passing out from laughing too hard... or possibly tripping over something because you think the cops are coming to get you.

I prefer pot smokers around me to anyone abusing cocaine, crack, crystal meth or any kind of amphetamine. Amphetamine abusers ultimately become crazy and violent... I see it everyday and it's scary.

Nothing scary about a pot smoker relaxing on the couch with some Cheetos watching cartoons... unless they don't have a drink because they get thirsty. No driving though... don't want a stoner crashing into me and I don't want to hear, "I drive better when I'm stoned"... lol

• Like 3

After a bit of research. Imaging having brownies that were 20% oil. Because that is how THC in consumed through baked goods. An extraction process to extract the oil out which contains, not completely, THC.

In your standard 40g THC brownie slice. You would be ingesting usually anywhere between 40mg-120mg of THC. So 1%-3%. If anyone ingested a 20% brownie I imagine they would probably be in another galaxy by now. Though to even achieve such a result would require huge amounts of marijuana to produce one slice.

So I guess you could work it out from there. If I ate that many brownies very quick, just normal ones, I'd probably feel sick too.

Apparently it takes longer for the effects to kick in while eating than smoking. So it could have hit the kids and they didn't know what was happening to them.

A quick search on google defines a poison as a substance that can cause death or injury from consumption. It is a psychoactive substance, not a poison.

I don't think children should be taking mind altering substances during stages of life where they are undergoing a lot of brain development. Though I don't believe an IQ test is a proper measure of intelligence or that a child would necessarily lose intelligence directly from the consumption of marijuana.

• Like 2

The biggest side effect of smoking marijuana is passing out from laughing too hard... or possibly tripping over something because you think the cops are coming to get you.

I prefer pot smokers around me to anyone abusing cocaine, crack, crystal meth or any kind of amphetamine. Amphetamine abusers ultimately become crazy and violent... I see it everyday and it's scary.

Nothing scary about a pot smoker relaxing on the couch with some Cheetos watching cartoons... unless they don't have a drink because they get thirsty. No driving though... don't want a stoner crashing into me and I don't want to hear, "I drive better when I'm stoned"... lol

LOL, then you need to watch out...

:)

I don't think children should be taking mind altering substances during stages of life where they are undergoing a lot of brain development. Though I don't believe an IQ test is a proper measure of intelligence or that a child would necessarily lose intelligence directly from the consumption of marijuana.

This is 100% why this should be an issue. There's no point in debating the "harmful" effects of the drug, (if anything we should be debating the OxyContin epidemic,) the real issue is giving psychoactive drugs to developing minds. THAT is harmful and unacceptable.

• Like 2

This is 100% why this should be an issue. There's no point in debating the "harmful" effects of the drug, (if anything we should be debating the OxyContin epidemic,) the real issue is giving psychoactive drugs to developing minds. THAT is harmful and unacceptable.

I couldn't agree more with that statement. :tu:

• Like 1

Agreed. It could open doors that should've stayed shut.

• Like 1

After a bit of research. Imaging having brownies that were 20% oil. Because that is how THC in consumed through baked goods. An extraction process to extract the oil out which contains, not completely, THC.

In your standard 40g THC brownie slice. You would be ingesting usually anywhere between 40mg-120mg of THC. So 1%-3%. If anyone ingested a 20% brownie I imagine they would probably be in another galaxy by now. Though to even achieve such a result would require huge amounts of marijuana to produce one slice.

So I guess you could work it out from there. If I ate that many brownies very quick, just normal ones, I'd probably feel sick too.

Apparently it takes longer for the effects to kick in while eating than smoking. So it could have hit the kids and they didn't know what was happening to them.

A quick search on google defines a poison as a substance that can cause death or injury from consumption. It is a psychoactive substance, not a poison.

I've got to agree that it should not be called poison. Though substances that paralyze are often refered to a poison, even if very temporary. But that may be a older use of the word. Today we probably would call that a drug, or paralyzing agent/substance.

Thanks for answering.

I do so hate pot, not for what it does, but for what it has done (helped do) to some friends and family. Including girls being raped, accidentally killing themselves and driving into roadside objects, then loosing their jobs, their Drivers Licence and getting a Felony. And then to help them feel better about their problems... smoking more pot.

The IQ study is somewhat suspect, but I do believe they did find a strong correlation between little kids being regularly exposed to airborne THC and lowered school/IQ scores.

True. My wife keeps all our medications and vitamins way up in a high cupboard. Even getting a couple of iron suppliments can do damage to a 2 year old. The people who left their brownies out for the kids to find are more to blame, because they are thinking that the brownies are harmless, when the same people would like not leave out needles full of insolin or handfuls of heart pills on a countertop.

I've got to agree that it should not be called poison. Though substances that paralyze are often refered to a poison, even if very temporary. But that may be a older use of the word. Today we probably would call that a drug, or paralyzing agent/substance.

Thanks for answering.

I do so hate pot, not for what it does, but for what it has done (helped do) to some friends and family. Including girls being raped, accidentally killing themselves and driving into roadside objects, then loosing their jobs, their Drivers Licence and getting a Felony. And then to help them feel better about their problems... smoking more pot.

The IQ study is somewhat suspect, but I do believe they did find a strong correlation between little kids being regularly exposed to airborne THC and lowered school/IQ scores.

You can "green out" which induces vomiting and such. Not sure what that is the result of however. Perhaps the lack of oxygen? But to my knowledge that is the only thing that could make you sick from at least smoking, to my knowledge, marijuana.

No problems (Y)

I do believe marijuana can make people lethargic and unmotivated. Though that generally depends on the strain. I simply believe removing it from that subculture that involves crime would get rid of a lot of people from that scene or having to frequent that scene because of their habits.

In any case, moderation is key.

I'm not sure if second hand smoke is sufficient enough to have any effects.

Edited by Orcseeker

I'm not sure if second hand smoke is sufficient enough to have any effects.

It totally is - ever heard of a "contact high"? lol

It totally is - ever heard of a "contact high"? lol

No, but I just looked it up then.

"The term is often incorrectly used to describe the high obtained by inhaling the smoke of other marijuana smokers." - from Wikipedia

From what I read it is completely psychological. As if you were hanging out drunk people and you, yourself started showing signs of intoxication.

Tbh I have never experienced it at all, around any intoxicicated group of people while sober.

• Like 1

I don't think he's being that bad. Or is this a side of Diechecker I haven't seen about to come out?

Diechecker is not being bad at all. I remember a few conversations where he was very solid in his stance due to personal experiences I believe. But in no way shape or form is this to imply anything is about to come out.

I might add also that I enjoy very much having discussions with diechecker. Heck in the ancient mysteries catagory I would have him as an ally any time any topic.

I just didn't want to delve too deep into his post.

Different experiences. Different approach and discussion type.

Anyway I hope that cleared any misgivings. Diechecker is a good um poster, many a great conversations and hopefully many more to come.

• Like 1

Diechecker is not being bad at all. I remember a few conversations where he was very solid in his stance due to personal experiences I believe. But in no way shape or form is this to imply anything is about to come out.

I might add also that I enjoy very much having discussions with diechecker. Heck in the ancient mysteries catagory I would have him as an ally any time any topic.

I just didn't want to delve too deep into his post.

Different experiences. Different approach and discussion type.

Anyway I hope that cleared any misgivings. Diechecker is a good um poster, many a great conversations and hopefully many more to come.

Agreed. Cheers to DC. I wasn't really expecting anything crazy.

• Like 1

'cept for one guy in india who was crushed to death when a 1.5ton bale of the finest charas fell on him, but I guess that's not what you meant....?

:-)

Wow, never heard about that one! I have heard about people buying little baggies of the stuff, like grams and ounces, but tons? My goodness he must have been a hard core stoner to be buying bales of the stuff!

• Like 1

You wouldn't physically be capable of doing this is the thing. Even requiring a higher amount in a smaller timeframe would, if smoked, kill you from the lack of oxygen if anything (one of the ways they "proved" in order to illegalise marijuana due to killing of brain cells is after they basically engulfed them with THC smoke and they suffocated due to lack of oxygen, what happens when you suffocate? Your brain dies. Hence the dead brain cells. But it was ruled the THC was the cause of this.)

I did not know that! Is this why Pot is illegal, but alcohol legal? That seems strange?

RkTgc.jpeg

• Like 5

Wow, that is a surprise, as far as I knew, it was more like Orcseeker described, a lethargic reaction. How could a letharrthgic reaction insprire rape? Sorry if too personal, I understand if you do not answer, I can understand a car accident with lethargy, but more physical acts seem a strange thing for a lethargic person to consider let alone accomplish?

Again, sorry if too personal, it really just struck me as quite odd.

• Like 1

Studies on the effects of THC on men and women have shown that testosterone levels drop in male users and increases ovulation in female users.

A rape could still happen regardless of male pot use but the link between stoners and any type of violent attacks are minimal if any. I would think it would leave women (or men to be fair) more open to the threat of rape if they are stoned.

Of course, I have no idea what has happened in your personal experience, it does sound tragic no matter what, and I'm sorry anyone has had to suffer something so horrible.

I personally do not smoke pot. I have but it's just not for me, I don't like inhaling smoke. But oddly enough it does not bother my asthma one bit to breathe it in second hand. The scent, although a little skunky sometimes, is pleasant to me.

Just one of the reasons I prefer people smoke pot to cigarettes.

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/testosterone_marijuana.aspx

www.ukcia.org/research/EndocrineEffects.pdf

• Like 2

I remember seeing somewhere that in order to OD on THC you'd have to be smoking once every two minutes for several days. Even the most hardcore smokers I've known would be out after two hours of that.

It is easier to overdose from eating than from smoking.

I did not know that! Is this why Pot is illegal, but alcohol legal? That seems strange?

There are many reasons pot is deemed illegal. It also involves the timber and cotton plantations in the US with the removal of the far more superior hemp.

Basically misinformation spreads like wildfire and it becomes the norm to illegalise it without asking many questions at all.

• Like 2

[/size]

Wow, that is a surprise, as far as I knew, it was more like Orcseeker described, a lethargic reaction. How could a letharrthgic reaction insprire rape? Sorry if too personal, I understand if you do not answer, I can understand a car accident with lethargy, but more physical acts seem a strange thing for a lethargic person to consider let alone accomplish?

Again, sorry if too personal, it really just struck me as quite odd.

Some do induce a lethargic effect, even mainly present in the next day. There are two main types of marijuana. Sativa, which is more of an active high, increases levels of concentration and focus. Indica, which is the type where you basically get sleepy and lazy. Both may induce lethargy the next day. It comes down to the strain it was grown from.

I also second this question. If not lethargy. Smoking marijuana makes people passive. I have never seen someone go into a frenzy or such.

The only possible explanation is that due to marijuana being a psychoactive substance. A mentally disturbed person consuming it and bringing to surface some schizophrenia and acting from that or any other mental issue that may lead to such an act.

Edited by Orcseeker