Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Clarakore

Marine from Lejeune shooting spree in Texas

Clarakore
EDEN, Texas -- A man suspected in a West Texas shooting rampage that left one woman dead and five others wounded was a Marine who was wanted for questioning in a slaying in North Carolina, officials said Monday.

The rampage Sunday morning ended when Esteban J. Smith, 23, of the Camp Lejeune Marine Corps Base, N.C., died in a gunfight with an agency trooper and a state game warden, said Tom Vinger, spokesman for the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Gunman In Texas Shooting Rampage Was A Marine: Officials

This is Not the First Incident With a Camp Lejeune Marine

Earlier this month, an "armed, dangerous and homicidal" Camp Lejeune Marine allegedly threatened his estranged wife a fellow Marine.

A Female Camp Lejuene Marine Was Killed in 2007

Back in 2007, a female Marine was killed by a fellow Marine in Jacksonville, North Carolina. Both were stationed at Camp Lejeune.

Esteban Smith, Marine Murderer: Top 10 Facts You Need to Know

Almagest

I worry for the Marines some times. They are essentially reprogrammed to be killers, which makes them great soldiers, but once the war is over they're expected to become civilians again.

• Like 1

and then

Ban all Camp LeJeune Marines

Clarakore

I worry for the Marines some times. They are essentially reprogrammed to be killers, which makes them great soldiers, but once the war is over they're expected to become civilians again.

Not a great job at killing. Seems more like enhanced domestic violence lacking any semblance of discipline. Maybe they need better mental health screening and services, for those applying and later for those accepted by the Marines.

This is nothing like the killing quota achieved in the 1960s Texas Tower shooting by a well disciplined marine, Charles Whitman.

Whitman left a suicide note claiming something had to be wrong with his mind because something had changed and he knew it was not his genuine self or thoughts. A brain tumor was discovered in the autopsy.

Of course not all psychological issues are due to tumors and domestic violence simply can be due to poor interpersonal relationship skills. Perhaps a mental health crisis exists within our military?

This probably has nothing to do with PTSD but even the ancient Israelites had cleansing rituals after battles which could have helped stem PTSD in their era even if they had no name for it surely slaughtering whole tribes, men, women, and children, would cause it...

..less resource allocation for continuing war and more toward healing our troops should be in order.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!

Ealdwita

Just as a matter of interest, Britney - Would you have started this thread if the killer hadn't been a Marine?

• Like 2

Ashotep

I wonder what caused him to do this. How much time did he spend in the ME? Did he come back with problems that were ignored?

• Like 2

Babe Ruth

PTSD strikes again. Society pays another dollar in tribute to those who loosed the Dogs Of War. :cry:

• Like 3

Almagest

PTSD strikes again. Society pays another dollar in tribute to those who loosed the Dogs Of War. :cry:

Where's the "Support Our Troops" crowd when they come back and actually need support? It's truly tragic. I have always considered the soldiers to be victims of war.

• Like 2

Babe Ruth

Where's the "Support Our Troops" crowd when they come back and actually need support? It's truly tragic. I have always considered the soldiers to be victims of war.

Absolutely. The criminal suits who took the country to war under fraud do not support our troops, they assault them. Indeed, one is reminded of the old term "cannon fodder". These troops today are "IED fodder".

Besides events like these, the suicide rate amongst today's troops is more than twice what it is in the population at large. I suspect that for the last several years, we lose more men to suicide than we do to enemy fire.