Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Season Finale of River Monsters

Rafterman

I hope folks had a chance to catch the season finale of River Monsters last night as Jeremy Wade tackled the Loch Ness Monster myth.

It was a great episode and I thought Jeremy did a competent job of dismissing the myth by focusing on the existing food chain in Loch Ness. He also pointed out how what many people report is quite different than the serpentine monster that we're all familiar with - what is typically reported looks a lot like an overturned boat or a large wave for that matter.

He does spend some time looking at what could come in from the ocean through the Ness River following schools of mating salmon, but notes that anything of size would have to come in at times of high water due to how shallow the river is in places.

What he does spend a good deal of time on are the Viking myths and legends that certainly influenced the area back in the day - and guess what, Vikings loved their sea monsters. He zeroes in on a possible candidate - the Greenland Shark - and actually ends up catching one. Amazing creature although and while I highly doubt one ever ended up Loch Ness or the River Ness, I could easily see how it could have influenced the legend.

Great show for nothing else than you get to watch him catch the shark.

The episode runs again on Thursday night.

• Like 3

I went to bed early, but I will definitely catch it Thursday. Sounds interesting!

It comes on on sunday for me havent seen it yet, excited though

Yeah, I watched it live... All I have to say is wow, I never expected his conclusion at all..

Good show, and it doesn't get boring (shows that are 2 hours tend to do that)

I saw parts of it, I got really hooked on this show this season lol.there are a ton of fresh water fish out there.

Can't Waite for season 3

I saw parts of it, I got really hooked on this show this season lol.there are a ton of fresh water fish out there.

Can't Waite for season 3

Greenland Shark is salt water, though sharks have been known to swim in rivers.

I would love to have his job....

I would love to have his job....

Same here, although I'm afraid of the ocean, and can't swim lol

Same here, although I'm afraid of the ocean, and can't swim lol

Thats what big boats are for....

Thats what big boats are for....

Yeah that was my thought, and just never fall in

Great show! I never realized how beautiful the area surrounding Loch Ness is. Iceland was spectacular too.

Very cool, learn something every time I watch it.

He'd determined, that's for sure. It took him days, if I heard him correctly(?), to finally reel in a Greenland shark.

He sure has the patience of a fisherman! Bit of a tough/dull cameraman job though between extraordinary catches.

Kaestur Harkel sounds nasty though.

Edited by QuiteContrary