Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Space Age Gateway to New Atlantis Attraction

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Age Gateway to New Atlantis Attraction Takes Shape

The home of space shuttle Atlantis continues taking shape at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex. Crews placed the nose cone atop the second of a replica pair of solid rocket boosters. A life-size external tank model will be built between them to form a complete "stack" the same size as the ones that lifted space shuttles into orbit for 30 years. The stack, which will reach 184 feet when finished, will straddle a walkway into the Space Shuttle Atlantis attraction's main building, a new, 90,000-square-foot exhibit hall housing Atlantis itself.

Source: NASAKennedy - YouTube Channel

• Like 2

one of the biggest thrills of my life was watching a shuttle launch in '00, and it was a shame to see 'em stopped.

we'll probably never see anything that big blasting off again in our lifetime, and that lessens us all.....

we'll probably never see anything that big blasting off again in our lifetime,

Unless you don't expect to live until 2017 you are almost certainly wrong (I'm pleased to say).

2017 should see the first launch of NASA Space Launch System, a rocket considerably larger than the shuttle. The initial versions will be able to take 70 tonnes into low earth orbit.

When the largest version is built (some time after 2030) it will be larger and more powerful than even the legendary Saturn V. This version will not arrive until the 2030's but I'm planning to hang around until then.

• Like 1

i'm glad i'm wrong too!!

:-)

I MIGHT be around for 2030 waspie, but I doubt it. I lead a, shall we say, 'unconventional' life, and if my body manages to last another 20yrs, no-one will be more suprised than me!

be nice if I did though, something bigger than a saturn v would be well worth hanging around for!

not sure I can mend my ways enough though, sadly.

Edited by shrooma