Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Quotes and Facts on Iraq

DC09

John Edwards, while voting YES to the Resolution authorizing US military force against Iraq:

"Others argue that if even our allies support us, we should not support this resolution because confronting Iraq now would undermine the long-term fight against terrorist groups like Al Qaeda. Yet, I believe that this is not an either-or choice. Our national security requires us to do both, and we can."

Senator John Edwards (Democrat, North Carolina)

US Senate floor statement: "Authorization of the Use of

United States Armed Forces Against Iraq"

October 10, 2002

http://edwards.senate.gov/statements/20021010_iraq.html

"Those who doubted whether Iraq or the world would be better off without Saddam Hussein, and those who believe today that we are not safer with his capture, don't have the judgment to be President, or the credibility to be elected President.

No one can doubt or should doubt that we are safer -- and Iraq is better -- because Saddam Hussein is now behind bars."

Senator John Kerry (Democrat, Massachusetts)

Speech at Drake University in Iowa

December 16, 2003

http://www.jsonline.com/news/gen/dec03/193...sp?format=print

"I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein. And when the president made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him."

During a Democratic Primary Debate at the University of South Carolina

May 3, 2003

http://www.vote-smart.org/debate_transcripts/trans_1.pdf

Senator John Edwards, when asked about "Axis of Evil" countries Iran, Iraq, and North Korea:

"I mean, we have three different countries that, while they all present serious problems for the United States -- they're dictatorships, they're involved in the development and proliferation of weapons of mass destruction -- you know, the most imminent, clear and present threat to our country is not the same from those three countries. I think Iraq is the most serious and imminent threat to our country."

During an interview on CNN's "Late Edition"

February 24, 2002

http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0202/24/le.00.html

"There is no doubt that Saddam Hussein's regime is a serious danger, that he is a tyrant, and that his pursuit of lethal weapons of mass destruction cannot be tolerated. He must be disarmed."

Senator Edward Kennedy (Democrat, Massachusetts)

Speech at Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies

September 27, 2002

http://kennedy.senate.gov/~kennedy/stateme...2002927718.html

"In the next century, the community of nations may see more and more the very kind of threat Iraq poses now -- a rogue state with weapons of mass destruction ready to use them or provide them to terrorists, drug traffickers or organized criminals who travel the world among us unnoticed.

If we fail to respond today, Saddam and all those who would follow in his footsteps will be emboldened tomorrow by the knowledge that they can act with impunity, even in the face of a clear message from the United Nations Security Council and clear evidence of a weapons of mass destruction program."

President Clinton

Address to Joint Chiefs of Staff and Pentagon staff

February 17, 1998

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1998/02/17/...s/clinton.iraq/

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including Al Qaeda members...

It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."

Senator Hillary Clinton (Democrat, New York)

Addressing the US Senate

October 10, 2002

http://clinton.senate.gov/speeches/iraq_101002.html

John Kerry, while voting YES to the Resolution authorizing US military force against Iraq:

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force - if necessary - to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."

Addressing the US Senate

October 9, 2002

http://www.johnkerry.com/news/speeches/spc_2002_1009.html

Google cache of deleted page:

http://66.102.11.104/search?q=cache:bAhvvs..._2002_1009.html

"As a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, I firmly believe that the issue of Iraq is not about politics. It's about national security. We know that for at least 20 years, Saddam Hussein has obsessively sought weapons of mass destruction through every means available. We know that he has chemical and biological weapons today. He has used them in the past, and he is doing everything he can to build more. Each day he inches closer to his longtime goal of nuclear capability -- a capability that could be less than a year away.

The path of confronting Saddam is full of hazards. But the path of inaction is far more dangerous. This week, a week where we remember the sacrifice of thousands of innocent Americans made on 9-11, the choice could not be starker. Had we known that such attacks were imminent, we surely would have used every means at our disposal to prevent them and take out the plotters. We cannot wait for such a terrible event -- or, if weapons of mass destruction are used, one far worse -- to address the clear and present danger posed by Saddam Hussein's Iraq."

US Senate floor statement: "Iraqi Dictator Must Go"

September 12, 2002

http://edwards.senate.gov/statements/20020912_iraq.html

"Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime. We all know the litany of his offenses. He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation. He miscalculated an eight-year war with Iran. He miscalculated the invasion of Kuwait. He miscalculated America's response to that act of naked aggression. He miscalculated the result of setting oil rigs on fire. He miscalculated the impact of sending scuds into Israel and trying to assassinate an American President. He miscalculated his own military strength. He miscalculated the Arab world's response to his misconduct. And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction. That is why the world, through the United Nations Security Council, has spoken with one voice, demanding that Iraq disclose its weapons programs and disarm.

So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real, but it is not new. It has been with us since the end of the Persian Gulf War.

In U.N. Security Council Resolution 1441, the United Nations has now affirmed that Saddam Hussein must disarm or face the most serious consequences. Let me make it clear that the burden is resoundingly on Saddam Hussein to live up to the ceasefire agreement he signed and make clear to the world how he disposed of weapons he previously admitted to possessing."

Speech at Georgetown University

January 23, 2003

http://kerry.senate.gov/bandwidth/cfm/record.cfm?id=189831

Link

There are tons more.

Taking every position possible on the war, depending on which way the political wind is blowing. rolleyes.gif

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• justfound20bucks

• Independent1

• Velikovsky

• stillcrazy

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, as much as you folks might dislike it there are quotes on both sides:

So while you are busy pointing fingers at all the democrats for their comments, make sure that you don't forget that Bush and his people have made their own.

As I have said before, both guys are not the kind of people that we want running the country, neither deserve to be the leader of the free world.

Oh, and yes there are plenty more quotes that I can come up with too..

Independant1, didn't you just try to blast someone in another thread for a picture that you found in regards to Bush and the special olympics? Don't you consider it just the slightest bit hypocritical to condemn a political jab at bush, but then to turn around and post a political jab at Kerry? blink.gif

You are not nearly as independant as you claim to be.

President George W. Bush on Nuclear Capabilities:

"I strongly believe he was trying to reconstitute his nuclear weapons program."

Source: President Bush, Prime Minister Blair Discuss War on Terrorism, White House (7/17/2003).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Explanation This statement was misleading because it failed to acknowledge the intelligence community's deep division on the issue of whether Iraq was actively pursuing its nuclear program. The statement also failed to mention weeks of intensive inspections conducted directly before the war in which United Nations inspectors found no sign whatsoever of any effort by Iraq to resume its nuclear program.

President George W. Bush on Chemical and Biological Weapons:

"We recently found two mobile biological weapons facilities which were capable of producing biological agents."

Source: President Talks to Troops in Qatar, White House (6/5/2003).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Explanation This statement was misleading because it claimed the purpose of the trailers was to produce biological weapons without disclosing that engineers from the Defense Intelligence Agency who examined the trailers concluded that they were most likely used to produce hydrogen for artillery weather balloons.

President George W. Bush on Chemical and Biological Weapons:

"We found the weapons of mass destruction. We found biological laboratories. You remember when Colin Powell stood up in front of the world, and he said, Iraq has got laboratories, mobile labs to build biological weapons. They're illegal. They're against the United Nations resolutions, and we've so far discovered two. And we'll find more weapons as time goes on. But for those who say we haven't found the banned manufacturing devices or banned weapons, they're wrong, we found them."

Source: Interview of the President by TVP, Poland, White House (5/29/2003).

Explanation This statement was misleading because it claimed the purpose of the trailers was to produce biological weapons without disclosing that engineers from the Defense Intelligence Agency who examined the trailers concluded that they were most likely used to produce hydrogen for artillery weather balloons.

President George W. Bush on Al-Qaeda:

"The battle of Iraq is one victory in a war on terror that began on September the 11, 2001 -- and still goes on. That terrible morning, 19 evil men -- the shock troops of a hateful ideology -- gave America and the civilized world a glimpse of their ambitions. They imagined, in the words of one terrorist, that September the 11th would be the 'beginning of the end of America.' By seeking to turn our cities into killing fields, terrorists and their allies believed that they could destroy this nation's resolve, and force our retreat from the world. They have failed."

Source: President Bush Announces Major Combat Operations in Iraq Have Ended, White House (5/1/2003).

Explanation This statement was misleading because by referencing the September 11 attacks in conjunction with discussion of the war on terror in Iraq, it left the impression that Iraq was connected to September 11. In fact, President Bush himself in September 2003 acknowledged that "We've had no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved with September the 11th."

link

Jeez...With these two war mongering scumbags fighting for power...There is going to be little prospects of a better future for the rest of humanity.

Vimjams

ph34r.gif

Dang. I agree with Vimjams...what is the world coming to? blink.gif

Oh...I like your new avatar much better, thank you for switching it. thumbsup.gif

Sometimes you really have to wonder, what we are getting ourselves into when we vote!

awesome thread!!! thumbup.gifnotworthy.gif

I have to go with fluff on this one. It is very hypocritical to cry foul when someone bash's your favorite puppet and then in return bash the opposing puppet.

Clear statement

I don't like Bush or Kerry. Neither is fit to run this country.

Next Clear Statement.

I don't see anyones opinion changing as to who they feel is the better person to be president.

Next Clear Statement.

These are not facts about Iraq. These are quotes by politicians who wouldn't know a fact if it bit them in the A$$. All the quotes are facts that both sides spouted and have since been proven to be less than factual.

Final Clear Statement.

Vote for Pat Paulson, you can't go wrong with a dead guy.

Since when is it a rule that politicians aren't allowed to change their mind thus changing their stance?

Why do we have to deadlock our politicians into standing behind every statement they ever made?

People are contradictory, it's in our nature, aren't politicians the same?

No, politicians cant make decisions then change their mind later, they make the most important decisions and their decisions affect everyone who lives in the US, they can't contradict themselves.

You don't want politicians to learn more about what's going on and then reconsider their opinion?

So that would mean you would have preferred the US joining WW2 on the side of the Nazi's.

Well that's your choice but I think it's a little crazy.

you took what i said way out of context, your ignorant. Kerry didnt change his position on the war in Iraq because he "learned more about whats goin on" he changed because he wanted to say what the people wanted to hear. Its all about money and power- hes mission is to get in office, he's obviously proved to the US that he will say whatever it takes to make it there.

Stop trying to argue your point. its dumb.

I don't recall ever mentioning Kerry.

and I would have had to quote you in some way to take what you said out of context. All I did was respond making it impossible to take anything you said out of context.

If my point is dumb, how about the dull end, is that one smart?

uhh i didnt think we were talkin about a pencil here buddy??? this thread is about Iraq and Kerry's changing his position about it, so its obvious what your referring too. Of course, people make mistakes, it is best to change their position in the event of new information instead of tyring to play it off like the decision made in the first place was right all along, if that was the point you were trying to make, i agree with you. other then that, your point is still dumb. and ass for the dull end, it's dull, dull and dumb.

Along time ago in a galaxy far away I made a statement regarding Bush in regards to the War in Iraq.

Whatever he thought, he as the president, is reponsible to the American people to be da*n sure that his intel is correct. He is responsible for American lives, both in the military and civilian sector. (I suggest you all read the Constitution)
2/4/04

Ain't hindsight grand?

However, that statement was made long before the WMD report came out stating that Iraq's ability to produce and Launch a CBN attack against our troops in Iraq was greatly diminished to the extent as to be a non-threat.

This was nothing new to the administration, Bush as well as most of the others in the administration knew the evidence was shaky at best and unconfirmed at worst. Wm. Tenet, former CIA director has already testified to this.

A politician, should not be allowed to change the tune after it has been discovered they are wrong. Take responsibility and move on.

Unlike all the other stuff Bush wrongly takes credit for, the decision to go to war with the country of Iraq, was based on his decision to invade. According to him, he didn't need congressional approval.

Kerry is no better, his flips and flops on just about any issue during the last 33 years (19 of those in the Senate) have proven that he will vote the direction of the wind.

What it all comes down to is there is no real leader running for U.S. President.

And just a side note to a comment I made above, The President has very little to do with enacting laws and programs. He has very little to do with how the economy is doing. He can suggest laws to congress, but they have the final vote and veto power, not the President.

A few quotes from our prez...

George getting his info from the man above!

God told me to strike at al Qaida and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East. If you help me I will act, and if not, the elections will come and I will have to focus on them.

-- George W. Bush, according to Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas, from minutes acquired by Haaretz from cease-fire negotiations between Abbas and faction leaders from the Hamas, Islamic Jihad and the Popular and Democratic Fronts (circa June, 2003), quoted from Arnon Regular, "'Road map is a life saver for us,' PM Abbas tells Hamas" (Haaretz.com:June 27, 2003), quoted from EvilOz (The Iterative Record)

This what!?

This crusade, this war on terrorism is going to take a while.

-- George W. Bush, using a loaded term which recalls the Christians' Medieval wars against Muslims in the so-called Holy Land, after stepping off the presidential helicopter on Sunday, September 16, 2001, quoted from Jonathan Lyons, "Bush enters Mideast's rhetorical minefield " (Reuters: September 21, 2001). Bush later apologized for this remark.

George telling you whether you are religious our not, you are a sinner. If you are born from this earth you are born in sin.

So what does it mean to be a sinner? If you don't repent your sins will you burn in hell? If so, then Bush is condemning all of us none religious people to hell. And ...

I am mindful that we're all sinners...

-- George W. Bush, speaking for -- uh, somebody -- umm, and, uh, showing just how out of touch he really is with everybody (except Evangelical Christians of the politically idolatrous variety). Bush is saying that there ought to be a law that would deny Americans the basic right to enter into a union with a partner of their choice and receive the same benefits as anyone who practices the Christian rite of monogamous heterosexual marriage -- even though there already is such a law, the Defense of Marriage Act, signed by President Clinton in 1996; speaking at a Rose Garden news conference on July 30, 2003. Quoted from Neil A. Lewis, "Bush Backs Bid to Block Gays From Marrying" (The New York Times: July 30, 2003) ††

I understand religion is a walk, it's a journey. And I fully recognize that I'm a sinner, just like you.

-- George W. Bush, quoted from Aaron Latham, "How George W. Found God," George Magazine, September, 2000

George on Tyrants and dictators and why they are bad

Tyrants and dictators will accept no other gods before them. They require disobedience to the First Commandment. They seek absolute control and are threatened by faith in God. They fear only the power they cannot possess -- the power of truth. So they resent the living example of the devout, especially the devotion of a unique people chosen by God.

-- George W. Bush, blaming the Holocaust on godlessness, rather than on Christian anti-Semitism of Martin Luther, St. Paul, and the Jesus of Matthew's and John's Gospels, and ignoring the fact that Adolf Hitler repeatedly called himself a Christian, pretended to be obeying Christ, and cannot be shown to have been an atheist, at the National Commemoration of the Days of Remembrance at the U.S. Capitol on April 19, 2001, quoted from Freedom From Religion Foundation, "Bush's Holocaust Remarks Distort History, Scapegoat Freethinkers" April 25, 2001

Bush on his new America

And I strongly support the faith-based initiative that we're proposing, because I don't believe it violates the line between the separation of church and state, and I believe it's going to make America a better place.

-- George W. Bush, making a muddled reference to the Establishment Clause, quoted from Conrad Goeringer, AANEWS #889 (February 28, 2001) from American Atheists

Our new faith-based laws have removed government as a roadblock to people of faith who hear the call.

-- George W. Bush, quoted from Aaron Latham, "How George W. Found God," George Magazine, September, 2000

Again we see where Bush is getting his info - I feel safer already.

And this is my solemn pledge: I will work to build a single nation of justice and opportunity. I know this is in our reach because we are guided by a power larger than ourselves who creates us equal in His image.

-- George W. Bush, showing gross insensitivity to the constitutional principle of government neutrality on religion, as well as showing that he's oblivious both to the diversity in the nation he now leads and to the very concept of unity, in his Inauguration Address, January 20, 2001

This is probably true

There's no question that the minute I got elected, the storm clouds on the horizon were getting nearly directly overhead.

-- George W. Bush, still pretending both that he was elected and that he has a way with words, in Washington, D.C., May 11, 2001, quoted from Strom Watch

George W. Bush Quotes below http://supak.com/bush.htm

George on how to find the terrorist.

"[T]he best way to find these terrorists who hide in holes is to get people coming forth to describe the location of the hole, is to give clues and data."

Wow! And I ask - who are we George?

"See, free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction."—Milwaukee, Wis., Oct. 3, 2003

As George stands way way way behind the US army.

"My answer is bring them on."—On Iraqi militants attacking U.S. forces, Washington, D.C., July 3, 2003

George letting us know how he feels.

"I think the American people—I hope the American–I don't think, let me—I hope the American people trust me."—Washington, D.C., Dec. 18, 2002

George on Econ

We need an energy bill that encourages consumption."—Trenton, N.J., Sept. 23, 2002

But George do we have to?

"There may be some tough times here in America. But this country has gone through tough times before, and we're going to do it again."—Waco, Texas, Aug. 13, 2002

Is this Freud slipping though the cracks?

"And so, in my State of the—my State of the Union—or state—my speech to the nation, whatever you want to call it, speech to the nation—I asked Americans to give 4,000 years—4,000 hours over the next—the rest of your life—of service to America. That's what I asked—4,000 hours." —Bridgeport, Conn., April 9, 2002

Little paranoia

"There's not going to be enough people in the system to take advantage of people like me."

-On the coming Social Security crisis; Wilton, Conn.; June 9, 2000

George on philosophy

"I think we agree, the past is over."

-On his meeting with John McCain, Dallas Morning News, May 10, 2000

You don't see me laughing

If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.

-- George W. Bush, half-joking about his transition in Washington, D.C., December 18, 2000, quoted from CNN, "Bush to meet with Clinton as Cabinet building continues"

Edited by 4dplane

If you want to see Bush make an ass of himself go to this site here

and people actually want to re-elect this guy laugh.gif

Thanks Fluffy...A new avatar for a gentler and friendlier image. original.gif And also to get more people to agree with me devil.gif

Vimjams

ph34r.gif

Yeah, as much as you folks might dislike it there are quotes on both sides:

So while you are busy pointing fingers at all the democrats for their comments, make sure that you don't forget that Bush and his people have made their own.

As I have said before, both guys are not the kind of people that we want running the country, neither deserve to be the leader of the free world.

Oh, and yes there are plenty more quotes that I can come up with too..

Independant1, didn't you just try to blast someone in another thread for a picture that you found in regards to Bush and the special olympics? Don't you consider it just the slightest bit hypocritical to condemn a political jab at bush, but then to turn around and post a political jab at Kerry? blink.gif

You are not nearly as independant as you claim to be.

I am definately pro-Bush, I have never hid that. I am just not a conservative ideolog who accepts all of the pro-NRA, anti-abortion nonsense the republicans spew out.

Regarding the picture, there is a big difference between it and the one that compare George Bush to kids in the special olympics, calling both "retarded." This one of Kerry does not have anything really nasty, just a joke about his record. It just shows that for Kerry, all four of those are the right answer, depending on the specific time.

The 2 pictures are night and day different. One attacks Kerry's record, the other calls Bush "retarded" and pokes fun of people in Special olympics.

One of the things that turned me off from the democrats early on in this election cycle was the nasty attacks on bush, comparing him to Hitler, calling his family nazi-war profiteers, saying he wants to poison pregnant women, etc... All of these things are really, really nasty.

Once again, this picture is nothing like that, it just pokes fun of his record.

Why is it nasty to bring up Kerry's record? Why does Kerry not want people looking at his record?

Edited by Independent1

Since when is it a rule that politicians aren't allowed to change their mind thus changing their stance?

310311[/snapback]

The criticism with Kerry is that he changed his mind very shortly after the core constituency of the Democratic party became very pro-war. He knew he could not get elected if he stayed a pro-war candidate, so he switched.

Which leads to the inevitable question, what does Kerry really believe? Your guess is as good as mine.