Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious sailors 40 000 BC

Big Bad Voodoo

Why people 40 000 BC went on sail to Australia on clumsy boats or rafts over 400 km?

Main reason of this thread is to find reason why group of people would set a sail into unknown on clumsy rafts?

Second, is that trip possible on clumsy rafts or did they have boats?

Edited by the L
  • Like 1

Thor Heyerdahl (of 'Kon-Tiki' fame, 1950's) proved it can be done. Why?: To see what's beyond the horizon, of course.

• Like 4

Thor Heyerdahl (of 'Kon-Tiki' fame, 1950's) proved it can be done. Why?: To see what's beyond the horizon, of course.

So Thor did that on raft?

Why would one risk his life to go over horizon?

Thor expedition was small and safe.

Australia was populated with group of people.

Would you put your children and wife on raft and set sail over 400 km on Ocean? :blink:

Edited by the L

Obviously someone sailed to Oz and back again. Eventually loads of people did it.

Alternatively, they came during an ice age when sea levels were lower and there was a landbridge between Oz and Papua New Guinea or Indonesia.

• Like 1

Obviously someone sailed to Oz and back again. Eventually loads of people did it.

Alternatively, they came during an ice age when sea levels were lower and there was a landbridge between Oz and Papua New Guinea or Indonesia.

During ice age closest water distance was over 400 km. :tu: Check it.

Edited by the L

Why people 40 000 BC went on sail to Australia on clumsy boats or rafts over 400 km?

Main reason of this thread is to find reason why group of people would set a sail into unknown on clumsy rafts?

I can only tell you about WHY they set sail to Australia.

They saw land birds (maybe swans) fly from the south across an open ocean/sea strait, and so they knew they must have come from either islands or a continent in the south.

• Like 2

I can only tell you about WHY they set sail to Australia.

They saw land birds (maybe swans) fly from the south across an open ocean/sea strait, and so they knew they must have come from either islands or a continent in the south.

Thats logical. Same as Polynesians find their islands like Eastern island. For Polynesians Eastern island was from 60 to 100 km wide. In search for island they look up.

I didnt remember that.

But were they able to do that on rafts?

Thats logical. Same as Polynesians find their islands like Eastern island. For Polynesians Eastern island was from 60 to 100 km wide. In search for island they look up.

I didnt remember that.

But were they able to do that on rafts?

I have no idea what they used to sail the strait.

But they did, and that's for certain.

Rafts made out of a bunch of tree trunks tied together? It is not that much of a leap, right?

I have no idea what they used to sail the strait.

But they did, and that's for certain.

Rafts made out of a bunch of tree trunks tied together? It is not that much of a leap, right?

How can you sail on Ocean with raft? Thats my question. I remember videos on you tube where big tankers are almost turn over on ocean.

the distance from new guinea to australia is about 80-90 miles not 400km. this distance, the torres strait is filled with islands, making the crossing very easy.

the islands were part of a land-bridge that connected new guinea to australia that was only submerged during the last period of de-glaciation, 12,000 years ago, meaning the aborigines could've walked across. the hardest part of the journey would've been the journey from indonesia to new guinea.

• Like 6

new guinea and australia was one land in the time I speak. So...how did they sailed from Asia? Is it safe to sail on raft or did they have had boats?

Edited by the L

also, the aborgines reached australia 50,000yrs ago, not 40,000yrs ago.

• Like 1

also, the aborgines reached australia 50,000yrs ago, not 40,000yrs ago.

I edited my earlier post.

Also I read it 40 000 years ago.

How can you sail on Ocean with raft? Thats my question. I remember videos on you tube where big tankers are almost turn over on ocean.

Columbus met Mayans and Carib who sailed the Caribbean Sea with huge balsa rafts, carrying many tons of cargo and hundreds of people.

Columbus met Mayans and Carib who sailed the Caribbean Sea with huge balsa rafts, carrying many tons of cargo and hundreds of people.

Source?

As I remember he met two small boats.

new guinea and australia was one land in the time I speak. So...how did they sailed from Asia? Is it safe to sail on raft or did they have had boats?

The distance between what's now the Indonesian Archipelago and Sahul (Australia and New Guinea combined) was small: there were many now submerged islands in between.

• Like 1

Source?

As I remember he met two small boats.

Jeesh, I know they did, I have mentioned these huge balsa rafts a zillion times.

Google "balsa raft" , "Maya" , and "Columbus".

balsa+raft.jpg

Edited by Abramelin

The distance between what's now the Indonesian Archipelago and Sahul (Australia and New Guinea combined) was small: there were many now submerged islands in between.

Do you have exact distance perhaps?

Without submerged islands.

Do you have exact distance perhaps?

Without submerged islands.

661px-Map_of_Sunda_and_Sahul.jpg

• Like 1

Jeesh, I know they did, I have mentioned these huge balsa rafts a zillion times.

Google "balsa raft" , "Maya" , and "Columbus".

Again in whole books I stumble upon that info is that Columbus met (what now historians think they were ) Mayans on two small boats with fine jewlery, weapons, "better" looking then reast indians they met. I never hear number of 100.

661px-Map_of_Sunda_and_Sahul.jpg

So they went via Bali? Or sulawesi.

That its tiny tiny cross. Chances are ...hm...why then people have so long to cross to America? Even they have land bridge.

Here they must used rafts, ofcourse if it was a safe to sail on rafts in Ocean.

Edited by the L

I know that paint. It was done by your country man. :lol:

Edited by the L

They did it because they were FREE, free to roam and explore the unknown, they were not slaves and it is the 'dear' who are free. Human nature in some if not all of us.

Personally I find it little suspicious that people went in Australia because of curiosity.

They have plenty earth in south Asia. For curiosity maybe one or ten could sail. Not all society.

Humans reach America because we are predaotors. We hunt animals and we reach America not knowing that we cross it.

Did Aboriginals also overhunted south east Asia so went further?