Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The liger - giant hybrids bred in captivity

Saru

The liger - giant hybrids bred in captivity

2.jpg

Click here to watch video - 01:33s

The Liger is cross between a male lion and female tiger, growing to double the size of its parents.

• Like 2

Interesting but the question lingers as to why?

They cannot reproduce by themselves and it sounds like they might be in for some unexpected health issues too.

I mean, the markings are really nice and it looks strong but what else lies beneath the surface?

Beautiful animal. It's not the liger's fault people are messing with nature.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's pretty much my favorite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed... bred for its skills in magic.

Unfortunately the animal is not really magical. The Liger is a product of two animals that would NEVER mate in nature. It would be like you being forced to mate with a chimpanzee. It's not by choice and should never have happened.

Edited by Lava_Lady

Unfortunately the animal is not really magical. The Liger is a product of two animals that would NEVER mate in nature. It would be like you being forced to mate with a chimpanzee. It's not by choice and should never have happened.

Interesting idea. I mena not breeding humans with chimpanzee, (although there have been some wild parties :D) but say we genetically mix some chimp and human DNA and we got some hairy offspring, with some cognitive skills that surpass chimps, but still not quite human either.

Would we consider such chimera to be sane person and enjoy civil rights or should that abdonination be exterminated?

Interesting idea. I mena not breeding humans with chimpanzee, (although there have been some wild parties :D) but say we genetically mix some chimp and human DNA and we got some hairy offspring, with some cognitive skills that surpass chimps, but still not quite human either.

Would we consider such chimera to be sane person and enjoy civil rights or should that abdonination be exterminated?

If the product of such a union ever exists, he/she should be given the opportunity to exist as humans in the society he/she so chooses. If the being is able to live amongst the rest of the community without hurting anyone there is no reason it should ever be condemned.

Same with the Ligers, respectively. They are here. They live and breathe and exist. Leave them where they are. But, don't breed anymore; this is not a natural occurrence and should not be repeated.

If the product of such a union ever exists, he/she should be given the opportunity to exist as humans in the society he/she so chooses. If the being is able to live amongst the rest of the community without hurting anyone there is no reason it should ever be condemned.

Fair answer, but this definition "able to live amongst rest of community is a bit vague"

For sake of debate, say that such creatures are genetically engineered for specific purpose. Say to preform important work in certain conditions that are not suited for humans. So lets assume such creatures have enhancend physical attributes, yet decreased mental attributes, but just enough to be able to be selfaware and to be able to learn that job.

Would you say that such creature should have rights beyond its engineered purpose, just because it is self aware?

Where the line is drawn between rights of creatures? Because right now, we still make use of chimpanzees or dolphins for our purposes, althouh both of those species show remarkable intelligence.

Fair answer, but this definition "able to live amongst rest of community is a bit vague"

For sake of debate, say that such creatures are genetically engineered for specific purpose. Say to preform important work in certain conditions that are not suited for humans. So lets assume such creatures have enhancend physical attributes, yet decreased mental attributes, but just enough to be able to be selfaware and to be able to learn that job.

Would you say that such creature should have rights beyond its engineered purpose, just because it is self aware?

Where the line is drawn between rights of creatures? Because right now, we still make use of chimpanzees or dolphins for our purposes, althouh both of those species show remarkable intelligence.

Vague, yes, because there is no way for me to cover every extenuating circumstance in this hypothetical situation. There are too many shades of grey. But, in general, if such a creature were created by mankind and not nature then, yes, we are obligated to ensure it is offered as many perks of it's society as it is able to handle. If he/she is not able to live as human in any respect then it should be cared for by the society that created it and given all that it requires.

It's not simply because the creature is 'self aware' but also because it would be a product of deliberate action, by design as specified in your supposition. What if he/she looks entirely primate but thinks as humans do and is able to understand morals/ethics? Do we cage the entity up and poke it with a stick because it's an 'animal'? Or vice versa... looks human but behaves like a primate... do we yell at him/her when not behaving "correctly" and try to force it to behave more like we think it should?

It's my opinion.

As for using animals for research purposes, I am personally against such practices because there is no choice in the matter for the animal being exploited. I'll not go into any further discussion on whether such research is necessary for the human race or not because my opinion is based entirely on emotion.

Vague, yes, because there is no way for me to cover every extenuating circumstance in this hypothetical situation. There are too many shades of grey. But, in general, if such a creature were created by mankind and not nature then, yes, we are obligated to ensure it is offered as many perks of it's society as it is able to handle. If he/she is not able to live as human in any respect then it should be cared for by the society that created it and given all that it requires.

It's not simply because the creature is 'self aware' but also because it would be a product of deliberate action, by design as specified in your supposition. What if he/she looks entirely primate but thinks as humans do and is able to understand morals/ethics? Do we cage the entity up and poke it with a stick because it's an 'animal'? Or vice versa... looks human but behaves like a primate... do we yell at him/her when not behaving "correctly" and try to force it to behave more like we think it should?

It's my opinion.

As for using animals for research purposes, I am personally against such practices because there is no choice in the matter for the animal being exploited. I'll not go into any further discussion on whether such research is necessary for the human race or not because my opinion is based entirely on emotion.

Interesting topic this is, because we are now "inventing" genetic manipulation, and we still have to develop morality in that regard. I suppose in theory it would be expected of humans to provide decent living conditions to those hybrids, yet we are quite used to treat animals as our slaves, even when they show intelligence. Did you know that some religious scholars would argue that genetic manipulation was the cause of the great flood thousands years ago, because engineers went far ahead into morally unaceptable behaviour in order to create human animal hybrids for entertainment, and that all those mythological creatures from ancient myths were based on actual specimens?

Now what if we consider also automatons as products of our deliberate action to replace human labor with machine. Computer power rises very fast with every passing year, and i can see in future computer processors exceeding power of human brain, and creating automatons that will be more than equal to humans. If such machines gain self awareness, should humans also consider giving them rights like any other creatures?

Edited by Amalthe

What happened to the clip?

The clip is still there, I've just watched it again. Perhaps it's blocked in your country or something.

A Li-Liger has been born now. Lion father and Liger mother.

[media=]http://youtu.be/8G9w63oLd2g[/media]

And I just found this, a Ti-Liger:

Edited by DKO

It's possible a lion and tiger might mate in the wild, just extremely unlikely.

Other animals of similar type have been know to mate in the wild. And lions and tigers both exist in India.