Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Favorite Historical Mystery

LucidElement

I like to ask this question once a year since there are so many new members that join. But based on what you guys say I like to read about those mysteries too. So what is your favorite Unexplained Mystery, historical or not??

Mine..

- Mary Celeste

- Oak Isalnd

- Coral Castle

- Nazca Lines

- Easter Island

---- The list goes on and on!

• Like 4

There is no mysteries on Easter island. Those were not-smart theetless natives who destroy their enviroment and in the end themselves.

Moai is monument for human stupidity.

Oh only one mystery there. What settler who cut last tree think at that moment?

• Like 1

My favourite historical mystery are why history in last 12000 years was writen differently, what cause civilization to rise and favourite one is collapses of civilizations which I did study for some years.

Edited by the L
  • Like 1

I'll beat Harte to the punch here:

Mine is the celebrated disappearance of the English colonists at the second Roanoke Island site. It's 'History's Greatest Mystery', after all.

There's also the mysterious man-made pyramidal mountain I discovered in Alaska.

And the True History of Our Past Basset Masters (as available in my soon to be self-published book that contains nothing but totally new, mind-blowing facts that will cause all of history to be re-written, We Were As Fleas on Their Backs .)

--Jaylemurph

• Like 4

There is no mysteries on Easter island. Those were not-smart theetless natives who destroy their enviroment and in the end themselves.

Moai is monument for human stupidity.

Oh only one mystery there. What settler who cut last tree think at that moment?

What about the Rongo Rongo language? That is still a mystery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rongorongo

Rongorongo is a system of glyphs discovered in the 19th century on Easter Island that appears to be writing or proto-writing. Numerous attempts at decipherment have been made, none successfully.
Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

What about the Rongo Rongo language? That is still a mystery.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Rongorongo

Its created after Europeans set foot on Island. Probably because those toothless natives start loosing oralist due their own stupidity and because they were being taken as slaves so to preserve their tradition they invented it.

I bet there is nothing ancient behind their script exept some Polynesian Brothers Grimm,

Everything is a mystery to me ... and I like it that way ......

:yes:

~

• Like 4

Jayle do you have fetish on Bassets?

Fetish? No. Just due appreciation. Someone has to be primed and ready to serve them when come back.

--Jaylemurph

hope to hear from other people. Im going to check out Nan Madol. It looks awesome.

is the mystery of Nan Madol, that island was built on coral reef?

hope to hear from other people. Im going to check out Nan Madol. It looks awesome.

is the mystery of Nan Madol, that island was built on coral reef?

Nan_Madol

I have lots of favourite historical mysteries, but the greatest is what happened after the crucifixion of Jesus?

Did he die? Did the Templars find an ossuary with his bones? Did he survive? Where did he go - to southern France, Persia, India?

According to the apostle John, after the resurrection;

"Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written." -- John 21:25

Too bad he didn't write it down anyway.

• Like 2

I have lots of favourite historical mysteries, but the greatest is what happened after the crucifixion of Jesus?

Did he die? Did the Templars find an ossuary with his bones? Did he survive? Where did he go - to southern France, Persia, India?

According to the apostle John, after the resurrection;

"Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written." -- John 21:25

Too bad he didn't write it down anyway.

I thought there were much written down but was suppressed and eradicated .... from what I read anyways ... conspiracy nut jobs ?

~

Roanoke, Virginia's been a favourite. Though there's been 'some' headway made.

my favourite mystery is the Mayans, why did they wipe themselves out? and why would they predict the end of the world when it didn't actually happen? food for thought..

my favourite mystery is the Mayans, why did they wipe themselves out? and why would they predict the end of the world when it didn't actually happen? food for thought..

576500_521137377910414_966175100_n.jpg

the new prophecy for 2013 ....

407274_197306380367384_827993304_n.jpg

start planning for the businesses and make it big .... diaper shortage anyone ?

~

• Like 6

Well, the Mayans didn't 'wipe themselves out' and they never 'predicted the end of the world'. :)

Addendum: Yes, Oreo's are 'food for thought' (with milk of course).

I almost forgot about Sir John Franklin's 1845 expedition. That's a mystery I'd like solved in my lifetime.

• Like 1

Other than a few mentioned already I would add, Just exactly were the "Bell Beaker People"?... Were they a homogenous group (i.e. one language, one "race", one society) or were they simply a bunch of independent pre-Bronze age peoples who just happened to like the same style of pottery...

Roanoke, Virginia's been a favourite. Though there's been 'some' headway made.

Yes, there has, if by "some headway" you mean that there's been a centuries-long consensus amongst professionial historians that most were killed by the local Native American tribes and a few survived with other tribes. Anyone who tells you any different is looking to sell you something.

--Jaylemurph

Other than a few mentioned already I would add, Just exactly were the "Bell Beaker People"?... Were they a homogenous group (i.e. one language, one "race", one society) or were they simply a bunch of independent pre-Bronze age peoples who just happened to like the same style of pottery...

I read something not too long ago that suggested they might be single-language(ish) society, one of the splinters of the Indo-European migration that becaus the proto-Celtic speakers.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

Its created after Europeans set foot on Island. Probably because those toothless natives start loosing oralist due their own stupidity and because they were being taken as slaves so to preserve their tradition they invented it.

I bet there is nothing ancient behind their script exept some Polynesian Brothers Grimm,

It's origin is believed to go back to almost the 13th century. Any record of Europeans in the Pacific at that time?

It was invented spontaneously on the island, but by whom and for what reason is a mystery.

Whats mysterious about it? Did they have 1000 tons blocks or...

Duh... How it was built is unknown. It was built in a bay using volcanic "logs" that weighed tons, by people who did not have many tools, but probably had time and ropes. Still, it is a fantastic place.

Why does a mysterious place have to built out of 1000 ton blocks?

No one mentioned the Voynich Manuscript yet....

My opinion... artwork.

Edited by DieChecker