Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Favorite Historical Mystery

LucidElement

I got a couple of them..

The Crouch murders

What all is really in the Vatican library?

And on a more personal note.. Some manmade things I've found out in the boonies. Like foundations or cement bases that ya can't quite figure out what it originally was, or why in the heck something like that would be where it is.

• Like 1

Who exactly were the Sea People and what caused their migrations?

Lol, I just started a thread about that.

• Like 1

Lol, I just started a thread about that.

there seems to be a bit of the psychic bug going around here Abe ... :lol:

• Like 1

I'll beat Harte to the punch here:

Mine is the celebrated disappearance of the English colonists at the second Roanoke Island site. It's 'History's Greatest Mystery', after all.

There's also the mysterious man-made pyramidal mountain I discovered in Alaska.

And the True History of Our Past Basset Masters (as available in my soon to be self-published book that contains nothing but totally new, mind-blowing facts that will cause all of history to be re-written, We Were As Fleas on Their Backs ™.)

--Jaylemurph

That mystery is a complete and total non mystery. They landed on the island, the ships left and were supposed to come back with supplies relatively soon, because of war they didn't come back for three years. When they finally showed back up everyone was gone and "Croatoan" was carved in a tree. They told the people if they left to carve where they were going and to carve a cross if it was due to a danger of some sort. There was no cross. They just left and went to Hatteras for unknown reasons(ran out of supplies, etc., who knows). They just couldn't go to Hatteras at the time and look for them and went back to England instead. One of the most unmysterious mysteries in history.

• Like 1

That mystery is a complete and total non mystery. They landed on the island, the ships left and were supposed to come back with supplies relatively soon, because of war they didn't come back for three years. When they finally showed back up everyone was gone and "Croatoan" was carved in a tree. They told the people if they left to carve where they were going and to carve a cross if it was due to a danger of some sort. There was no cross. They just left and went to Hatteras for unknown reasons(ran out of supplies, etc., who knows). They just couldn't go to Hatteras at the time and look for them and went back to England instead. One of the most unmysterious mysteries in history.

Jaylemurph actually knows all about it.

He's just anticipating me giving him a hard time.

Over one short time period a couple years back, this question (unexplainably) seemed to come up frequently at U-M. No matter how many times Jaylemurph laid out what is known about what happened, somebody else would ask the question again, sometimes on the very next page of a thread.

I was amused by Jaylemurph's frustration with this, so I started asking him about Roanoke regularly, just to tease him.

Sort of an inside joke, IOW.

Harte

• Like 2

This post makes me so happy. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy that feeling.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

One mystery to mee, is why do skeptic mind individuals come into an UNEXPLAINED- Mystery site and just like to battle those who believe in something or look at some historical mystery that defines human ability, yet the structures are there in plain sight. I really am enjoying this thread though, and again, Im really enjoying reading up on some of the new unexplained mysteries you guys like that I have not heard of before.

Entertainment?

Self Righteousness?

Boredom?

Lack of True Fringe Targets in the Real World?

Frustration at Work?

• Like 1

I just read about the Crouch Muders. It is interesting, but why is it still a big mystery 127 years later? I mean, murders go unsolved all the time right? I just have read way more intriguing unexplained/unsolved murders ahead of that one?

I got a couple of them..

The Crouch murders

What all is really in the Vatican library?

And on a more personal note.. Some manmade things I've found out in the boonies. Like foundations or cement bases that ya can't quite figure out what it originally was, or why in the heck something like that would be where it is.

READ THIS, RASHORE..... http://www.mlive.com...tors_belie.html Edited by LucidElement

I can't answer for others Lucid, but for me the interest in the Crouch murders initially came to be because of the haunting that's associated with it. I wanted to see what the history was behind the legend, then was drawn into the mystery of the history.

One mystery to mee, is why do skeptic mind individuals come into an UNEXPLAINED- Mystery site and just like to battle those who believe in something or look at some historical mystery that defines human ability, yet the structures are there in plain sight. I really am enjoying this thread though, and again, Im really enjoying reading up on some of the new unexplained mysteries you guys like that I have not heard of before.

I take it you mean /defies/ human ability.

And the reason some people like me come here is because a lot of the claims made by people touting unexplained mysteries are false. They're lying or distorting information, and the people repeating those tales don't know it. They need additional information that people selling books or making YouTube documentaries aren't going to give them, because then those people wouldn't be able to sell their books or videos. Some people love history and don't want to see it distorted and are around to prevent that.

Other people want specific information about past civilizations, or about the sciences and studies regarding those civilizations to learn more about the mysteries.

In short, they want to discuss and debate. If everyone here agreed exactly, there would be no point to a discussion forum.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 2

There is no mysteries on Easter island. Those were not-smart theetless natives who destroy their enviroment and in the end themselves.

Moai is monument for human stupidity.

Oh only one mystery there. What settler who cut last tree think at that moment?

He thought to build a boat and get off

• Like 1

Where did you last have it?

Harte

• Like 1

There is no mysteries on Easter island. Those were not-smart theetless natives who destroy their enviroment and in the end themselves.Moai is monument for human stupidity.Oh only one mystery there. What settler who cut last tree think at that moment?

Its created after Europeans set foot on Island. Probably because those toothless natives start loosing oralist due their own stupidity and because they were being taken as slaves so to preserve their tradition they invented it.I bet there is nothing ancient behind their script exept some Polynesian Brothers Grimm,

Real classy L.

I gather you mean "Maori," and the whole population is toothless and monumentally stupid.

Is that right?

******* d********!

• Like 1

Seems to me the guy must've done a series on signs in the sky indicating the population was fixin' to burn for eternity in Hell's unholy flames - possibly the Lake of Fire Itself. No doubt for a tidy, if not princely, sum from the local Bishop(s)

Harte

I would add that this interpretation would be in keeping with an already established use of such imagery in in apocalyptic pamphlets created by protestant reformers in connection with anti catholic propaganda which cast the pope as the antichrist. There could well have been an astrological event which I am sure people claimed as a sign to re enforce their beliefs, to assume this event (if it occurred) was never exaggerated or was illustrated with no bias towards the spectacular would be a mistake.

So any Harte i hear that Roanoke thing hasn't been solved.

*Runs before the Basset hounds of doom hunt me down*

• Like 1

Who was Jack the Ripper. Really.

Who killed JFK. Really.

What happened to Flight 19. Really.

There you go. My historical don't knows I'd really like the definitive answers to.

s33ker

natives who lived on Rapa Nui were theethless and their leadership was stupid for which we have evidence.

Where did you last have it?

Harte

...I didn't even know it was lost. I'm pretty sure the people who deliberately destroyed knew /exactly/ where it was.

--Jaylemurph

There is still treasure in the Great Pyramid? Khufu?? Why is there such a problem getting to it? Especially with our equipment and it being 2013. I understand not wanting to damage anything or risk screwing anything up but why is this a problem, you figure they have the technology to get in there?

Also, the Library at Alexandria always fasciantes me. I feel like we would have learned soooo much stuff about our history if it was still around. But, what is the mystery exactly, to this day surrounding the Library?

• Like 2