Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Favorite Historical Mystery

LucidElement

There is still treasure in the Great Pyramid? Khufu?? Why is there such a problem getting to it? Especially with our equipment and it being 2013. I understand not wanting to damage anything or risk screwing anything up but why is this a problem, you figure they have the technology to get in there?

Also, the Library at Alexandria always fasciantes me. I feel like we would have learned soooo much stuff about our history if it was still around. But, what is the mystery exactly, to this day surrounding the Library?

Did Cleo pull a fast one on old Julius like some people believed .... but then Julius had no idea so I don't think Cleo would've bothered ... but then again Cleo always was the smarter and scheming one ... so who knows ?

~edit : page break

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 1

You tthink we will ever come to find more tombs or treasure burried in the valley of kings?? do you guys think there are way more tombs buried still? Also, those pyramids still hold secrets to them, such as treasures and what not?

And the ever-present mystery:

Why can't women drivers understand the concept of a 4-way stop sign? She could have a PhD in astrophysics from Harvard -- pull up to a 4-way interersection: can't figure out who goes next and when she goes. <grumble>

• Like 2

Why can't women drivers understand the concept of a 4-way stop sign? She could have a PhD in astrophysics from Harvard -- pull up to a 4-way interersection: can't figure out who goes next and when she goes. <grumble>

...consider yourself lucky. Where I grew up, not even the menfolk knew what to do there.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 3

I thought the Alexandria library was destroyed either during the reign Cleopatra or later during some war?

My mystery is "picnic at hanging rock" Were the girls taken by aliens, did they go into another dimension, were they killed or did they simply walk off got lost and died?

• Like 1

I thought the Alexandria library was destroyed either during the reign Cleopatra or later during some war?

My mystery is "picnic at hanging rock" Were the girls taken by aliens, did they go into another dimension, were they killed or did they simply walk off got lost and died?

Isn't the picnic at hanging rock just a book and movie? I don't recall that there was any truth to it.

I dont remember if i read picnic at hanging rock was completley false, and just made after the imagination of the book, or if their was some historical truth behind that vanishing...

Another interesting one that is crazy, kind of like the crouch murders, is Lizzie Borden. DId she kill her parents, they have that nursey rhyme made after her..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lizzie_Borden

"Lizzie Borden took an axe"

"And Gave Her Mother 40 Whacks"

"When She Saw What She Had Done"

"She Had Given Her Father Forty One"

• Like 1

The Library was destroyed several times over, by Arabs and Christians (who probably did the most damage) and Romans.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 3

what do you think was lost at Library? what sort of documents?

The Library was destroyed several times over, by Arabs and Christians (who probably did the most damage) and Romans.

--Jaylemurph

Wrong Jayle. Library was destroyed by Romans and since there was two libraries, not just one, in Alexandria its possible that leftovers of one library was destroyed by mad Christhian crowd.

By the time Arab came there was no library as we knew there was once.

Most damage was done by Romans. But thats not their attention.

Mentioning Arabs and destruction of library is sort of like Vikings have horns idea.

Edited by the L

what do you think was lost at Library? what sort of documents?

Ctesibius works."father of pneumatics" (none of his works survived)

Dionysius of Thrace Language works

Euclid geometry works.

Herophilus works, who defined that brain not heart is seat of intelligence.

Archimedes works

Astonomer Ptolomey works

Hypatia works(?)

Eratosthanus works who messured size of earth

Aristarchus of Samos book was in Alexandria who argued that earth orbits around sun and that stars are very far away.

Three volumes of history of the world written by Babylonian priest Berrosus were lost.

volume I had from creation of the world to hte great flood. And Bible have few pages from beging of time till flood. Berrosus wrote whole book.

Aristotele works. (This topic is topic of its own)

Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides tragedies.

Anaximander of Miletus works. (Carl Sagan: For ages men had used sticks to club and spear eachother and Anaximander used stick to messure time) beside others things he do. He done first experiment in the history.(?)

To name a few.

I think that one document survive and it was a list of "all" books kept in library.

Edited by the L

...consider yourself lucky. Where I grew up, not even the menfolk knew what to do there.

--Jaylemurph

Well...consider yourself lucky because if you never been to Iraq and Egypt you dont know how Western driving culture is high.

Edited by the L

Another interesting one that is crazy, kind of like the crouch murders, is Lizzie Borden. DId she kill her parents, they have that nursey rhyme made after her..

http://en.wikipedia....i/Lizzie_Borden

"Lizzie Borden took an axe"

"And Gave Her Mother 40 Whacks"

"When She Saw What She Had Done"

"She Had Given Her Father Forty One"

I've always thought, that Lizzie was sexually abused by her father, and that is one of the reasons why she did it....I mean think about it. Those murders took an extreme amount of rage. So if money was the motive, why axe them to death? Why not poison? Hacking someone to death with an axe, takes a lot of rage if you ask me, so there was something personal about that.

• Like 1

As many will know, one of my most favorite mysteries is "Doggerland" :

http://www.unexplain...0

It was the area that is now the North Sea, and it got catastrophically flooded around 6150 BCE, after it was already steadily sinking because of rising sea levels and post glacial isostatic adjustment.

Why is it a mystery to me?

Because it was something close to a post-glacial North European paradise, it was densely populated, and because no recognizable myths have survived of its final submergence (caused by a huge tsunami that may have lasted for 2 days on end).

And the Strait of Dover - formed right after the tsunami caused by the Storegga Slide - looked quite differently : many huge white cliffs standing close together and by that creating a dangerous situation (very strong sea currents) for those who wanted to sail through it (and they did have boats back then, 8150 BP).

If there ever had been real "Pillars of Hercules", then these would have been it, 8150 years ago.

And those brave enough to pass those huge white chalk pillars would enter a shallow sea with mud shoals and a few remaining islands.

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 5

The real mystery is the people that don't even have a stop sign who come to a complete stop and then start waving out their window to get you to go ahead. These people are responsible for countless crashes as the unwitting victim pulls out and is hit by someone going around the idiot in the other lane.

The other problem people are the ones that are doing 35 mph in a 55 mph zone and then when you pass them, all of a sudden they're tailgating you and doing 60 mph, with murder on their face, in the mirror. What is funny is that if you speed up and get a little ahead of them, or switch lanes, then they go back to doing 35mph.

• Like 1

For me the most important mystery is finding the Alexandria Library

It burned down, fell over and sank into the swamp...

• Like 3

It will take me some time to find the sources but... I believe that the repository at Alexandria and many of the countless tomes held there had already been translated and distributed to other founts of Learning. I will need to re-check this, but I believe that the city of Toledo (Spain) held several hundred of these ancient documents and were consulted by the Jewish, Christian, and Arabic scholars that had been invited by the Moorish Rulers to live there over a period of several centuries. It is a magical place, built on a steep hill, but probably more famous for its sword-manufacturies that span over 1,000 years.

Sevilla was also another city of learning, and Avilla, in those times and much of what these scholars learned and recorded gave rise to the "Enlightenment" in Europe after the Dark Ages.

• Like 2

Keithisco is correct, though no doubt many of the copies have also been lost.

The Library at Alexandria used underhanded means to buttress its collection. Egypt had a law that all writings brought to port must be given over to the Library for copying. Then the Library returned the copies, not the originals.

Plenty of research was done at the Library though. The results of the research done there was also lost, unless it had been written about and the writings brought to another city.

Plenty was lost, that's for sure. But nothing Earth shattering. There were almost certainly no ancient Egyptian writings there. It was a Greek library through and through, and by then not even the Egyptians knew the extent of their own history.

Harte

• Like 2

Keithisco is correct, though no doubt many of the copies have also been lost.

The Library at Alexandria used underhanded means to buttress its collection. Egypt had a law that all writings brought to port must be given over to the Library for copying. Then the Library returned the copies, not the originals.

Plenty of research was done at the Library though. The results of the research done there was also lost, unless it had been written about and the writings brought to another city.

Plenty was lost, that's for sure. But nothing Earth shattering. There were almost certainly no ancient Egyptian writings there. It was a Greek library through and through, and by then not even the Egyptians knew the extent of their own history.

Harte

So true Harte, and also so sad...

I am planning a trip a trip to Toledo in 3 weeks and have arranged to meet with the Keeper of Antiquities (poor Spanish translation, but you know what I mean). I am not getting my hopes up for anything extraordinary, but as most of the original documents are sealed in an environmental vault, and rarely seen, then there is always hope...

If the link can be proven between documents there with the documents that may have been at Alexandria then that is enough reward for me.

• Like 1

Ctesibius works."father of pneumatics" (none of his works survived)

Dionysius of Thrace Language works

Euclid geometry works.

Herophilus works, who defined that brain not heart is seat of intelligence.

Archimedes works

Astonomer Ptolomey works

Hypatia works(?)

Eratosthanus works who messured size of earth

Aristarchus of Samos book was in Alexandria who argued that earth orbits around sun and that stars are very far away.

Three volumes of history of the world written by Babylonian priest Berrosus were lost.

volume I had from creation of the world to hte great flood. And Bible have few pages from beging of time till flood. Berrosus wrote whole book.

Aristotele works. (This topic is topic of its own)

Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides tragedies.

Anaximander of Miletus works. (Carl Sagan: For ages men had used sticks to club and spear eachother and Anaximander used stick to messure time) beside others things he do. He done first experiment in the history.(?)

To name a few.

I think that one document survive and it was a list of "all" books kept in library.

Hey L.. is that all thoughts and speculations, or actually evidence that, it was in fact at the library at alexandria?

It will take me some time to find the sources but... I believe that the repository at Alexandria and many of the countless tomes held there had already been translated and distributed to other founts of Learning. I will need to re-check this, but I believe that the city of Toledo (Spain) held several hundred of these ancient documents and were consulted by the Jewish, Christian, and Arabic scholars that had been invited by the Moorish Rulers to live there over a period of several centuries. It is a magical place, built on a steep hill, but probably more famous for its sword-manufacturies that span over 1,000 years.

Sevilla was also another city of learning, and Avilla, in those times and much of what these scholars learned and recorded gave rise to the "Enlightenment" in Europe after the Dark Ages.

i think it burned down?