Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Bentwaters Incident 1980

Spacenut56

I am a newbie here relatively, so forgive me if this is already on the forum. I did a search but nothing came up which surprised me. This morning I saw a show I have seen many times, but today was on H-2, and its been called Great Britians' Roswell. It happened in the Bentwaters U.S. base,area of the U.K. Back in 1980 a ufo was seen at least twice, by several top Officers of the U.S. in the U.K. It was not only seen by many U.S. servicepeople, on the base. But a craft landed at least once, and the aliens and the US Servicepeople actually somehow as I understand it, communicated or tried to with the aliens.

I have seen this program at least 3 times if not more. There were notes taken by the Officers back in 1980 as well as a cassette recording of the encounter(s). I believe this is the real deal, and its clear all the personnel involved , still do to this day too. From what I recall most of the people involved were of high rankings on this base. Fascinating.

• Like 1

Hi, I recommend searching these forums for Rendlesham (not Bentwaters), the case has been discussed at length and to death over the years.

• Like 2

Here you go - some former posts. I used the search phrase 'Rendlesham Forest ufo'

http://www.unexplain..._gcQ&tid=225740

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=222548

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=196993

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=190543

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=166550

Hi, I recommend searching these forums for Rendlesham (not Bentwaters), the case has been discussed at length and to death over the years.

:tu: hehe, we think alike, while I was gathering the topics you posted it anyway!!

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

According to Nick Redfern (yes yes yes I know. It's Nick Redfern, but still hear him out) Rendlesham Forest is a mecca for unusual sightings over the years. The UFO incidents being some of the more sensational, but it's also a home to daemon dogs and the odd phantom cat and ghostly army.

• Like 3

According to Nick Redfern (yes yes yes I know. It's Nick Redfern, but still hear him out) Rendlesham Forest is a mecca for unusual sightings over the years. The UFO incidents being some of the more sensational, but it's also a home to daemon dogs and the odd phantom cat and ghostly army.

They all live in the Lighthouse.

• Like 1

That was a real UFO case.

Yes it was, then the details were entered, and it's just controversy now. Some still believe the original claim from some of those involved. RendleSHAM lived up to it's name.

LINK - All you ever needed to know about RendleSHAM and then some.

• Like 2

They all live in the Lighthouse.

The Jolly Rock Lighthouse?

OHH Don't go to the Jolly Rock, whatever you do...

• Like 1

The Jolly Rock Lighthouse?

[media=]

[/media]

OHH Don't go to the Jolly Rock, whatever you do...

LOL yes! That is why The Goodies are trying to avert attention from there. Elvis, Morrison, Hendrix, they are all there.

• 1 month later...

I think i may be one of the only witnesses in this that hasn`t written a book,made a dvd etc etc

My reason for replying is simple .

it is PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to see Orford ness lighthouse in Lowestoft/pakefield/wrentham & even southwold

until you "turn the bend" on the east coast to actually be able to see it it is impossible to be viewed from these villages.

In the 80/90s i had several things sent to UFO Magazine that were published so im not a newb im not promoting a website &

i dont wish to be famous .

I saw the NYE "Object" in the village of Carlton Colville ( i was 16) in lowestoft along with 5 other witnesses.

Over the years i found 11 others from pakefield/wrentham/southwold who had simply been ignored by previous investigations,Especially those pushing

the lighthouse theory.

THIS WAS NO LIGHTHOUSE!

What we saw changed shape from pyramid to eliptical & was turning anti clockwise with 3 lights one on top 2 on the sides,it was not hurtling it was simply drifting & flew towards pontins (on the coast)& then in the general direction hugging the coast..It had a blue/purple translucent colouring.

2 of my friends were freaked out by this & denied it ever happened....One messaged me one night out of the blue on faceache & suddenly blurted out that HE HAD seen it,it scared him & had "been with him his entire life"

2 long liners saw it as they were laying lines on NYE off pakefield & saw this for some 18 minutes-both ignored by ALL the top ufologists-after hearing of them-took me half hour to find them! Many people were at the denes holiday village for new year & several again saw it (these have been harder 2 track as they were of course on holiday).

Does make me smile that every book ever written is the "definative" account of Rendlesham when less than half the witnesses have even been located ! :alien: .

Living in the area you know whats true & what isnt & franky the lighthouse theory (cant remember who it was now his name escapes me ) is just nonsense.

Rendlesham now has a plaque & an official tour,not bad for something that did not happen.

The 2 bases can not be dismantled & the only way to destroy the bunkers is with bombs,so it has & always will be a base within a base.

The "tunnel" described in Brhunis book was secured & the access in Corton Lowestoft was cut off after several people poked around there & found signs of underground activity.

why would a bird sanctuary have a sunken helicopter pad?

There were signs that stated there is a microwave radiation hazzard at above 3 metres

i had tales from a dozen people on the beach tellin me not to fish parralell to the "bird sanctuary" as when you cast out "something" melts your line & you snap off!

Just for the conspiracy theorists-at 1 mile there are 2 Marker buoys that say go away (in shipping terms not literally)

larry warren said the access to the underground tunnel -was 1 mile off the coast of lowestoft!

Still a good yarn anyway :)

great forum by the way very intersting stuff :tu:

• Like 4

Im afraid I will always have mega-problems in comprehension, when talking of alleged craft that can change shape, or morph as people say. Its just way too bizarre and how on earth can it be possible? And what would be the point of a morphing craft?

Really what will be the point? And what would a craft that 'could' change shape - do to its occupants?

Nah sorry, not buying it all, ever. Period! But as you say, it does make a good tale

• Like 2

Im afraid I will always have mega-problems in comprehension, when talking of alleged craft that can change shape, or morph as people say. Its just way too bizarre and how on earth can it be possible? And what would be the point of a morphing craft?

There was a theory back in the 50' and 60' that the UFO seen in the sky were actually living beings, that dwells in the atmosphere.

Of course nowadays this hypopthetis is rejected for we know more scientifcally but perhaps what is refered to here is a recycling of this theory?

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 1

I think i may be one of the only witnesses in this that hasn`t written a book,made a dvd etc etc

it is PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to see Orford ness lighthouse in Lowestoft/pakefield/wrentham & even southwold

until you "turn the bend" on the east coast to actually be able to see it it is impossible to be viewed from these villages.

In the 80/90s i had several things sent to UFO Magazine that were published so im not a newb im not promoting a website &

I saw the NYE "Object" in the village of Carlton Colville ( i was 16) in lowestoft along with 5 other witnesses.

Over the years i found 11 others from pakefield/wrentham/southwold who had simply been ignored by previous investigations,Especially those pushing

the lighthouse theory.

THIS WAS NO LIGHTHOUSE!

What we saw changed shape from pyramid to eliptical & was turning anti clockwise with 3 lights one on top 2 on the sides,it was not hurtling it was simply drifting & flew towards pontins (on the coast)& then in the general direction hugging the coast..It had a blue/purple translucent colouring.

2 of my friends were freaked out by this & denied it ever happened....One messaged me one night out of the blue on faceache & suddenly blurted out that HE HAD seen it,it scared him & had "been with him his entire life"

2 long liners saw it as they were laying lines on NYE off pakefield & saw this for some 18 minutes-both ignored by ALL the top ufologists-after hearing of them-took me half hour to find them! Many people were at the denes holiday village for new year & several again saw it (these have been harder 2 track as they were of course on holiday).

Does make me smile that every book ever written is the "definative" account of Rendlesham when less than half the witnesses have even been located ! :alien: .

Living in the area you know whats true & what isnt & franky the lighthouse theory (cant remember who it was now his name escapes me ) is just nonsense.

Rendlesham now has a plaque & an official tour,not bad for something that did not happen.

The 2 bases can not be dismantled & the only way to destroy the bunkers is with bombs,so it has & always will be a base within a base.

The "tunnel" described in Brhunis book was secured & the access in Corton Lowestoft was cut off after several people poked around there & found signs of underground activity.

There were signs that stated there is a microwave radiation hazzard at above 3 metres

i had tales from a dozen people on the beach tellin me not to fish parralell to the "bird sanctuary" as when you cast out "something" melts your line & you snap off!

Just for the conspiracy theorists-at 1 mile there are 2 Marker buoys that say go away (in shipping terms not literally)

larry warren said the access to the underground tunnel -was 1 mile off the coast of lowestoft!

Welcome to the Show Epl442 ~ Its good to read the bit on this ,We always like new members,please keep posting anything you remember about the case ~

justDONTEATUS :tu:

• Like 1

Really what will be the point? And what would a craft that 'could' change shape - do to its occupants?

Nah sorry, not buying it all, ever. Period! But as you say, it does make a good tale

I'll go further than that, I have a problem with any ufo related story where said ufo makes a brief appearance only to disappear & never to be seen again, which pretty much is all of them. Would we spend the time & effort needed to develope inter-galactic space travel only to cross eons of space to scrabble around in the dirt & totally ignore any indigenous or intelligent life form, jump back on this ship never to return. The whole premise behind alien visitation is beyond a joke.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

I'll go further than that, I have a problem with any ufo related story where said ufo makes a brief appearance only to disappear & never to be seen again, which pretty much is all of them. Would we spend the time & effort needed to develope inter-galactic space travel only to cross eons of space to scrabble around in the dirt & totally ignore any indigenous or intelligent life form, jump back on this ship never to return. The whole premise behind alien visitation is beyond a joke.

There are many, many astronauts, pilots, and others, who would strongly disagree with you, but its your opinion, and you are entitled to it.

• Like 2

the lighthouse theory.

THIS WAS NO LIGHTHOUSE!

Welcome to the forum

Thank you for a personal view, a locals perspective is always valued. However, I am perplexed at your insistance of the event being explained by the lighthouse alone, this was never the case to my recollection, the entire event was kicked by by a fireball to my recollection. It was a series of events leading to confusion, and The Lighthouse can indeed be seen from the forrest, this from Ian Ridpaths site, with picture.

You seem to have more issues than that though by way of your cryptic description above, could I ask you to extrapolate on points you feel are relevant to the situation, and counter conventional explanations?

vince.jpg

Flashes: Vince Thurkettle interviewed by me in Rendlesham Forest for BBC TV in October 1983. The lighthouse beam is seen over his shoulder, above left of the blue on-screen clock. Click on the picture to go to a separate page from which you can download a movie file showing the lighthouse flashing.

SUMMARY

Although the overall case is complex, the main aspects can be summarized as follows:

Security guards saw bright lights apparently descending into Rendlesham Forest around 3 a.m on 1980 December 26. A
burned up over southern England at the same time.

The guards went out into the forest and saw a flashing light between the trees, which they followed until they realized it was coming from a lighthouse (Orford Ness).

After daybreak, indentations in the ground and marks on the trees were found in a clearing. Local police and a forester identified these as rabbit scrapings and cuts made by foresters.

Two nights later the deputy base commander, Lt Col Charles Halt, investigated the area. He took radiation readings, which were background levels. He also saw a flashing light in the direction of Orford Ness but was unable to identify it.

Col Halt reported seeing starlike objects that twinkled and hovered for hours, like stars. The brightest of these, which at times appeared to send down beams of light, was in the direction of Sirius, the brightest star in the sky.

There are many, many astronauts, pilots, and others, who would strongly disagree with you, but its your opinion, and you are entitled to it.

No, I do not believe that at all. There is a smattering of nutters like there is in every situation, the UFOlogists pounce on every neutral position and claim it is positive to try and boost numbers. The Edgar Mitchell fiasco is a fine example of people who think others know more than they really do. I really hate that Dr Mitchell is more likely to be remembered as that funny little man who believes in little green men and spent a short time with NASA as opposed to the 6th man to walk on the moon. I do feel UFOlogy is again robbing the globe of it's rightful historical record, and it is damaging the reputation of one of our space pioneers, which I consider to be one of the most important chapters in the history of mankind, past present and future. For this, UFOlogy should be completely ashamed and thinking people should not support the nutter side of the investigation. Fringe is 99.9% worthless and 0.1% crap.

Now why would an astronaut or pilot be better equipped with the question of alien life than an astrobiologist (or everyday biologist for that matter) or engineering expert? You know, I think people make the very basic childish association of people in the sky see UFO's in the sky better than other people because they are up there.

UFOlogy is the most detrimental thing to ever happen to UFO's.

• Like 2

Must I bring my Texas A$$ WHoopin Ways into this debate? We ALl Know that E.T IS just sitting at the pub laughing It`s whatever off at us !

Remember they are Everywhere ! Just go to your local pub and look for yourselfs ! :alien:

There has been a development in the Rendlesham Forrest Incident....

US Servicemen Burroughs and Penniston who were sent to the crash site in Dec. 1980 (and Penniston even touched the craft)...

Spoke to the Citizen's Hearing on Disclosure earlier this year...

They suffered bad health after the encounter but found that their medical records had been classified.

The retired congress men and women at the Hearing were not happy about this and vowed to look into the matter.

More on this can be seen on my thread here....

http://www.unexplain...c=247365&st=105

:tu:

Edited by bee

This video featuring Burroughs and Penniston is a bit of a shocker...

When he touched the craft Penniston got a 'download' of a binary code, that he kept quiet about for years..

Penniston doesn't actually believe the craft to be 'aliens'....but us from the future !!!

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMMOxHGWSvY&feature=player_embedded[/media]

A flying...time warping...communicating lighthouse..?

Nah...don't think so.... ;)

• Like 1

A flying...time warping...communicating lighthouse..?

Nah...don't think so.... ;)

I guess its still better than Venus showing incredible speed and being able to hover 20 metres from the ground :w00t::innocent:

• Like 1

There has been a development in the Rendlesham Forrest Incident....

US Servicemen Burroughs and Penniston who were sent to the crash site in Dec. 1980 (and Penniston even touched the craft)...

Spoke to the Citizen's Hearing on Disclosure earlier this year...

They suffered bad health after the encounter but found that their medical records had been classified.

The retired congress men and women at the Hearing were not happy about this and vowed to look into the matter.

More on this can be seen on my thread here....

http://www.unexplain...c=247365&st=105

:tu:

And which exact location for the alleged crash site - the claim for this has changed at least 3 times.

Unless I am missing something about the Rendlesham forest incident, I was not aware of a crash incident there. I have read a lot of literature about this incident. Landings yes, at least a couple of times, but I don't think there was a actual crash landing.

• Like 1

Unless I am missing something about the Rendlesham forest incident, I was not aware of a crash incident there. I have read a lot of literature about this incident. Landings yes, at least a couple of times, but I don't think there was a actual crash landing.

Good point...

Although interestingly I have heard Penniston say somewhere (can't remember where now) that he had the impression or theory

or something similar...that the craft might have been somehow in the wrong place, that it wasn't meant to land there.

That might be where the coordinates in the binary code come into it.

And speculating on this point further :) perhaps the nuclear material in the area had something to do with interfering with finding and

landing at the desired location. Perhaps the nuclear material changed space time coordinates for time travellers coming from the

future...and they ended up in Rendlesham Forrest in December 1980, instead of somewhere else at some other time?

Just a thought....

:geek:

• Like 1

Yea, Penniston spoke of the craft on the ground and actually walking up and touching it at some point. There was no talk from him of a "crash".

It's been a couple years since I've seen/heard his testimony, but as I recall he testified it rose up after 30-40 minutes on the ground and then very quickly vanished.

Here is Penniston's sketch of the craft:

UFO%20Sketch.jpg

And his copy of the pictograms he saw on the craft that he actually touched:

UFO%20Symbols.jpg

In this short 5 minute clip virtually all of the key witnesses testify to what they saw.

Game over boys.

• Like 1