Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Brain in love feels like being on Heroin

LostSouls7

So I was watching this video on youtube.

And i find it interesting.

I don't really believe in love.

But this kind of crazy.. they say being in love is like being on heroin?

or at least the effects on the brain.

And get this some people feel like this everyday for over 25 years.

They tested a married couple in love with a brain scan..

and the findings matched the same intense emotion of

a newly in love couple...

So I guess all that crap about love fading and the honey moon phase was all BS.

What do you all think?

MAybe this explains everything ...

217547_583100395047445_1625958349_n.jpg

I happen to believe this is very true ....

~

I need a love fix. I'm jonesin' bad...

• Like 1

I believe in agape love.

Romantic love is to dangerous. It's like you give you heart and soul to a person...

i couldn't give anyone that much power over me.

However I have never done Heroin... so I'm not sure how I would know if I am truly in love.

In no way shape or form is being in love like being on heroin. I'm not going to go into great detail with my experience with heroin, but I will just say I wasn't willing and it was bloody terrifying and I passed out. Love has never led me to feel anything but warm and safe and happy.

In no way shape or form is being in love like being on heroin. I'm not going to go into great detail with my experience with heroin, but I will just say I wasn't willing and it was bloody terrifying and I passed out. Love has never led me to feel anything but warm and safe and happy.

What they mean is that the same pleasure chemicals released when you feel love are released when taking drugs like heroin. Other pleasurable, and often not so pleasurable, aspects of drugs like heroin aren't involved. The parts of getting sick and losing consciousness are not what is being referred to. The happy and pleasurable feelings are.

But they said it incorrectly. It should be: taking heroin gives a similar feeling to being in love. The latter is natural and real, and the former is induced, or tricking the brain, through chemically altering narcotics.

I didn't think this was new news, though.

We have always known that drugs trick the brain into releasing the pleasure and happiness chemicals Serotonin and Dopamine into the brain, things that the brain naturally releases as part of the human reward system. Natural beneficial things like falling in love, exercising the body, being successful at something, etc, are examples of acts that release the 'reward juices'. A drug addict will soon find that they are no longer able to have those two magical chemicals released naturally in themselves, even when doing beneficial things that normally would get them the reward, and need to rely on the drugs to get them their reward chemicals released. This is a big part of addiction, and why many addicts need to do drugs, just to 'be normal', as they're in a persistent state of anedonhia when not using.

There are many other drugs that give similar sensations to that great feeling of love. I'm guessing the article just used heroin as an example, because it is the most 'hardcore' drug. I used to do many other 'hardcore' drugs, and there were many similar happy and pleasurable moments fueled by the release of Serotonin and Dopamine.

Bottom line:

Love makes you feel good.

Drugs make you feel good (temporarily, and in a rapidly debilitating way)

End of lesson!

*edited to add that drugs only temporarily make you feel good, and are highly debilitating*

Edited by _Only
  • Like 1

However I have never done Heroin... so I'm not sure how I would know if I am truly in love.

Have you ever felt really good?

That's how it (love) feels.

Exchange heroin with anything that makes you feel really good.

Edited by _Only

Bottom line:

Love makes you feel good.

Drugs make you feel good (temporarily, and in a rapidly debilitating way)

End of lesson!

*edited to add that drugs only temporarily make you feel good, and are highly debilitating*

This is a GREAT point! I used to drink a lot of vodka etc in my younger days try to always feel good.

I admit my drunk days were fun! Getting drunk, watching movies.. playing video game and listening to music.

However i was not productive and had no money or all money went to the drink.

I know a lot of people who do drugs and drink heavy. Perhaps the reason we have so many drug addicts and drunks is because they have not found love?

In my present life. I feel good everyday, high off life, and I drink Kale juice whichs gives me a natural high

and energy.

I believe fniding the inner love and energy.. and having your mind state always happy as possible..

is better than falling love... because when in love.. you have the possibility of being lied to and being broken hearted.

I was cheated on and lied to before, so I no longer believe in anyone but myself.

However I still live a great and happy life :) perhaps one day I will be open to love again..in the

meantime I just want to live happily

• Like 1

Have you ever felt really good?

That's how it (love) feels.

Exchange heroin with anything that makes you feel really good.

Yes i actually was in love once. But was broken hearted..

i killed my emotions and fell in darkness for a couple years..

but now I feel that "love" feeling everyday.. just high off life...

and drinking Kale juice which is wonderful.

And a few beers here and there..

I agree with _Only, I think it's more of a comparison to show out that both love and drugs affect your mind, hormones, behavior and are often times associated with irrational actions and feelings. If anyone is interested in reading about hormones, there's lots of stuff on oxytocin and pair bonding. I think Larry Young gave a good talk that's on youtube too.

But this one is just really cool for watching, Stanford's Love Competition - people go into a fmri for 5 minutes to love as hard as they can. Check it out here - http://vimeo.com/ondemand/457/33698394

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/02/love-competition/

84311.png

carry on ....

• 3 years later...

I've tried all the possible drugs, but what love, the chemistry creates in brain is the only high you need. Everything else is substitute. 

The Holy Dopamine has no shame.

Nail this Dopamine God to a cross then we'll talk ...

~

On 6/3/2013 at 1:29 AM, LostSouls7 said:

What do you all think?

Lasting love happens, best friends, soul mates and letting each other grow. You're always rediscovering each other so the original drug like effect on brain continues. 

On 6/2/2013 at 10:29 PM, LostSouls7 said:

What do you all think?

Dopamine