Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

15 New Bird Species Found In The Amazon

Still Waters

The Amazon rainforest, a well-known epicenter of biodiversity, has offered up another trove of riches. The treasure takes the form of 15 newly described bird species. Some are tiny. One has a long, curved bill. Another is super fluffy. All live in the southern Amazon, most of them in an area known as the “arc of deforestation.”

It’s been 140 years since as many new Brazilian bird species were described at one time.

http://www.wired.com...mazonian-birds/

• Like 5

Amazing and fascinating.

Are they mutated or evolving as they belong to an order that includes ravens, sparrows, and finches. or birds which have always been there, but never discovered before?

• Like 1

Amazing and fascinating.

Are they mutated or evolving as they belong to an order that includes ravens, sparrows, and finches. or birds which have always been there, but never discovered before?

Yes, a very good point indeed. If they are mutations then they mightn't have been there a very few years ago. I wonder what the experts would have to say about that.

cool i love seing new species, its refreshing to know not everything has been discovered

• Like 1

Amazing and fascinating.

It is no surprise to me. The Amazon rainforest is very dense, and scientists have not researched the whole area. It's not easy terrain to travel through.

"Describing new species is not a trivial task," Silveira said. Many sang different songs, or had different genetic sequences than previously known birds. "We considered a bird as a new species when at least two of the three criteria plumage, voice, and genetics were consistently different from some previously known and closely related, already described species."

So I guess they need to catch the birds to determine the genetics. I hope they aren't hurting them to do so.

Edited by paperdyer

Incredible, I love hearing about new species being discovered, just fills me up with hope

Just one thing I'm curious about, the "arc of deforestation"?. I find it strange that they are discovered there, but i'm no ornithologist :blush:

Yeah, great discovery. Unfortunately, deforestation by companies and locals in such regions are threatening our ability to find interesting, perhaps beneficial, new plants and creatures.

Makes you wonder could there be a better species of man hidden away in there....