Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Solved] What's on the language filter list?

rashore

I'm wondering what's on the language filter list. I mean there are obvious ones like the F bomb and C word.. but I've come across other words that get filtered out like terms I didn't really think were offensive, or product names- I just had a pharmaceutical product get filtered, I had no idea it was a no- no.

Sometimes words have more than one use/meaning, or are considered rude only in certain locations. The language filter can't discern between these differences.

Only the administrator can add or remove words from the language filter. If you think something is being incorrectly filtered my suggestion would be to hit the report button so that Saru can review the word.

• Like 1

Recently, I tried to recite a passage from the poem, "The Owl and the ***** Cat'. It didn't work.

• Like 3

This is an example of what Lilly was explaining, a word which has been placed on the filter because of it's use as an insult or in a crude context, but which also has an innocent use.

In this case it is used so rarely in the innocent context that personally I would leave it filtered but, as I said in my previous post, all such decisions or Saru's.

As a separate issue I would make this point, if this thread degenerates into a list of crude words that are filtered it won't remain open very long.

I don't have a problem with any words for the filter. I was just wondering what they were because I was surprised that a product name was filtered.

One favourite example was the name of a US Air force base in England, Bentwaters, which used to be (i don't think it is now) asterisked out, or at least part of it was. Why not try to guess which part it was? :innocent:

There is a Danish chewing gum named Bum

edit for :)

Edited by Tutankhaten-pasheri

As a separate issue I would make this point, if this thread degenerates into a list of crude words that are filtered it won't remain open very long.

Totally understood.

I also noticed that we could say 'ass' but not '****'.

Edit: That would be 'a-r-s-e'. Again, I'm sorry if I'm seen to be sidelining this thread into a list of crude words. But, I don't think so. :)

I can call someone a 'jack ass', but I can't say '***** cat'?

Edited by Likely Guy

I like language filters. But I was dismayed at a.r.s.e..

After all, we all have one. Or, we may be one.

Edit: :)

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

It is more sophisticated than it was. For instance, it doesn't filter out the name of the popular football manager Mr. Wenger or the name of the popular club in north London he manages now, at least.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh
  • Like 1

I would say that a filter is not what is really needed to keep heavy users of offensive language off the board. That would be a violation of the rules and get them delisted. I supposed this does help with kiddie filtering software though.

As the original question has been addressed and to avoid this thread being turned in to a crude mess I'll set this one to "solved".

• Like 1