Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Strange New Disorder

Arbenol

There appears to be a serious affliction going around here. The major symptom appears to be that whilst members are making posts, they are subject to incongruous outbursts. These outbursts tend to take the same general form.

For example, a poster may be contributing to a thread about alien probing techniques and then, for no discernible reason, shout something like: "OBAMA IS A MUSLIM". The details may vary, but it's always about this Obama fella.

I think it's a new type of Tourette's.

• Like 5

It's Obama, most people either love him or despise him. Like in politics in the rest of the country, the middle ground between stances are slowly disappearing.

Why do these types of obvious observations need threads?

Deja vu is answering, because everyone loves to troll on a ridiculous "leader" that the majority-fools- voted on.

There is really no discussion here, it's all ridiculous unthinking human behavior.

• Like 3

There is really no discussion here,

That's an interesting point. Let's discuss it.

• Like 7

I thought that this issue was health related. I'm confused.

• Like 1

I thought that this issue was health related. I'm confused.

Me too. Maybe we're coming down with it.

• Like 1

I think someone was bored this morning . Discuss .

• Like 2

I think someone was bored this morning . Discuss .

I've been painting all day. Fumes, you understand!

But there was a half serious point to the thread. I've seen it happen a few times. Here's an example from a discussion I was involved in yesterday:

I did not say this boy wasn't a hero. As for the firefighters I know their safe. The new york firemen had to be forced to stop looking for survivors by the police. This boy and first responders are heros. The president is not.

Now, where did that come from?

• Like 2

i have no idea...it's a drama! and that rhymes with what.....? THERE YOU GO!

• Like 1

i have no idea...it's a drama! and that rhymes with what.....?

Llama?

• Like 1

I have been using UM for a while now and I have not noticed this trend. Its an interesting point though and I will look out for it while reading threads in the future. ARBENOL68 IS A SMELLY OLD CHIMP. My problem is what to do when I come across these outbursts in peoples posts. Do I quote them and shame them, drop them a PM to politely let them know or just hit the report button?

I would be interested in you views on this...

• Like 3

Arbenol68 I understand your curiosity but I think it's not so unusual that people would weave a mental subtext into their writing. This guy has a LOT of influence in world affairs just now and it can be a temptation to blame him for everything but the common cold if you hate him to begin with... People who are stressed tend to be "preoccupied" I guess. For my part...I think he is the *^&%^$ who PUSHED Humpty Dumpty!!

• Like 3

I used the report button once when someone really fried me with personal and obscene insults. I immediately regretted it. I think we should report spam and similar violations when we are sure that is what it is, but not personal attacks. At least that is the policy I've adopted for myself. I just don't trust myself to be sufficiently objective and thick-skinned.

ARBENOL68 IS A SMELLY OLD CHIMP.

Have we met?

I won't deny there was a teensy exaggeration in my original post. But it seems all the rage to blame Obama for absolutely everything. Even with the most tenuous of links.

It put me in mind of a classic episode of Fawlty Towers (aren't they all?). In "The Germans", Basil is assaulted by a fire extinguisher. Following this he goes on a rant about how the extinguisher just sits there doing nothing, and then when you finally need it, it blows up in your face. He finishes this with the declaration "It's bloody Wilson" (referring to the then labour Prime Minister).

As for what to do when you encounter this phenomenon. Well, I think you have to treat it the same as if you were having a conversation with someone who has a terrible stutter. Carry on as if nothing's wrong.

• Like 3

It's not something OBAMA'S A MUSLIM I've observed myself.

• Like 5

It's not something OBAMA'S A MUSLIM I've observed myself.

I must admit I'm beginning to think I've been imagining it. Since I mentioned it, I've haven't seen a single example.

• Like 2

I've been painting all day. Fumes, you understand!

But there was a half serious point to the thread. I've seen it happen a few times. Here's an example from a discussion I was involved in yesterday:

Mmmmm,I see what you mean . Maybe its a new virus spread via animals air water and McDonald's .

It's called obamaitis ,and we will all becforced to endure painful vaccinations to make big pharm lots of money ,and keep us all safe from weird outbursts about the president of the USA

• Like 1

I must admit I'm beginning to think I've been imagining it. Since I mentioned it, I've haven't seen a single example.

Maybe avoid those fumes for a bit .

Maybe avoid those fumes for a bit .

I've got more painting tomorrow. Maybe it will start happening again.

Me too. Maybe we're coming down with it.

Oh dear, I do "OBAMA IS A MUSLIM". hope it is not contagious.

Do you know "OBAMA IS A MUSLIM" what the symptoms are "OBAMA IS A MUSLIM". and can you tell us so that I "OBAMA IS A MUSLIM". can be aware if it starts to "OBAMA IS A MUSLIM". affect me?

• Like 5

A fair point and accurate observation, Arbenol.

That it is only certain types attracted to such displays is revealing. That certain spheres of the internet attract these certain types should also be noted. Other places online are lacking, thankfully, of such malcontents and their misinformed views. None of it is based in actual scholarship but conspiracy theory instead.

Of course what anyone says, claims, or complains about reveals more about themselves than whatever they are commenting on. So a few are not happy and the internet is a peculator allowing the false bias consensus among them to stew. A study of history will show while the increase is new the origin is not. Some actually believed that FDR knew about Pearl Harbor before it happened and they had something like six congressional hearings over it full of partisan calls for impeachment. My fellow Christian Obama will be fine. Our democracy meanwhile suffers as the party of obstruction refuses to move forward on the agendas that matter such as repairing our national infrastructure. Bridges are actually falling.

Only when Democrats and Republicans fully agree on something will we have something concrete. That now only one party is making claims is not going to offer much glue in the way of lasting change or substantial complaint. No one is taking them serious and it probably does have something to do with obsessive compulsiveness, which some believe also plays into or shares similar features with Tourette's, but this is just a premature guess. More studies would be necessary to pin down any psychological reason for why some are so sure mistrustful to the point they feel the need to evangelize all of us but they are simply being greeted like the ding dong of a Jehovah Witness visit. Not buying into it no matter how much they offer toddler-like tantrum. Too bad there is not a timeout corner we could place them in during the interim...

Edited by The world needs you
  • Like 1

It'd be kinda neat if he were, but somehow I sorta doubt it. I know a lot of Muslims and they do things he doesn't do and he does things they don't do.

That he is not Islamophobic is about as far as I would take it.

Obama's religion is MONEY and POWER.

Like all politicians....

• Like 3

Obama's religion is MONEY and POWER.

Like all politicians....

yep and the only god they think there is, is themselves!

• Like 2