Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NSA Requests ALL Phone Records From Verizon

Dark_Grey

This is getting to be surreal...

http://www.washingto...lls-in-the-u-s/

http://www.usatoday....ecords/2394751/

http://www.wired.com...n-call-records/

http://www.guardian....zon-court-order

"Under the terms of the order, the numbers of both parties on a call are handed over, as is location data and the time and duration of all calls."

"The National Security Agency (NSA) has been collecting telephone records of millions of Verizon customers – right down to local call data – under a top-secret court order issued in April."

"Verizon is required to turn over information on all domestic and international calls on an "ongoing, daily basis," even if customers are not suspected of a crime"

Now, allegedly this order was granted for 3 months (May to July 19) and the content of the calls wasn't/isn't being recorded, but I would love to know what super-secret-mission they have going on that requires the phone records of every single Verizon customer in all of the United States!

Your move, America :unsure2:

• Like 6

The government is taking away the 4th Amendment from us with another excuse for every move it makes. That reason alone is reason to rebel, else we deserve neither liberty nor security. Forget "the Arab Spring", the extent of the rebellions of the 21st century aren't going to be contained by any geographical region or ethnicity.

I think unconstitutional government needs to hit people in the wallet before they wake up because it's too easy to fall asleep behind familiar walls.

• Like 5

"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy."

-James Madison

yeppers until the fear passed the patriot act nullifying that part...

Dan I meant to respond to your first quote...

• Like 1

Anything which travels through the air is already available, including all conversations. So a warrant is just a formality.

The people charged with keeping such secrets aren't subject to oversight.

• Like 1

I begin to think that the US Constitution is not unlike the Bible or the Q'uran in being misapplied too literally, and if this continues the document will become a noose around the neck of good and effective governance.

I also find it odd that those who preach ideological Constitutionalism seem unwilling or unaware that the document itself gives the Judicial power to the courts. Second-guessing the courts seems to be an American habit with harmful consequences.

• Like 1

what bollocking right does an American agency have to my private phone calls in Australia?

• Like 5

This information is only available because of a leaked document - that's the other side of this freak show. How many other times have the NSA logged millions of calls? It's so blatant, too. Not even targeting "terrorists" anymore...I wonder if this was a purposeful leak to instill a little fear into Americans and make them a little more careful of using anti-government speech..

• Like 3

what bollocking right does an American agency have to my private phone calls in Australia?

zero right..... and it is a clear violation of our founding principles here. Yet it passes and nothing is done. When such grievances pile on one another and the people do NOTHING to stop them, why shouldn't a government take all they are given? It has become so outrageous that it seems blood will literally have to be spilled before anyone takes notice or rouses from lethargy. All the people of this country really want for is a leader.
  • Like 2

zero right..... and it is a clear violation of our founding principles here. Yet it passes and nothing is done. When such grievances pile on one another and the people do NOTHING to stop them, why shouldn't a government take all they are given? It has become so outrageous that it seems blood will literally have to be spilled before anyone takes notice or rouses from lethargy. All the people of this country really want for is a leader.

Unfortunately, that's where all this is headed. The US has gone full speed ahead these last few years on putting a chokehold on its citizens. They have just enough legal safeguards in place where they don't even try to hide the tyranny anymore. Police literally dressing up in full combat gear to march on even the most peaceful protests. I'm sure you've seen the polls: there's a large number of Americans who are fed up and believe civil war is imminent in the next few years. I can't believe the times we live in!

• Like 5

This information is only available because of a leaked document - that's the other side of this freak show. How many other times have the NSA logged millions of calls? It's so blatant, too. Not even targeting "terrorists" anymore...I wonder if this was a purposeful leak to instill a little fear into Americans and make them a little more careful of using anti-government speech..

Most likely. Never underestimate the power of fear....

Whether we speak of a Warfare State, like the United States, or of a Welfare State, as exists in France and Quebec, both types use fear to keep their populations in check. If it is true that modern democracies are dependent on public opinion, it is equally true that public opinion in turn is largely dictated by fear.

Machiavelli famously expressed the simple principle behind this strategy: "Since it is difficult to join them together, it is safer to be feared than to be loved when one of the two must be lacking."

Taken from http://www.quebecoislibre.org/09/090115-16.htm

• Like 1

But, but, but, our government would not do this to us. We are the land of the free and the home of the brave, a model for the rest of the world. Our government works only for our best interests. I know this because the President said so! :innocent:

• Like 3

I begin to think that the US Constitution is not unlike the Bible or the Q'uran in being misapplied too literally, and if this continues the document will become a noose around the neck of good and effective governance.

I also find it odd that those who preach ideological Constitutionalism seem unwilling or unaware that the document itself gives the Judicial power to the courts. Second-guessing the courts seems to be an American habit with harmful consequences.

Your first statement is so stunning I'm not even going to respect it with a response. Moving onto your 2nd statement...

The federal government is a terrible arbiter of the federal government. The founders realized this and devised a brilliant design keeping three distinct branches uniquely divided in power. Over more than two centuries of practice we're experiencing too much overlap. Activist judges writing the law of the land, derelict Congress shirking its responsibility, overzealous executives playing the role of all three branches. If we don't contain our government with the rule of law, we will not constrain its power and liberty dies.

• Like 4

58804_401923786572308_1073897647_n.jpg

gom'ents all over just wants us all to keep mind on this idiot ....

~

• Like 3

58804_401923786572308_1073897647_n.jpg

~

:w00t:

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 1

This just allows me to wonder even more about the new facility in -Denver....-

*EDIT*

Sorry in Utah

Edited by Jessem
  • Like 3

This just allows me to wonder even more about the new facility in Denver....

What new facility in Denver?

When the government does something like this and people start saying 'well if you don't have anything to hide' I want to crawl under a rock but that will probably have a drone flying over it.

• Like 6

I have a notion that most of this listening behavior is quite normal around the world, and in fact very small. Foreign agents, criminal organizations, tax and market cheats, would-be revolutionaries and terrorists and assassins, and so on are all steadily getting access to sophisticated technologies, and government agencies charged with enforcing the law need to keep up.

It also appears that there has been independent court oversight, something few governments bother with.

I would be the last to say that the States has ideal government, but the reaction I see above, and especially the unfortunate and apparently completely ignorant response to my last message, tell me that there is too much worship of the Constitution and too little clear thought about it.

• Like 1

When the government does something like this and people start saying 'well if you don't have anything to hide' I want to crawl under a rock but that will probably have a drone flying over it.

:yes:

`it is amaising, no matter how bad gvmnt screws you, you find some sort of reason to justify it. you are a perfect subject.

• Like 1

Ugh. I hear you. Freedoms and rights are never an issue until it becomes YOUR issue. Why is it so hard for people to see the bigger picture?

• Like 3

Sorry, in Utah!

http://www.wired.com..._nsadatacenter/

It's probably done by now... I just saw something on it the other day.

*EDIT*

It's not done just yet "Supposedly"

Edited by Jessem
  • Like 2

Sorry, in Utah!

http://www.wired.com..._nsadatacenter/

It's probably done by now... I just saw something on it the other day.

*EDIT*

It's not done just yet "Supposedly"

"The NSA has become the largest, most covert, and potentially most intrusive intelligence agency ever."

I probably shouldn't say this out loud, but that centre seems like a big bullseye for any domestic terrorist freedom fighter.

Edit -- redefined "domestic terrorist"...

Edited by Dark_Grey
  • Like 1