Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1st woman in space says she would go to Mars

Waspie_Dwarf

First Woman in Space Ready for No-Return Mission to Mars

STAR CITY, MOSCOW REGION, June 7 (RIA Novosti) – Valentina Tereshkova, the first woman in space, said Friday that she disapproved of space tourists and would be prepared to leave retirement to undertake a one-way trip to Mars, her favorite planet.

Tereshkova, 76, was speaking ahead of the 50th anniversary of her June 16, 1963, blastoff, which propelled her into the record books and made her one of the Soviet Union’s most feted astronauts.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• Render

• Occult1

Well, great.

I hope it pays off. Sending a 76 year old on a one way trip can be seen as the logical thing. On the other hand she does face elderly health issues and who is to say she'll even make it to Mars?

I guess we can only try and hope we're not burning up all the finances along with it.

Render, you seem to be under the misappropriation that Tereshkova is actually going to be sent to Mars. In fact she was simply expressing her opinion that she would like to go. Your hostility is misplaced (or at best premature).

I don't think it would be appropriate to send a 76 years old woman to Mars. This is a perilous mission which needs Astronauts that are relatively young a fit. The mental and the physic will be pushed to the limit or beyond.

I am still not convinced about the Mars One mission. It seems not only highly perilous but it can turned into a disaster if the candidates screw up or simply loose their minds on their way to Mars.

Edited by sam_comm

Render, you seem to be under the misappropriation that Tereshkova is actually going to be sent to Mars. In fact she was simply expressing her opinion that she would like to go. Your hostility is misplaced (or at best premature).

No i didn't actually think she was being sent to Mars. I just picked up on the possibility of sending elderly into space for long lasting travels.

What hostility?

I actually meant it would be great if it happened but it has two sides , namely the well-known health issues that go along with aging.

What hostility?

I meant hostility to the idea, not in the tone of the post. My apologies, I didn't make that very clear.

I actually meant it would be great if it happened but it has two sides , namely the well-known health issues that go along with aging.

Whilst I agree that Tereshkova is too old for a mission, there is a school of thought that older astronauts should be selected for deep space missions. One of the biggest health issues is the increased risk in cancer. The radiation damage can take years or decades to show itself as cancer, hence astronauts in their twenties and thirties are more likely to have their life shortened than those in their fifties and sixties.

I meant hostility to the idea, not in the tone of the post. My apologies, I didn't make that very clear.

Then it was I who misunderstood. Apologies ;-)

Whilst I agree that Tereshkova is too old for a mission, there is a school of thought that older astronauts should be selected for deep space missions. One of the biggest health issues is the increased risk in cancer. The radiation damage can take years or decades to show itself as cancer, hence astronauts in their twenties and thirties are more likely to have their life shortened than those in their fifties and sixties.

Yes, for the cancer thing it could be more beneficial to send the elderly. But i was thinking more along the lines of muscle mass and mental health.

Who is to say how the elderly mind can cope with solitary in space? Does radiation cause more rapid degeneration of the mind? What about things like high blood pressure etc...

But anyway, we wont know for sure until we actually try it.