Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First Ever Video of 'Sea Serpents'

Commander CMG

Scientists have released what is believed to be the first ever good quality video of a healthy oarfish. An oarfish, according to the Florida Museum of Natural History, "are greatly elongated, large fish in the family Regalecidae [Latin for 'royal']".

The video was recorded in 2011, via a Remotely-Operated Vehicle (ROV) in the northern Gulf of Mexico. The machine was operated by Mako Technologies and was part of a research project called SERPENT, which is a collaborative effort between marine researchers and the oil and gas industries.

According to the authors of the study documenting the observation, there were "five in situ observations of live oarfish". The research was published online in the June issue of the Journal of Fish Biology.

What is an Oarfish?

Little is known of the physiology and nature of oarfish, given their natural habitat is often in excess of 3,200ft below sea level. The largest officially documented specimen was reported at 36ft in length but the average is believed to be 10ft.

arrow3.gifView: Read more

• Like 1

Awesome. I love the Bioluminescence

There is a video somewhere of a large dying oarfish that came ashore in Bermuda, with some people holding it in a tide pool. They are quite large and are beautiful fish. It is very interesting to see one in its natural habitat. It doesn't look particularly fast as fish go and it's surprising they have not been seen before on deep dives. Perhaps they are fairly rare?

Amazing! I like how it propels itself.

Thank you so much for sharing that with us. They are remarkably graceful in motion. From what I have heard, they are creatures of the depths and may be blind.

Such a beautiful capture.... it looks as if it's floating in space.

That fish is incredible, i didn't realise how big it was either. But the bioluminescense is amazing, i love the random pink dots that dart around it's body as if someone is shining a laser pointer at it. Nice find.

• Like 2

i like it's wavy fin lol.

Yeah, and I'm sure you noticed how seemingly complex this is.

While watching this, I saw, for example, parts of it's front "fin" undulating backwards, while the back of the elongated fin structure would undulate forward. And vice-versa. As if it can control seperate parts of the fin at one time.

During "hovering" in mild deep ocean currents, the oarfish seems to have an exceptional, dynamic control over it's elongated "fin"

Amazing creature to be sure.

Wierdly beautiful.

* I notice the usual moronic comments, of course; the most recent one in fact says "Hoaxxxx!!! Craaapppp...video."

:rolleyes: