Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Monster mosquitoes invade central Florida

Still Waters

Giant mosquitoes the size of a quarter are invading central Florida and officials are warning residents to beware of the 'notoriously aggressive' bloodsuckers.

Entomologists at the University of Florida predicted the massive insects, known as gallinippers, would descend on the sunshine state in record numbers this year after drenching rains from Tropical Storm Debbie. Now the mammoth monsters have arrived, being spotted in Seminole County.

The frightening supermosquitoes, native to the eastern half of the United States, are 20 times the size of an ordinary mosquito and their bite is unusually painful.

http://www.dailymail...eavy-rains.html

• Like 1

blwaughhhhh!!! Bugs like that are one of the reasons I don't live in a warmer clime.. Eeep!

Too much DEET is bad for you. Well, any amount of it isn't really good for you either. We have a large pond and live in a wet area, and the skeeters are really aggressive here along with the ticks. We've used lots of DEET, but it's bad and expensive, so we have started switching to other deterrent methods. I'm thankful ours aren't huge like that.

• Like 2

We have a few mosquitoes in spring but not many. I go out at night all the time and rarely get bit and I'm so glad they aren't that big.

weird thing about mozzies, is that we don't get them.

mainland europe's plagued, the US is plagued, but us, in the middle, don't suffer from them, and that's kinda odd.....

not that i'm complaining or anything!

• Like 1

If you have standing water it makes them much worse. They have to have standing water to breed in.

• Like 1

If you have standing water it makes them much worse. They have to have standing water to breed in.

that might be the reason Hil, there's not much standing water in britain 'cause it rains all the bloody time!!

yaaayy! for crappy weather!

:-)

Funny they are called monster in Florida. In Minnesota / Wisconsin that's the norm. In Minnesota they are called out with a title there they are called. "State Bird"